Monitor Discussion

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
edited April 2014 in Off-Topic
Redirecting here from another thread to continue discussion.

Response time: On 120hz/144hz, 7 ms is for some old ones that use interpolation, 5 ms for the cheaper ones, 3 ms for decent ones, and 1 ms for the good ones. On 60hz, 7 ms is decent for non-gaming monitors, 5 is decent for gaming monitors, and 1-3 is for good ones. I am referring to gtg.

Frame latency: Time between consecutive frames, can make even 120hz look choppy.

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys im so glad that my 1ms 60hz monitor can update within 1ms with my 16ms old frame.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for continuing to inform us how ignorant you are.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @coolitic‌ - If you did just the smallest amount of investigation, you would understand how these 'fake' ultra low response figures are generated.

Generally 8ms is a valid response time, high end monitors can have a response time as low as 5ms.

However, spouting a time is one thing, but what does it mean? If you investigate further, you find that most of the 5-8ms response time monitors are quoting the response time for Black>Black. Most of the sub 5ms monitors quote the response time for Grey>Grey, so you cannot compare them.

Monitors are a very wide ranging subject. You are also lumping all monitors in one, not taking into account all the different panel types available. At the end of the day, you have gained a little bit of knowledge about something, made some bold statements and unfortunately, made them to people who understand a lot more about monitors than you do.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    I know this. And I did specifically say in my post that I was referring to gtg. TN panels have fast response times, are cheap, have low viewing angles, and not the best color output. IPS panels generally have wide viewing angles, great color output, and even though most of them have higher response times here is an example of one with 5ms (and yes, I am still referring to gtg): http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VG23AH/

There are more kinds of monitors, but these are the main ones and I would prefer not to make a list.

Most monitors I have seen refer to gtg response time anyways, since it is more marketable.
    edited April 2014
    Also, let me say now that monitors response time has negligible effects on the player's response time (just in case a few of you might be thinking that). Low response times only have the use of minimizing ghosting and allowing for higher refresh rates.

To show that human response time is much longer than the monitors, take this test: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

Human response time is better when hearing things rather than seeing things, as proven by comparing that first test to this one: http://cognitivefun.net/test/16

And I will state it once more that I am not saying any of you actually think monitor affects player response time.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    i'm planning on getting a new monitor soon as well, i'm looking at the 24" benq.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6xPFjKa_M#t=66
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    i'm planning on getting a new monitor soon as well, i'm looking at the 24" benq.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6xPFjKa_M#t=66
    Go for it. Should be superb.

I made the mistake of getting an X2411Z which unfortunately has the bugged V1 firmware. Upgrading to V2 so I can use the Strobe Utility will take some effort but should be worth it.

I'm also disappointed in the Black Equalizer feature. My friend told me he never needed any gamma hacks anymore with it enabled and could see perfectly in dark and red rooms, but it doesn't do much for me, if anything. Am I missing something or am I just too used to cranking up gamma to the max? :(
    edited April 2014
    For most scenarios gamma should be 2.2; However, many monitors show 2.2 gamma as just 1 gamma to make it simpler. Try either one.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    coolitic wrote: »
    For most scenarios gamma should be 2.2; However, many monitors show 2.2 gamma as just 1 gamma to make it simpler. Try either one.

I know literally nothing about the subject, but gamma values are absolute...?
    This doesn't sound like it would make sense.
    edited April 2014

I know literally nothing about the subject, but gamma values are absolute...?
    This doesn't sound like it would make sense.

Thats just how it is on most monitors. You can look it up if you like.
    So after 2 minutes of research, yes gamma values are absolute and can be measured. Like volume can be measured in dBFS and light can be measured in lumen etc.

A measured gamma value of 2.2 is considered the "ideal for most situations" because it's the most neutral value. In audio terms, imagine a flatlined EQ spectrum with no altering of the source.

That is basically the exact opposite of what I asked for and want, so again, you're just spouting random ill-informed crap that is completely out of context. Not like anyone expects anything else at this point.
    Explain thoroughly what you are asking for, because it does not seem clear what you are asking.
    I'm also disappointed in the Black Equalizer feature. My friend told me he never needed any gamma hacks anymore with it enabled and could see perfectly in dark and red rooms, but it doesn't do much for me, if anything. Am I missing something or am I just too used to cranking up gamma to the max? :(

How is that in any way not perfectly clear? If you have no idea what the Black Equalizer feature is, why even bother responding with something random about gamma that is completely dumb and out-of-place in the context of me wanting to see better in dark rooms?
    edited April 2014
    I wasn't sure if you were having problems with Black Equalizer or gamma, since you mentioned cranking gamma to the max.

I suggest you treat others with a little more respect, as I am only trying to help you. Black equalizer basically makes the black levels lighter, which does not help you see in dark rooms.

If you want to see better in dark rooms lower the brightness of the backlight, not to be confused with the other brightness option, which just affects the black level.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014

Black equalizer works great for me, what picture mode are you in with your BenQ? I use a XL2420TE.

Do yourself a favor and just don't respond to coolitic lol.
    Black equalizer is great, but it does not do anything in dark rooms (great for dark rooms inside the game though). Dark rooms mean you need the picture to look less bright (to avoid bothering the eyes) so lowering the blacklight will obviously help.

Unless I totally misunderstood this and you specifically meant dark rooms inside the game, then black equalizer is almost a cheat code.
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I was talking about dark rooms in-game. If I were having trouble with my room being too dark, I would just turn on a light...

And BE doesn't seem to do anything for me. At least there's no noticable dynamic effect, which I thought was the whole point. I'm using an XL2411Z in FPS1 mode. Maybe I should read the manual...
    edited April 2014
    It wont help very much for very dark rooms, but is mostly good at in-game rooms that are only kind of dark.
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I was talking about dark rooms in-game. If I were having trouble with my room being too dark, I would just turn on a light...

And BE doesn't seem to do anything for me. At least there's no noticable dynamic effect, which I thought was the whole point. I'm using an XL2411Z in FPS1 mode. Maybe I should read the manual...

If you raise black equalizer, contrast and brightness all to max in the monitor menu settings you shouldn't have any black spots in rooms. They should all be lit up pretty well. Use the Standard Mode for more options. FPS1 is more of a limited mode that is tailored to CS players from what I recall.

It removes the spots that are ridiculously black and makes them more visible from what I can tell from using it on my monitor. If you want to raise the brightness of the entire room.. download Gamma Control and use a hotkey to raise the gamma or lower it on demand.
    Locklear wrote: »

If you raise black equalizer, contrast and brightness all to max in th...

I'm starting to think this is being done for competitive reasons, as when you put the settings to those extremes it doesn't look too pretty.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

I'm starting to think this is being done for competitive reasons, as when you put the settings to those extremes it doesn't look too pretty.

That's what black equaliser is for...
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On the subject of darkrooms: it's more exciting if you dont exactly see what you a poking into.

That's what black equaliser is for...

In FPS1 mode, it can be used just for pubs to get an edge or if you have poor eye sight afaik.