[Linux] Natural Selection crash on Optimize and loading new map.

13»

Comments

• FaidenFaiden Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-29 Member: 189626Members
    It works! after downloading the beta i can now play on the latest ARCH kernel
    Linux X 3.12.9-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 31 10:22:54 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I only tried the "sandbox" as I'm soon to leave for work but thanks alot developers for making me and allot of other players able to play the game again ^^
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited February 2014
    @IronHorse hey, do you know if the Mesa patch is in the current beta?

@Faiden which driver are you using? fglrx?
    edited February 2014
    I'm using the extra/nvidia 331.38-2 drivers
    edited February 2014
    oh, ok.

Anyway, to answer my own question: It works (technically). It's not playable, but it works. So...awesome job guys!

Stats:
    Radeon HD5870 with ~19 FPS in main menu (that was with everything set to minimal and a resolution of 1400*900 or something like that)

Software versions: X.Org: 1.14.5, GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS GLX Version: 3.0 and Mesa 9.2.1 (Stock configuration of Ubuntu 13.10 64bit)
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Well, Its pretty playable for me. The only bad thing is that there is only 2 beta servers up and they are both empty >< lets hope for a quick test run before release
  • zexx86zexx86 Join Date: 2014-01-10 Member: 192931Members
    Great, for me it pass loading screen now. But right after precaching is finished, I can see only black screen with ingame cursor. Cursor is moving, but nothing more. I can ALT+TAB and quit the game.

Thanks
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Can you post your log? it is in ~/.config/Natural Selection 2/log.txt

sysinfo may also be helpful.
    Yes, I can.
    Sysinfo here: http://pastebin.com/k4tLJTRB

Thanks for your work
    So looking at the long you have a bunch of errors like this:
    [Server] Script Error #1: lua/PostLoadMod.lua:25: Base class 'ResourceTower' for 'Extractor' doesn't exist

That is is either a permissions issue, or an issue with the file being corrupt. check the file at ns2/lua/ReourceTower.lua

Verify your install with steam and make sure your user has access to the folders.
    edited February 2014
    I have installed NS2 in same way as all other games, so permissions should be correct.
    You can check it here too: http://pastebin.com/XrPBuwTQ

File ResourceTower.lua is here too and seems OK to me.
    I have also verified game integrity, all is fine.
    I just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 Alpha (it's in feature freeze now). NS2 is running with 60FPS on open-source radeon drivers! Settings are on medium.
    I have deleted and downloaded again content of NS2 from Steam to be sure all my files are OK. Unfortunately it does not help. My problem with black screen is still here.
    I am afraid, but I can't still play the game. Can I help with resolving this issue?
    Sorry about that,

Does this only happen in the tutorial or does it happen running a standard level as well?

The tutorial stuff is in the install/tutorial directory so check the permissions on that as well.

edited March 2014
    It happen all the time I want to play .. In each level. I can't play tutorial nor start server nor join game..
    It ends always after precaching.
    I have checked permission and owner of every single file. All is correct.
    I think there is no possibility of wrong permission since all files were created by Steam process which is running under my user account.
    Whats more, NS2 is able to detect corrupted files. Even when I changed one line in lua script, it detected it is corrupted.

We need more details in LOG, why it exactly wont load mentioned script.
    Is there possibility game is using Lua library from my OS and it is not compatibile with your scripts?
    My OS has installed Lua 5.2.3, but it is 64bit version only, so I guess it is not possible too.
    It should use the steam run time libraries/the ns2 libraries so your system libraries for lua should not matter.

You do need some underlying 32 bit libraries but I believe that if they aren't installed you should not get to the menu.

I assume that you have other steam games that run.

You should be able to run ns2 with a -verbose option and the log should have more detail.

Can you try that and post the log?

Might also want to try looking through here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

I can only find similar things with odd permissions sets though.

edited March 2014
    Thanks. I've attached log file, but I am not sure if -verbose helped. I added it as launch parameter via Steam.

Well, I downloaded it as anybody else did, with nothing special in my PC, directories, filesystem.
    Then I deleted NS2 content and redownloaded it again, without success.

I own around 50 native linux games, all are working pretty good. Same configuration for them.

Do you think it could be out of memory problem? My PC has 4GB Ram without swap. But I am able to run games like L4D2, Portal 2, Painkiller H&D, ETS2, Metro: Last Light, ... without any issue. Performace is perfect on the highest settings.
    But I can't see any OOM message and it seems there are errors in Lua quite early.
    Menu is working correctly.

My Steam runtime is steam-runtime-release_2014-02-05
  • ctoon6ctoon6 Join Date: 2007-06-15 Member: 61256Members
    Using Arch x64 on 3.12.9 kernel. Can any staff actually acknowledge this problem, or will it sit unfixed. This thread is over 3 months old, I would kind of expect a response.
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I can't still play the game. Do you have same problem as I have even with Beta version?
    Just tell me what I should try, paste, or something... I think this bug can be fixed in few minutes with active support.
    zexx86 wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't still play the game. Do you have same problem as I have even with Beta version?
    Just tell me what I should try, paste, or something... I think this bug can be fixed in few minutes with active support.

I did try the beta, and it did not work. Also, I forgot to mention, when I start the game, for a few seconds the screen is super artifacted. Then when the menu is up, the mouse has an orange rectangle around it and the screen resolution is not what my desktop resolution is. There is also no way in the game to change the resolution, which is very annoying to say the least. I have none of these issues playing TF2, L4D2, CSS, Killing Floor, Kerbal Space Program and a number of other inde games. This is the only game with a native version of a game for Linux that simply does not work (and none have any of the aforementioned issues).

This is very frustrating to say the least. If they don't want to properly support Linux, then they should not be advertising it as such.

My setup is

8gb ram
    Arch Linux x86_64 3.12.9-2-ARCH
    Awesome WM

Package versions which might be relevant
    $ reset; sudo pacman -Qs xorg
    local/xf86-input-evdev 2.8.2-2 (xorg-drivers xorg)
        X.org evdev input driver
    local/xf86-input-joystick 1.6.2-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)
        X.Org Joystick input driver
    local/xf86-video-ati 1:7.3.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
        X.org ati video driver
    local/xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-4 (xorg-drivers xorg)
        X.org vesa video driver
    local/xorg-bdftopcf 1.0.4-1 (xorg xorg-apps)
        Convert X font from Bitmap Distribution Format to Portable Compiled Format
    local/xorg-font-util 1.3.0-1 (xorg-fonts xorg)
        X.Org font utilities
    local/xorg-font-utils 7.6-3
        Transitional package depending on xorg font utilities
    local/xorg-fonts-alias 1.0.3-1
        X.org font alias files
    local/xorg-fonts-encodings 1.0.4-3 (xorg-fonts xorg)
        X.org font encoding files
    local/xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.1-2
        X.org misc fonts
    local/xorg-iceauth 1.0.6-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        ICE authority file utility
    local/xorg-luit 1.1.1-2 (xorg xorg-apps)
        Filter that can be run between an arbitrary application and a UTF-8 terminal emulator
    local/xorg-mkfontdir 1.0.7-1 (xorg xorg-apps)
        Create an index of X font files in a directory
    local/xorg-mkfontscale 1.1.1-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Create an index of scalable font files for X
    local/xorg-server 1.15.0-5 (xorg)
        Xorg X server
    local/xorg-server-common 1.15.0-5
        Xorg server common files
    local/xorg-server-utils 7.6-3
        Transition package depending on xorg server utilities
    local/xorg-sessreg 1.0.8-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Register X sessions in system utmp/utmpx databases
    local/xorg-setxkbmap 1.3.0-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Set the keyboard using the X Keyboard Extension
    local/xorg-xauth 1.0.8-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        X.Org authorization settings program
    local/xorg-xbacklight 1.2.0-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        RandR-based backlight control application
    local/xorg-xcmsdb 1.0.4-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Device Color Characterization utility for X Color Management System
    local/xorg-xgamma 1.0.5-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Alter a monitor's gamma correction
    local/xorg-xhost 1.0.6-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Server access control program for X
    local/xorg-xinit 1.3.3-3
        X.Org initialisation program 
    local/xorg-xinput 1.6.1-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Small commandline tool to configure devices
    local/xorg-xkbcomp 1.2.4-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        X Keyboard description compiler
    local/xorg-xmessage 1.0.4-1
        Display a message or query in a window
    local/xorg-xmodmap 1.0.8-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Utility for modifying keymaps and button mappings
    local/xorg-xrandr 1.4.1-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Primitive command line interface to RandR extension
    local/xorg-xrdb 1.1.0-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        X server resource database utility
    local/xorg-xrefresh 1.0.5-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Refresh all or part of an X screen
    local/xorg-xset 1.2.3-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        User preference utility for X
    local/xorg-xsetroot 1.1.1-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        Classic X utility to set your root window background to a given pattern or color
    local/xorg-xwd 1.0.6-1 (xorg-apps xorg)
        X Window System image dumping utility
    $ pacman -Qs mesa
    local/ati-dri 10.0.3-1
        Mesa drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon
    local/glu 9.0.0-2
        Mesa OpenGL Utility library
    local/lib32-ati-dri 10.0.3-1
        Mesa drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon (32-bit)
    local/lib32-glu 9.0.0-2
        Mesa OpenGL utility library (32 bits)
    local/lib32-libtxc_dxtn 1.0.1-5
        S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) library for Mesa (32-bit)
    local/lib32-mesa 10.0.3-1
        an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification (32-bit)
    local/lib32-mesa-libgl 10.0.3-1
        Mesa 3-D graphics library (32-bit)
    local/libtxc_dxtn 1.0.1-5
        S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) library for Mesa
    local/mesa 10.0.3-1
        an open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification
    local/mesa-libgl 10.0.3-1
        Mesa 3-D graphics library
    $ pacman -Qs ati-
    local/ati-dri 10.0.3-1
        Mesa drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon
    local/lib32-ati-dri 10.0.3-1
        Mesa drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon (32-bit)

edited March 2014
    I am also on Arch and also screen artefacts are visible during start for cca 0,5 second. Arch is using very new libraries so it could be one problem.
    For fixing this, it could be fine to do static build or either bundle all needed libraries. I dont know which are used from Steam runtime, but if some is used from system, then there could be a problem.
    But still for me, it seems rather as memory leak, syntax error, problem with handling UTF8, file system in some cases, ...
    edited March 2014
    The game still doesn't work properly, but since this latest update it doesn't outright crash. It now will continue to try to load forever when i try to either load the tutorial or click optimize on the window that pops up right after the game starts. I have let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour to make sure it wasn't my computer being slow.

I still get the artifacting on initial load and the orange square around the cursor.
    Sadly, nobody cares about this issue.

I've bought this game, all other games are just working, but this is not the case.
    I want to help with solution, but it does not matter...
  • CommanderAlchemyCommanderAlchemy Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189780Members
    edited August 2014
    Really nothing new as of yet? Just tried the game and well it crashes like always. A bit bigger tutorial but started it and the moment i shot the first shot with the shotgun that i bought in the tutorial the game crashed.

Not to say anything but this is really getting stupid. A game that does not even work for me that I bought almost 1 year ago.
    kern :info : [tor aug 14 22:42:30 2014]
    ns2_linux32[25309]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000f14b73e7 sp 00000000ffc2e0c0 error 4 in libnvidia-glcore.so.343.13[efd60000+1925000]

Hm...
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The CDT team just took over development of NS2, and have been working hard over the past few months getting many open issues fixed. Although they have some Linux users, I believe they are still looking for someone to focus on Linux development.

P.S. Another user said they got NS2 running under 3.12.9-2 on ArchLinux. Its possible this will be required to get NS2 going.
  • CommanderAlchemyCommanderAlchemy Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189780Members
    edited August 2014
    Racer1 wrote: »
    The CDT team just took over development of NS2, and have been working hard over the past few months getting many open issues fixed. Although they have some Linux users, I believe they are still looking for someone to focus on Linux development.

P.S. Another user said they got NS2 running under 3.12.9-2 on ArchLinux. Its possible this will be required to get NS2 going.

Not going to happen sadly. The lts kernel is now 3.14.16 meaning i would have to compile an old kernel and all the other dependencies for it just to play a badly supported Linux game.

I had enough of kernel issues from my AMD days to just have a working fglrx driver with downgrading kernels.