Commander Roleplaying

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
intro
roleplaying is not only fun for pen&paper games like d&d, it can be good for a spontaneous joke in everyday life every now and then as well. but will it work out when playing as a ns2 commander? i've seen it working on the field at least (some person has been posting some very entertaining videos, long ago).

to give you an idea: the most cliché (but fun) role would probably be a hard-core veteran as marine commander with lines like
"shotguns? you don't need no shotguns sonny. back in MY days we killed lerks with our bare hands!"

other characters:
marines: emotional/scared ("oh my god they are coming out of the vents! help me, defend me! *girly scream*"); (mad?) scientist ("most excellent, now build the <structure> for <technical stuff with disregard of human life>")
kharaa: sadist ("yessss, make them sufferrr")

now, why would one actually want to roleplay as commander? some potential (=theoretical!) advantages:
1. fun
2. less serious game -> less stress (e.g. when losing)
3. deliver bad news/refuse-to-suggestion/"scolding" in entertaining ways -> might be accepted better by the individual/team
4. motivation/morale of the team: if they are entertained, they might try to interact/participate and following your orders/going where the action is are straight-forward ways to do so; they might also be less likely to ragequit

obviously there are also some downsides:
1. having some prepared statements can surely help to set the mood, but for this to actually work out you have to improvise a lot, which can be hard if you are otherwise busy with micromanagement (-> massive multitasking necessary)
2. if the roleplay turns out silly, it might be embarassing :D
3. overhead/irrelevance in voice chat

i'm not a native speaker so i'm not that great at roleplaying in english (different roles require different vocabulary / phrases / accents etc.) so i didn't dare ruining a match with this yet :D i figure a roleplaying commander will be a lot less effective. but: i've also experienced how very crucial and possibly game-changing the motivation of a team can be.

so... has anyone ever tried this? if yes, how was it? if not, do you think it will work out (under what circumstances / preperations)? do you have any ideas for characters and/or funny phrases for them?

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    when playing as the Orange Marines in Marine versus Marines, I like to pretend we're the evil/infested marines shouting unwavering worship to a hive mind >:3
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've been around the block a few times, played many types of games, managed people and projects. I have a young child who has imaginary tea parties with his cuddly toys. Still, no matter how many times I've seen and/or tried it, I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy role play. :(
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy role play.
    have you ever seen and enjoyed a movie? then you have already enjoyed role play :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    have you ever seen and enjoyed a movie? then you have already enjoyed role play :)

Acting and role play are distinct activities. Furthermore, watching a movie isn't role play at all in any sense. Making a film (something I have dabbled with briefly with hilariously bad results) requires the ability to play a role. I still view this as very different from acting a role with no other purpose than to act the role (eg not to make a production).

I'm convinced that it's a deficiency on my part not to get it. Many of my close friends are happily pretending to be dwarves of a Tuesday night - it's just not for me!
    edited April 2014
    wether its filmed or you have a "live audience" (even if it only were the participants) makes not much of a difference imo. the only difference would be that you either improvise or have a script (if you improvise, it's usually still prepared to a certain degree). essentially, i'd say it's the same thing: as you put it, playing a role.
    but i get your point about watching being quite a different thing, guess i missunderstood you there.
    i also admit my previous post was a bit provoking :) just wanted to point out that in a sense, its fairly popular (film & theater, whereas improv. theater is often quite fun too btw)
    agreed, theatre is great. I just meant that pretending to be a 5'8" elf isn't theatre ;)
    what if the elf is called oberon? ^^
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As aliens I accidentally got my team to submit to the human race once. It started when I decided to chuckle at a marine instead of biting him. He then decided to not shoot me.

He: "Come here, doogy"
    Me: "Warf. Warf."
    He: "Guys dont shoot. They wont bite us."

(I told my team in voice chat to not attack the marines, hoping some more would jump on the train)

And they did! Soon enough no more engagements were happening on the map and the marines (our new masters) were organizing us in groups and leading us around.

At some point about 5 skulks were in the marine base, and someone had the idea to snipe the command chair from them as a surprise. The marines had anticipated this though (old habits die hard) and reacted quickly by dropping another chair and killing all the skulks. In the end it became a normal roflstomp game, but this short period of peace and friendship was pretty amazing to witness.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »

Acting and role play are distinct activities. Furthermore, watching a movie isn't role play at all in any sense.

In a sense they very are similar, as both rely very much on suspension of disbelief to provide entertainment. One just more so than the other.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Best Comm I ever had was back in NS1, and he was acting more like a Team Dad than anyhting else.

It was a heavy turtle, and we were gearing up for a comeback, but people kept running out and dying alone with their HMG

Best quote from any comm ever on wasting res:

"This is why we cant have nice things"
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As the khammander I often will refer to the "marines" as aliens. I will proclaim our superiority over them, for they have no claws and rely on those silly pellet shooters! ALL WILL BOW BEFORE THE HIVEMIND!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    james888 wrote: »
    As the khammander I often will refer to the "marines" as aliens. I will proclaim our superiority over them, for they have no claws and rely on those silly pellet shooters! ALL WILL BOW BEFORE THE HIVEMIND!

They have far better legs, though.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I have once or twice role played as Commander Boreale while being the marine commander. Basically using every quote from THIS vid. Calling the assault rifles bolters and my troops speech marheens and other 40k references. Quite successful and incredibly epic in last stand scenarios when the aliens have been quiet for a while and you know they are gathering up their oni for a final rush. Improvising codex maneuvers is pretty easy and entertaining aswell
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like to roleplay that I trust my team to do stuff.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

How are the "marines" have better legs? We have our skulks legs are stronger, and have feet that hold onto walls. The legs may be better than the blessed gorges, but no marine can compete in adorability. Our lerks don't need legs for they have wings. Our fades legs can jump higher than a marine, and the fade doesn't even need them with its blinking through space. Our onos have better legs too, but one can not tell because the onos weighs so much it. Kharra POWER forever!
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

How are the "marines" have better legs? We have our skulks legs are stronger, and have feet that hold onto walls. The legs may be better than the blessed gorges, but no marine can compete in adorability. Our lerks don't need legs for they have wings. Our fades legs can jump higher than a marine, and the fade doesn't even need them with its blinking through space. Our onos have better legs too, but one can not tell because the onos weighs so much it. Kharra POWER forever!
    It doesn't beat those nice, tan, long legs of those marines. Mmmmmmm.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Well, try catching a marine that's jumping like a kangaroo, then.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I roleplay not being an angry German. It's not working out for me very often.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I put on my robe and wizard hat and cast lvl 3 mic spam.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

Well, try catching a marine that's jumping like a kangaroo, then.

That is not hard, he slows down after every jump. Flawed biology I would say.