Exosuits - Viability in competitive matches - Possible Solution

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I want one with a sword :D
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    and cluster bomb launcher mounted on the back, that can carpet bomb an area in front of it. Gundam style (or robotech I guess). Awesome
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    and cluster bomb launcher mounted on the back, that can carpet bomb an area in front of it. Gundam style (or robotech I guess). Awesome

That would be awesome. Cluster bombs FTW!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The exo should be built to counter certain alien strats - and not be an unstoppable behemoth.

For example: if it is deemed the exo should be a good counter to fades, then its abilities should be designed to help in fade-fighting situations (what exactly they are is up for discussion). The aliens could counter this with an onos, which would have special abilities against the exo. Once the onos comes in, marines would have to counter with something else (e.g. Jetpack/shotgun).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The 2 main drawbacks of an exo is that it is a big target and that it cant be beaconed. If they all had their own beacon then you would see too many exos late-game.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Exosuits have been beaconable for months now. Don't know where you've been.

They're just bad for their cost in general at the moment, unless you're in larger playercount games where you can actually afford to have people babysitting them with welders the whole time.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    The 2 main drawbacks of an exo is that it is a big target and that it cant be beaconed. If they all had their own beacon then you would see too many exos late-game.

What the fuck coolitic.

For the millionth time, have you even played this game?

• VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    So how about this:

-Make "nanobots research"
    -Make "exo powerup cycle of 1 or 2 seconds" (powered down exo cant move/shoot/turn. Powered up is your regular shooting exo.)

Exo when "powered down" releases small bots that weld stuff in limited area around it, including itself.

Gain for exos would be more autonomy but at potential risk if caught with pants down. In addition, exos could slowly self repair similar to alien "base regeneration" (not evolved regeneration).
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

What the fuck coolitic.

Not since 250 came out.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Vlaad wrote: »
    So how about this:

-Make "nanobots research"
    -Make "exo powerup cycle of 1 or 2 seconds" (powered down exo cant move/shoot/turn. Powered up is your regular shooting exo.)

Exo when "powered down" releases small bots that weld stuff in limited area around it, including itself.

Gain for exos would be more autonomy but at potential risk if caught with pants down. In addition, exos could slowly self repair similar to alien "base regeneration" (not evolved regeneration).
    I was going to 'disagree' initially but I kind of like this idea. You mean like Hawken style mech healing mechanics?
    Could be interesting with some tweaks.
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    Never played Hawken really, never got around in giving it a chance. I'm heartbroken with mech games.

Idea came from a exo-style model I wanted to get in spark but was discouraged by modding community saying that model/animation implementation requires big effort in digging around heaps of code.
    dont be silly it's the 'most moddable game ever'
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I know a lot of people don't move outside of their favourite forums. But there is a Comp player working on bringing more variety to the Exo. - http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134521/modular-exo-alpha

It's in early stages and needs more work, but it's an interesting idea to change up the Exo a bit.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    To be honest, I think I would enjoy the Simplicity of a Exo fist being replaced with a Large Welder.
    Melee Is obviously a Suicidal Move within a Exo, Mainly because Aliens Obviously Deal more damage to the Exo, And the Exo can't run away and Heal itself.
    Its a Unit in my opinion, Only designed as a Large scale Fire support Unit, Especially with Dual Rails or Minis.
    Given that role, Having it be able to Repair other Marines around it and have a Ammo dispensing field like in Planetside 2 would be a Lovely addition to the Exo and definitely Reinforce its role as Mobile Artillery.

Of course, A "Hawken" style Repair system
    Or being able to Spawn MACS to patch its Holes would also work nicely.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Technicaly you could buy a welder, hop out and weld your own exo, but part of the problem is exos tend not to live long enough for this to happen, or even manage to back up to do it.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    That method is rather slow and Dangerous ain't it?
    If a Lone skulk finds you, Its pretty much a death for you and a loss of Exo.
    Unless you do some quick thinking.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Armymonger wrote: »
    Solo exosuit operators, remember to pack your welder, motion sensor, high explosive mines and fluro traffic cones.

(edited) Oops I rarely paid attention to exo (taking) damage indicators. Guess I'm usually too focused on the overheating bars. :P

A small armour increase on the Exo would be nice.
    Armymonger wrote: »
    Solo exosuit operators, remember to pack your welder, motion sensor, high explosive mines and fluro traffic cones.

Actually, Exos would be a lot more viable if they receive more noticeable damage feedback, so lone Exos don't always fall preys to ambushes before they can even respond.

More damage output to make up for their Construction out of Tin foil?

Are you sure that doing so won't make it OP?
    Twin Gats Have a Pretty high DPS to me, Adding more might make it be able to Make a Onos think twice before charging.

Or do you mean adding a secondary Ability, Like a Stomp ability to Disrupt Aliens? I could really use that to counter Ankle biters.

• Meeko011Meeko011 NC, USA Join Date: 2014-04-14 Member: 195403Members
    Yeah, cause the counter to an Exo is to go behind it and bite it 4 times. Aliens would think twice about it if the exo could stomp and insta-kill everything 3 feet from it.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    We've published the first build of our ns bandaid mod. Classic (pre-balance mod) exos have been restored, more refining is required but they were in a much better spot before the changes were implemented.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    edited July 2014
    Maybe to deal with skulks, the rocket boots could actually lift the exo a good deal more and burn all skulks near the flame, then knock back nearby skulks when it drops on ground. This would solve the problem of skulks killing you exo and also make the rocket boots usfull.
    The rocketboots/stomp suggestion has been put forward many times @AnkleBitingKitty‌ , I've not seen it get much backing from anyone influential yet. Shame really, it never seemed like a terrible idea to me :-s
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    On top of reverting to the old, unbeaconable death machines that Exos used to be, I'd love to see the fist do AoE damage (small area directly in front of the exo).

This way, a single exo has a defense against a swarm of skulks, but its not OP against single ones.

Also, if it were an AoE in front of the exo, a skulk can still have a chance against a single gun exo by staying behind it.
    punching a skulk with the fist should grab its head and crush it for a 1hko - marine equivalent to devour ;)
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    or it could throw the skulk with great power activating its xenocide for a grenade effect against other aliens :)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited July 2014

What the fuck coolitic.

Just got back from a few months of no NS2, sorry.

Finally got my replacement gpu for my laptop. (ran into lots of problems)
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    replacing the stupid fist with a welder is the best idea for the exo, i also think we should give the exo a welder and go from there, this will make an exo much more useful as its capable of building RT's and repairing eachother after an engagement is done, the problem with one EXO is that its not strong enough with a marine buddy, the problem with 2 exo's is that the armor will get slowly chipped away especially with lerks and will eventually die only killing a couple of skulks and maybe an rt (not worth), giving welders to exo will help make them much more useful as they will be able to support eachother with sustained combat, exo's do not need mobility increase, armor increase or damage increase as much as they need to be able to support eachother and recap, sort of like heavy's in ns1

The ideas thats going around in this thread is giving me cancer, i would rather see exo's get untouched like joshy mentioned rather than seeing stomping clusterbomb exo's with private becon with the ability to catch skulks with its fist and use it as a hostage
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    a topic about making exo for competitive play viable

tells his idea is a personal becon

gets information and suggestions from kaneh whos a competitive commander player

kaneh gets his point reinforced by joshy whos another competitive player from titus

brushes it off

sticks to his idea which doesn't solve any problem the exo currently has

-ReapMyster 2014

• ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    Sharp-Shooter comes in and provides nothing to the discussion except expressing love for kaneh and joshy.

Ignores the point that kaneh and joshy made was "do nothing" which is not the purpose of the thread (which was to discuss what COULD be done apart from nothing).

Ignore me agreeing with the welder idea being a good one.

Wastes my time replying to a dead thread that no one bothers reading anyway.

-Sharp-shooter 2014
    @coolitic‌ that sucks v.v
    ReapMyster wrote: »
    Sharp-Shooter comes in and provides nothing to the discussion except expressing love for kaneh and joshy.

Ignores the point that kaneh and joshy made was "do nothing" which is not the purpose of the thread (which was to discuss what COULD be done apart from nothing).

Ignore me agreeing with the welder idea being a good one.

Wastes my time replying to a dead thread that no one bothers reading anyway.

-Sharp-shooter 2014

What, who said that?
    :P