>That feel when your com goes shade hive

13»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    All that's required for shade to be viable is for the commander to actually use those drifters properly, meaning on time and just before engaging the enemy.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    I'm just waiting to see how premier teams play with hallucinations. Both how well aliens use them and how marines react.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    a big problem of shade hive is still a commander who does not use a single comm ability for it.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    I'm just waiting to see how premier teams play with hallucinations. Both how well aliens use them and how marines react.

Watch saunamen vs imagine (iirc?) that was played last weekend, fourth round saunamen goes shade...
    Sadly very rekt.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm not going to lie, shade fade is the best fade.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ^

Cele + Aura fading so gud.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I ALWAYS ADRENALINE LERK
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joshhh wrote: »
    ^

Cele + Aura fading so gud.

Indeed! But before 2nd hive ups arrive, I luuurve phantom fade.

>thp thp thp<

*marine turns around, his friend is dead with no possible cause in sight*

>thp<
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    I hate when your comm goes shift hive in pubs then neither enzymes or echoes forward crags or anything. You really may as well go shade or crag then because they are much more useful upgrades in pubs
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    duster wrote: »
    I hate when your comm goes shift hive in pubs then neither enzymes or echoes forward crags or anything. You really may as well go shade or crag then because they are much more useful upgrades in pubs

As a field player I wouldn't want to miss out celerity. (I don't use adrenaline, but there are players who can't play without.)
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    As a commander I use shift first and like shade second (esp with balance mod and whole mucus membrane).

The reasons behind this is that one I can echo out to the field structures without losing too many drifter or harvesters early game (maturity rates/less need for gorges), and secondly I've watch too many higher life forms die without cele/andren (poor walker fades).

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Main problem is that games often end before anyone even properly plays with shade abilities and thus hardly anyone knows how to play with them. Going shade first then handicaps the team badly. However in my opinion, going shade first gives aliens massive advantage at the beginning of the game, because you can ambush marines pretty much all the time, constantly. And since they don't have much upgrades, they go down like munchmallows. Shade at the end of the game makes much less sense once marines have bunch of Obs all over the map, bunch of resources to scan rooms, jetpacks that are a lot harder to ambush etc. I love cloaking/silence ability, it's just awesome. No need to crawl around, you just speed towards the enemy from behind, if not a direct kill, retreat nearby, cloak and repeat. It's just cool being a ninja.

Also, cloak/silence sucks on extended servers with 40+ players, because you just can't ambush anyone because they always come in big groups, which makes stealth stuff meaningless.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I love aura on lerk. It makes it so much easier to actually get a pick in a large fight with a lot of stuff going on in one room when you have lots of targes to choose from and not a lot of time to safely do it.

Hallucinations are brutal as long as the comm uses them at all. The ability cost of using the drifter a lot in any stage of the game doesn't really vary that much hive to hive, and if anything I think using mucous early ends up being the most expensive given how much you need to apply it to keep it effective.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    Adren fade ftw. Moves faster around faster with blink/shadowstep, escapes better. (ability energy cost too high)

I was just wondering, for how long does celery go down after being shot?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    coolitic wrote: »
    I was just wondering, for how long does celery go down after being shot?

Not at all. You are thinking pre250.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Adren fade ftw. Moves faster around faster with blink/shadowstep, escapes better. (ability energy cost too high)

Not faster than celery. Obviously.

Escapes better? You mean slower?

There is a skill to not running out of energy with celerity fade. Learn it.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    When I play combat, I always pick the shade upgrades followed by celerity. Aura is almost like a cheat code, and combined with phantom, allows me to rack up k/d ratios. In Vanilla games though, I prefer shift upgrades first since it makes me faster in combat and allows faster map response.
    Well, with blink, you technically move around faster and the adren allows you to use it more. Also shadowstep uses too much energy so, yeah.
    edited April 2014
    Does anyone think aura is a bit too good?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    I only use adrenaline on gorge. And that's late game when I'm bile bombing marines with armor 2/3 to support fades and oni. Early game gorge and every other lifeform, choose celerity.

As @meatmachine said, energy management is key. Celerity all the way.