Point of second com?

orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
As it stands now , there is no point in geting second com. Marines cant pick IP to spawn from , dual exos are lol, all res is beter to use on UPS, or even 2 OBS in case one got taken out lol. Any1 thinks something is not ok there?

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    When I first saw the tread title I imagined a 2nd commander and thought that was fantastic :P I'd love someone to med marines while I build arcs!

As for a 2nd commander station:

-It can be used to avoid having all your eggs in one basket, why risk a gorge rush when you could otherwise basetrade?
    -It can be used to have a different location to beacon all your troops too, maybe rush the next door room?

-It can be used as a way to spread out your troops without phasegates. A person spawning might kill the skulk attacking a res point in the room next to his spawn, but normally wouldnt go into 2 phasegates and then a room to kill a skulk.

-It can be used to get a protolab closer to a hive location. Duel exos might be lol IYR (IMO they are meh), but what about single exos? Jetpacks without a phase?

Hope that gives you some idea of potential uses for a 2nd com. :)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Nano Shield is pretty sweet, but I don't see it used a lot lately. Other than that, a 2nd CC + obs is good for securing a room if the aliens are very aggressive and tend to eat PGs for lunch. But in the end it is a matter of available resources. If you have 5+ RTs and you lose a game, because you never build a 2nd CC....well....gg.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    dragonmith wrote: »
    When I first saw the tread title I imagined a 2nd commander and thought that was fantastic :P I'd love someone to med marines while I build arcs!
    Early versions of NS2 allowed multiple commanders. The more you know!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Too bad we can't have multiple commanders, as one of my team mates expect the com to have a medpack hovering above his head at all times. Having one dedicated to him would be terrific.

• orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    Second comander, now that will be something for alien to rage about- all time med spam, and first comander to rage about, no res for upgrades :)
    But on topic, do u lads think that marines need to be able to pick spawn IP, and exos to have welder ?
    I mean ninja hive is efective, second com just when u have res to waste?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    It used to be that you needed 2nd seat to get proto lab. I have no idea why they changed that.

Right now it's just for dual exos and eating bacon.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    blocking tech points late game to stop ninja hive drops/base rushes.
    That's the only reason ever to drop a second cc unless you're trolling with dual exos for the lols
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    ...Any1 thinks something is not ok there?
    Perfectly fine. One commander, one command station. Only problem is that it acts as a noob trap. Present someone with a hole, and they will intuitively feel compelled to fill it.

Let me ask you though, what do you want a second command chair to do exactly anyway?
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    I just use a 2nd CC as a security blanket incase they rush my main one. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't be one of those pub commanders that drops a CC and an IP at whatever tech point just so there is a 2nd IP. It drives me crazy and is pointless.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    coolitic wrote: »
    It used to be that you needed 2nd seat to get proto lab. I have no idea why they changed that.

Some maps (well, Veil mostly) only have 4 tech points. So you wouldn't be able to see lategame marine tech on those maps vs. lategame alien tech.

Another reasoning was that it would be more fun for field players if they had access to (almost) all the tech on 1 CC. Games would often end before the lategame stuff really had a chance to hit the field. And part of the asymmetry of the game was supposed to be that tech points mattered to aliens for tech progression but not so much to marines, who should be more reliant on holding RT territory in general.
    elodea wrote: »

Let me ask you though, what do you want a second command chair to do exactly anyway?
    Well alien can have tunels, marines have PG.
    Alien can pick spawns, marine can not.
    Now before gorge tunels that was ok,but now im not sure.
    Alien have 1 com, and 3 hive, and all are usefull. And u say marines have 1 com, and they dont need more CS, care to say why?

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014

Alien have 1 com, and 3 hive, and all are usefull. And u say marines have 1 com, and they dont need more CS, care to say why?
    For the same reason you don't build 2+ ip for 1 marine.

Also, you didn't answer my question. You say you want 2nd cc to be useful and that it isn't useful currently. What are you expecting it to do to make it useful?
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    I just use a 2nd CC as a security blanket incase they rush my main one. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't be one of those pub commanders that drops a CC and an IP at whatever tech point just so there is a 2nd IP. It drives me crazy and is pointless.

It is far from pointles, if u get to crosroads as alien u can make gorge tunel before marines.
    But if u get to crosroads as marine before aliens u cant hold it before PG. I mean after balte for crosroads is over in beging of game, marines cant spawn there if not all IP im main are busy

For the same reason you don't build 2+ ip for 1 marine.

Also, you didn't answer my question. You say you want 2nd cc to be useful and that it isn't useful currently. What are you expecting it to do to make it useful?

I want , to marines can pick spawn ip.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Instead of choosing your ip, com could designate a priority IP... Of coarse once an ip is spun up it's to late to change.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »

It is far from pointles, if u get to crosroads as alien u can make gorge tunel before marines.
    But if u get to crosroads as marine before aliens u cant hold it before PG. I mean after balte for crosroads is over in beging of game, marines cant spawn there if not all IP im main are busy

Its a waste of team res, it takes like 10 seconds to run from whatever starting tech point to crossroads. If the marines get wiped out in crossroads a IP there isn't going to save it. Just have 2 in your starting base, group up, and move out. Its not hard.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Stop listening to these guys, when you're down to one chair and my team is rushing your base, nevar evar drop teh 2nd chair! Hop out n try to git us plz. We wants to win.

All seriousness, there are times and places for chair drops. Emergency base rushes, blocking sneaky hive drops late game, and necessary for beaconing to whatever base if beacon needed (permitting nearby obs).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Oh this topic... I've been harping about this for forever now..
    ...Any1 thinks something is not ok there?
    Be tied to upgrades just like Hives are.

Map control / securing TPs should be more than just denying the other team.. it should be directly tied to upgrades like it is for aliens and like it used to be for marines, before it was changed to "allow for more comebacks" that never really actually occur due to alien end game tech that had to be designed to deal with the natural byproduct of this decision: Turtling.
    Which makes the change entirely pointless.

Imagine if aliens kept all 3 hive tech and biomass because their singular original base remained.
    It's linear and its poor game design imo. Being linear means It creates an artificial timer that must be beat before X irreversible condition occurs.
    For instance, taking subsector back from marines does not mean they are back to A2, W2 and without exos /jp , because that arms lab sits safely in the well guarded base.
    These days it is just defended in the novelty laden name of asymmetry.

And don't say that asymmetry is what makes this game, as that would be a short sighted comment.
    The mechanics and direct input/gameplay should be asymmetric ... but access to winning conditions should be symmetric to ensure a fair and balanced design.
    If you disagree with this, then you do not grasp why RT travel times are important or why they are balanced so finely per team, and obviously do not play pubs enough to loathe the byproduct of turtling games and the bandaid that is concede.

I do not harp on this game being designed for competitive more than pub. I vehemently defend this point, typically. The one change I cannot defend, however, is this.
    Its clear that this change around build 250 was suggested by people who do not play pub regularly and do not feel games like these were enjoyable. The suggestion came from someone who never experienced a pub turtle, either, (or just did not care) nor understand the gameplay design importance of equal access to winning conditions.

TLDR; Map control should lead to loss of tech, just as much as it leads to accruing tech, for many important reasons that are mostly derived from "fun" pub gameplay.

@Elodea now let me ask you, why should aliens be the only ones who lose tech when they lose tech points?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It reduces the chances of you instantly losing the game on a surprise bile rush. But it definitely isn't a priority in the same way a second hive is (I would argue that this isn't necessarily a problem, the game is asymmetrical after all)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    ^ Heh, It's like i knew it was coming..
    IronHorse wrote: »
    These days it is just defended in the novelty laden name of asymmetry.

edited March 2014
    Oh this topic... I've been harping about this for forever now..
    @Elodea now let me ask you, why should aliens be the only ones who lose tech when they lose tech points?
    Assymetry

Not to snob you off, but kinda tired of the old debate of mirroring marine to alien regarding techpoints. Pretty sure we've discussed these very same points before some time in the past. I'm against it for gameflow reasons.

I agree with OP it would be nice to be able to choose which ip you spawn from through.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    When it was changed in b250, I had pretty much the same opinion as Ironhorse... but I grew accustomed to it. Adapt or die.
    And while it's true that it theoretically promotes marine turtling, let's face it: Most marine turtles aren't so successful because of that protolab... You'd have to tie ups to CCs, which they never were in the first place, if you wanted to prevent turtling. Afaik that was tested and didn't work out well.
    edited March 2014
    Yes @F0rdPrefect‌ upgrades were tired to CCs multiple times in development and it worked fine each time.
    No one publicly ever requested it to change, either. The suggestion came at some point during BT mod testing when sewlek was taking lots of feedback, and it must have come internally from balance team since it never was mentioned publicly (i would have pounced on it)..

@elodea‌
    If you're tired of the subject why persist asking users about it??

Also.. That answer is wholly inadequate and you know it. I even outlined why in my post. You can also use that answer for anything - it's that much of a cop out.
    Why are exos useless compared to onos?
    Asymmetry!
    Why are harvesters 8 tres instead of 10 like extractors?
    Asymmetry!
    Why doesn't lerk carapace scale as well as the other classes and with marine ups?
    Asymmetry!

It's too often the novelty excuse given when someone doesn't understand the mechanics behind it or have a good reason to give.
    Most importantly it does not justify imbalance or poor design, ever.

And gameflow? Please... removing epic back and forth games in pub, creating an artificial timer, and enabling turtling is good gameflow??
    You do realize that the chance of comebacks are entirely unaffected by this mechanic, yes? The chances are the exact same regardless, so really the only outcome are the byproducts/ downsides given, all in the name of.... Asymmetry!...
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really liked in the old days when aliens had the option to deny marines tech if denying res didnt work out.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I really liked in the old days when aliens had the option to deny marines tech if denying res didnt work out.

I liked that too, but it also meant that if you didn't have a second chair by the time you saw an onos, the team would concede.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yes @F0rdPrefect‌ upgrades were tired to CCs multiple times in development and it worked fine each time.
    No one publicly ever requested it to change, either. The suggestion came at some point during BT mod testing when sewlek was taking lots of feedback, and it must have come internally from balance team since it never was mentioned publicly (i would have pounced on it)..

Really? That must have been before my time, then. Do we both talk about a/w ups here?

Because I recall Sewlek mentioning in the balance thread (for BT) that they tried it and didn't work.
    Saltlick wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »

I liked that too, but it also meant that if you didn't have a second chair by the time you saw an onos, the team would concede.
    On a map like summit, it takes an average of 20 seconds from one tech point to another, plus or minus 3 seconds.

So if a 20 second travel time and the cost of an armory cannot be accomplished before an Onos comes onto the field, your team has larger issues at hand.
    Especially considering most PG placements are at least near a TP..
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Instead of choosing your ip, com could designate a priority IP... Of coarse once an ip is spun up it's to late to change.

I am not sure as I've never tested it, but starting recycle and canceling it should make current marine start spawning at other place.
    edited March 2014
    @elodea‌
    If you're tired of the subject why persist asking users about it??
    ...you're really a handful arn't you.

I'm tired of debating this with you, and for that matter anyone else who partook in forum discussions on this very same topic in the past. What has needed to be said has already been said by both sides. Your point of view doesn't seem to have changed since, and i'm not too inclined to try and convince you otherwise (a futile attempt).

As for the OP, I wanted to encourage him to think through his thoughts more and actually put something out that was concrete. OP did not mention anything about tech points tied to tech. I wanted him to think beyond his initial thoughts of "why isn't this symmetrical, this needs to be symmetrical", which he then proceeded to do btw.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I thought hives are tied into upgrades because they are an investment. Take ages to grow, spawn eggs free cost 40 res... While a CC costs 15 and takes about 20 secs to build solo.

If CC's became more important, will we have to spend longer sitting around building them? I'd rather not. Would they cost more?