NS2 Map Asset Release: Derelict - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNS2 Map Asset Release: Derelict - Natural Selection 2

During any game development project, many concepts and ideas will be explored, not all of which will see the light of day. Games must necessarily be limited in scope, or they will never be finished, let alone profitable! Often, these concepts will be consigned to the dustbin of studio history. A forgotten folder on someone’s hard-drive,  tossed away like a forgotten Bitcoin. This isn’t something we want to happen to all the work we put into the Derelict map concept. If Biodome is a map that expresses life as a force contained by humanity, Derelict is its opposite: a map in which life has broken free of the constraints imposed on it by humans, and now runs rampant an abandoned facility. …

Read the full story here

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Love seeing NS2 art I haven't looked at before. Soooo good.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Love getting the low down on this stuff. Thank you very much good sir.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You guys really do have some of the prettiest concept art out there. Can't wait to see what dedicated community mappers will do with this!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    incredibly awesome map idea. More of an NS1 style than Ns2 (derelicts generally are).

Awesome,.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what dedicated community mappers will do with this!

You and me both!
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice dark atmosphere, i like it.
    Thx for sharing.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Make it happen please. I'll donate if needed.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    That concept art is beautiful, I hope the art can be realized as a map in one form or another.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Make it happen please. I'll donate if needed.

You can! :Dhttp://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/

With hindsight, for Derelict to have happened, the Reinforced goal would have at least need to have been met. That's not to say Reinforcement Program was not a fantastic success: It was, it exceeds our expectations, and it funded multiple builds, Eclipse, justified the NS2WC and more.

It's better to reach for the moon and hit low Earth orbit that reach for the clouds and fall back to Earth.

Oh wait. That's my inner Kerbal coming out.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2014
    I wish i could play finalized Derelict right now!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    u can throw 40.000 dollar or whatever it was on a trip to germany but u cant pay cuple mappers to do this epic map? UWE basicly says go play mineshaft for 594051:Th time and enjoy the betabuild 263 of ns2
    Man, you sure do post a lot of really negative stuff
    Dictator93 what you feel playing mineshaft on 263 build is negative? :P bet you would love to play Derelict, or even Discovery? but as you know, shadow skins and shoulder badges was of higher importance than making fresh map content i guess
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The problem is that there are going to be many different derelicts and that would cause problems. Needs to have unity.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Dictator93 what you feel playing mineshaft on 263 build is negative? :P bet you would love to play Derelict, or even Discovery? but as you know, shadow skins and shoulder badges was of higher importance than making fresh map content i guess

I'm going to go out on a limb here... I don't think maps are quite as easy and cheap to make as re-skins and badges are...

I would of course love to play a map like Derelict or Discovery. I do not mind playing the previous official maps though, still just as fun as ever.

I am not sure if you can equate the time,resources, and personell allocation from the shadow content to the creation of maps. They are done by completely different people and have extremely different time and financial requirements.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like mineshaft and b263... (runs off in tears)
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    i don't think maps are quite as easy and cheap to make as re-skins and badges are...

Exactly what im saying:
    1.badge/skin - earns tons of money for uwe
    2.map/models - cost money for uwe

Hmmmm, i still wondering what they will choose, lol...that explains their prioretys for me atleast.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    This means two things: 1) This map will never be played by many players, even when finished by some modder. The only community map that made a breakthrough is jambi and even jambi is played rarely on public servers. Any map, even if nicely progressed (e.g. kodiak), that isnt in the offical map cycle is doomed. 2) UWE will more and more stop producing stuff for NS2. I doubt this game will survive another year. UWE might loose its playerbase... Subnautica will mostlikely not be ready in a year and its an entirely different genre.
    it funded multiple builds, Eclipse, justified the NS2WC
    Reinforcement does NOT justify any NS2WC. Reinforced does nowhere state any connection to tournaments. Fuck this is starting to piss me off again! Makes me wan't to get my money back.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Flayra wrote: »
    and a little sadness.
    More than a lil sadness here!
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    This map will never be played by many players, even when finished by some modder.
    +1 Very sad to think that even if some poor modder/mapper or group of them puts a lot of work into polishing and finishing a map like this up, it will still end up un-played because of the poor interaction between community work and UWE officialness. I've played Jambi maybe... 6 - 8 times in pubs, kodiak... maybe 3 times. Triad once. All this hard work that UWE encourages, but cant do much to support once is released.I would love to see some customs absorbed into official rotation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But as it is, I see this still ending up lost/forgotten w/ out some sort of official implementation if it were to be completed.

Then again, UWE official servers have been running nsl_summit for the past few months and nobody's fixed that yet...

Also, from @remedy's screenshots of eclipse pre-UWE involvement, I think eclipse would have stood fine as another beautiful community map, making me wish even more that another map was chosen to be officially released (derelict, discovery), that would have brought an entirely new environment as opposed to a re-hashing of a dated map. Don't get me wrong, eclipse is a beautiful map now, but I still have a hard time ever WANTING to play it. I've actually probably not played it at all in about 2 months. So if an official map is getting ignored this hard, imagine how a pleb-like community map will be taken. Again, don't take that wrong, I love our community maps as well, but they're totally a waste of time if nobody can ever play a real game on them.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm hoping it will be finished by someone in the community! If so, maybe we can work with that person or group to release it officially?

I think the people saying it wont be played, even if it is finished and polished missed this bit.

If its good enough, it will become official and be played.

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    2cough wrote: »
    +1 Very sad to think that even if some poor modder/mapper or group of them puts a lot of work into polishing and finishing a map like this up, it will still end up un-played because of the poor interaction between community work and UWE officialness. I've played Jambi maybe... 6 - 8 times in pubs, kodiak... maybe 3 times. Triad once. All this hard work that UWE encourages, but cant do much to support once is released.I would love to see some customs absorbed into official rotation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But as it is, I see this still ending up lost/forgotten w/ out some sort of official implementation if it were to be completed.
    There has actually been a lot more interaction with the community going on that the general public is not aware of, and you can expect to hear some announcements coming up soon.

It is a big leap to go from something community made, to something that UWE releases officially. By slapping the "official" label on it and releasing it with the game, that means we assume a certain level of responsibility for it. That means insuring that the visual quality is in line with the rest of the official maps/models/etc., and that the new content is not causing bugs and large issues. This means it takes up a fair amount of UWE time both before, and possibly after release, as well as PT time to adequately test.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited March 2014
    This is quite cool to see but you know what, it would of been a lot better if instead of wasting money on another event for competitive players to have some fun, uwe instead did what torn banner (chivalry) are doing and have a contest where anyone in the community can create a map/mod and win something for once, that way we'd all benefit from new content!

Uwe could learn a few things from these guys...

http://www.tornbanner.com/contest/
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    There has actually been a lot more interaction with the community going on that the general public is not aware of, and you can expect to hear some announcements coming up soon.

It is a big leap to go from something community made, to something that UWE releases officially. By slapping the "official" label on it and releasing it with the game, that means we assume a certain level of responsibility for it. That means insuring that the visual quality is in line with the rest of the official maps/models/etc., and that the new content is not causing bugs and large issues. This means it takes up a fair amount of UWE time both before, and possibly after release, as well as PT time to adequately test.
    I totally understand and appreciate the restraints that you guys have when it comes to making a product official. I love and appreciate all the work that has come out, don't think I've ever spent more time in a single game ever in my entire life (except maybe baseball irl). But that's the same reason it's bittersweet to know that stuff was just on the tip of production and couldn't come to fruition. Again, I understand why these cuts had to be made, I guess all I can hope for is maybe something like:
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Maybe UWE should:
    -select some promising community mappingprojects
    -announce the selection
    -let the community sponsor professional backup
    -release a map-pack.
    so that some of the hard work of the community can be appreciated in a more broad scale.

I know as ns2 production slowly tapers off, you don't have the means to produce full on new content anymore, but maybe if more things like this were adapted, minimal work could be put in on the UWE end to still keep some new content coming so that it's more available to all players. And as Charlie mentioned
    If so, maybe we can work with that person or group to release it officially?
    Maybe this could be extended to some other community-chosen/created maps. Just bums me out to see all these threads of community mapper's hard work that is rarely seen by a large majority of pubbers.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Kodiak official, calling it now!
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Kodiak official, calling it now!

No, pls. Its so laggy.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    thank you for this competetive system update