In Game Sentivity and DPI

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Maybe your mouse DPI isn't actually set to 3500?

At 800 DPI (mouse setting) with your ingame sens would give about a 5cm 360... which is still high but more manageable if you wrist aim.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Maybe your mouse DPI isn't actually set to 3500?

dpi28sm1.png

I can only hope the razor program is not lying to me and is working. Any way to test DPI independently?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    No idea. I am not a fan of Razer mice. :P Anyway I guess that says you are on some crazy dpi... granted you are using profile 1 on your mouse.

I guess I will just assume you are a wizard and leave it at that.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    No idea. I am not a fan of Razer mice. :P Anyway I guess that says you are on some crazy dpi... granted you are using profile 1 on your mouse.

I remember talking to Tapppp on mumble and he said something along the lines of some high DPI and sensitivity. Don't remember the numbers, but I remember that his DPI multiplied by his sensitivity was around 12,800. So, it was pretty high and ridiculous.

• _Catfish__Catfish_ Join Date: 2014-03-29 Member: 195028Members
    One thing I was wondering about...:
    All of you who have mid to low sens settings seem to have went for high DPI / low ingame sens, instead of low DPI / high ingame sens.
    Why? Is there any advantage to having it set up this way?

I figured if I'd have "lowsens" everywhere (including windows), I'd adapt faster to using my whole arm instead of only the wrist to move my mouse.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I use 1400 DPI and 1.0 in-game sens, which is 29.6883 cm per 360 according to mouse-sensitivity.com. My marine aim has never been better (still inconsistent and not as accurate as comp players), but playing aliens can be tough at point-blank range.
    _Catfish_ wrote: »
    One thing I was wondering about...:
    All of you who have mid to low sens settings seem to have went for high DPI / low ingame sens, instead of low DPI / high ingame sens.
    Why? Is there any advantage to having it set up this way?

I figured if I'd have "lowsens" everywhere (including windows), I'd adapt faster to using my whole arm instead of only the wrist to move my mouse.
    I do the former sort of based on superstition, but if you think about it, increasing your DPI first affects your counts per inch on a hardware level, which is probably more accurate. There are some other good reasons for increasing your DPI first, which is documented in some mouse guides. I vaguely recall something about negative acceleration being introduced if you use a DPI that's lower than optimal for your screen resolution. Anyways, some people say that bumping either your DPI or in-game sens first is the same thing if the combination of the two result in the same cm per 360.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    According to mouse-sensitivity.com I actually need 3.8cm to do a 360.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    james888 wrote: »
    I was going to say something witty, alluding you to an invite-level soldier in TF2 who uses crazy high sensitivity. I forgot his name...

What's your DPI and in-game sens? :S
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Karnaj wrote: »
    I was going to say something witty, alluding you to an invite-level soldier in TF2 who uses crazy high sensitivity. I forgot his name...

Its on the first page, 5700 dpi 2.4 sensitivity. I only have about an 5-6 centimeters of space I can move to the right is why it is so low. I have become used to it though.
  • QubeQube Join Date: 2014-03-01 Member: 194434Members
    edited April 2014
    According to mouse-sensitivity.com, I would require 5.44cm to 360, although actual readings are lower probably because my windows mouse sensitivity is at 7/11. I have yet to notice any disadvantages not using 6/11 setting however.

Site lacks mouse readings for Warsow though, which makes me all kinds of sad.

Edit: The site actually does have values included for window pointer speed. I guess I'm terrible at making measurements.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Neoken wrote: »
    I do not have a ruler around to measure the actual distance... then again... it kinda does feel like a very short one.
    huehuehue

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do you need a ruler to measure 1cm?

That sensitivity and DPI is insane. You should be a micro surgeon or something.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Karnaj wrote: »

Its on the first page, 5700 dpi 2.4 sensitivity. I only have about an 5-6 centimeters of space I can move to the right is why it is so low. I have become used to it though.

I used to have that problem with my laptop, I had very little space on the desk I was using to move the mouse very far to either side. My solution was to raise my laptop up on a couple of books so I could use the space underneath it :)

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm at 800 dpi and 2.25 marines and 4.5 aliens.
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    DPI: 2200
    ingame: ~5.38 {i change it slightly time to time}
    360: 3 cm{i think}

i have very limited space to play so i have to play with high setting and with my wrist.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Neoken wrote: »
    I do not have a ruler around to measure the actual distance... then again... it kinda does feel like a very short one.
    huehuehue

Hey, I don't see you disclosing any length related facts either... :p
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Mouse: Logitech G500

DPI: 700
    In-Game Sensitivity: 8.4 (You can check this by typing in "setsensitivity" in console)
    Raw Input
    Mouse Acceleration Off
    FOV Max
    Mouse Software: Logitech Setpoint

Notes:

I don't use any mods to alter my experience (other than the ones the server forces upon me)

I can do 1 1/4 turns (405 Degrees) by bending my wrist from a forward position to either my left or right. I guess that would make it 2 1/2 Rotations from my wrist's max side-side.

I use a crappy Mouse tray thing attached to the underside of my desk's dock able keyboard tray.

I'm pretty competant in my aiming and reflex abilities as clearly demonstrated from my various videos/stream.

This is the same Mouse DPI I use for everyday Windows use / other games, and I do not change DPI on the fly, ever.

About a month ago my G500 was acting up and not "holding" it's mouse-down state a few fights, I threatened to replace it with the purchase of a brand new G700s, now my G500 behaves itself out of self preservation . I guess mice do have feelings "Soon" the G700s thought to itself as it now sits perched on my dresser as a cruel reminder to the G500 not to cross me again.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

What brand of mouse do you use?
    I usually get a new mouse every year. Just another nerdy thing I do lol. I'm currently using a Steelseries Sensei and love it. In the past I have used logitech, r.a.t., razer and some other odd brand mice.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition
    DPI: 1300
    In-game sensitivity: 7.5 *** used to be 9.89 but Dota 2 kinda messed up that up :P ***
    Polling Rate: 1000Hz
    Raw Input: On
    FOV: Default
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Mouse: Kone XTD
    DPI: 800 / 1000 for lerking
    Ingame sens: 1.2
    ~45cm/360° (or conveniently the size of my mousemat)

That still feels too fast to what I used to play UT on which was upwards of 60cm/360
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Mouse: Kone XTD
    DPI: 800 / 1000 for lerking
    Ingame sens: 1.2
    ~45cm/360° (or conveniently the size of my mousemat)

That still feels too fast to what I used to play UT on which was upwards of 60cm/360

Finally, someone after my own mouse mat :) I thought everyone played with low sensitivity.

• bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    mouse: g500
    dpi: 2000
    windows accel: on
    ingame 11.2

very much a wrist aimer, don't ask me how I manage to play with these ridiculous settings lol
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bonage wrote: »
    mouse: g500
    dpi: 2000
    windows accel: on
    ingame 11.2

very much a wrist aimer, don't ask me how I manage to play with these ridiculous settings lol
    I play with very similar ones, so lol, do not worry
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    DPI: 1600
    In-game sensitivity: 1
    USB 3.0 Port
    Locklear wrote: »
    DPI: 1600
    In-game sensitivity: 1
    USB 3.0 Port
    Mouse-feet: Replaced 39 times

Added some critical information for you Lock.
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently at 400 dpi, 2 in game. Maybe it's time to finally give in and increase my sensitivity a bit...
    edited April 2014
    @Retraced
    Sens is all personal preference. If you like it and it works for you, keep it.
    Unless you find yourself constantly under-correcting during a track, there's no need to increase your sense.
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    I'm generally fine during NS2- I have a large QcK mousepad so it's rare that I run out of space while tracking (resetting to the middle of the pad when needed is second nature at this point). It's more that I've been messing around in Quake and TF2 lately, and rocket jumping is a pain at about a 20 inch/360. Definitely helps for Scout and Sniping in general though. That said, Strenx and Mew (although mew uses acceleration) seem to do just fine.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Anyone else constantly feel the need to raise their sensitivity, but when actually trying always ending up setting it to even lower than before? I have not ever found a 'golden' setup so far. :(