Stacking?

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    So if one team has a combined skill of 1000 vs 800 a player with a rank of 300 wont be able to join the 1000 combined team forced to back-up the 800 ?

As a side note, my "rank" dropped massively last night after spending most in com chairs, not that I care but bit harsh for leading a team to victory. =))
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited January 2014
    Whilst stacking excuse is used a lot, it does happen.

If you allow people to choose their teams and you allow rookies in the server, you often find that the new players always want to be on marines as they find aliens too scary to play due to the skill level required and the experienced players are forced to go aliens because all the rookies have already gone to marines or are currently fighting in the readyroom to get onto marines.

Or the experienced choose to go aliens because they know how to play them and enjoy playing them / bored of playing marines as every other fps game you are playing a soldier, so yes i would say for most games aliens nearly always have better players and thus are more likely to win.

Random teams is the way to go, it doesn't eliminate stacked teams because it's all just luck of the draw but it does stop a lot of bullshit.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Time to continue the endless circle.

Of course it still happens. It happens in every video game, if you play another one enough (where people can choose teams) you will see that every single game out there has people stacking some times. That's just how people are in online video games. Why it's a huge issue in this game when it's universal is beyond me.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Of course it still happens. It happens in every video game, if you play another one enough (where people can choose teams) you will see that every single game out there has people stacking some times. That's just how people are in online video games. Why it's a huge issue in this game when it's universal is beyond me.
    Because being on the losing team in NS2 is almost universally a horrible experience.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Being on the losing team (the one being crushed) in any game is a horrible experience.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Disagree, many games are far less soul-crushing to get whipped at
    edited January 2014

Because a lot of people want to win every game :P
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Losing is just part of life and ultimately the aim of NS2 is to win or lose, life's unfair, deal with it heehee. x
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tbh i fcking hate losing.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    SanCo wrote: »
    @ItsSuperEffective! How is that vid coming along?

I got through my backlog, that video is being pumped out right now. Should be on the channel by Thursday, Feb 6th (Trying to do scheduled regular videos now) :)
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    As I have said before:

Stacking is governed by the rules of the servers you play on and enforced by the admins there.
    Wonder if the new patch will have any effect on stacking?
    I don't see what it could do to help...
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daxx wrote: »
    Video uploaded yet?

Enjoy,

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ISE, stop being mean to the pubbies.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members

It's a bigger issue for NS2 because of how stacking affects the game.
    • Winning NS2 requires more teamwork than most games; this amplifies the effect of stacking
    • Even a skilled individual can't shrug off the effects of a stacked team, so it's not just harder for newbies, it's worse for every other player.
    Khyron wrote: »

It's a bigger issue for NS2 because of how stacking affects the game.
    • Winning NS2 requires more teamwork than most games; this amplifies the effect of stacking
    • Even a skilled individual can't shrug off the effects of a stacked team, so it's not just harder for newbies, it's worse for every other player.
    This is the same case for MOBAs. While exceptions exist where a single person can carry a game, the same thing happens here.
    Ive noticed a very interesting psychological effect when people are convinced the teams are stacks and the team basically give up before the match has started. Playing last night a stack was called but two of us told the team to man up and we eventually won.

Rising to a challenge and team work goes a long way and remembering that the smallest thing can turn an NS2 game on its head. That sneaky phase gate/tunnel, that distraction and bile rush... God I love this game!!
    I love it when a clan / group are all on one side and the pubs automatically think that all the players are amazing and that they have no chance in hell winning, lol
  • GreymaneGreymane Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187268Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    lol, after 3 game like the one you descirbe, half of the pubs team players will leave the game and never come back.
    So lol....

For a lot of new players, the problem isn't to lose a game, the problem is to think that they will never understand something on.

Game give up after 2 min or clan always playing together or every case of game where on team haven't evolve and got to turtle isn't a nice example of what ns2 can be.

How many players left since the humble bundle? First impression shouldn't always be the wrong...

Yesterday I've play on a server, a "not too bad" comm was playing as a marine, no other decent player have tried the comm on the other side. Each game was a quick turrel spam to lock alien path.
    Each game was boring...
    Perhaps avoid lame strat when game aren't balance can be something to add in the main mentality...

PS: Sorry for my poor english skill....
    This is the same case for MOBAs. While exceptions exist where a single person can carry a game, the same thing happens here.
    Hm... I thought the team res, buildings and unlocks were fairly unique to ns2. I mean, compare to combat mode where at least an individual can get to level 13 just by being decent. Sure, it's harder against a stacked team, but at least it's not the total snowball.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited February 2014
    That isn't the case for MOBAs because matchmaking exists.

You can play with your friends and not have to worry about people complaining about stack.

Excluding smurf accts, you are paired at people around your level.

And while one person can carry(in moba), they will NOT be able to solo the entire team with no support.
    In ns2, one experienced player can clear an entire room of beginners, regardless of support or not.

So there is no real way to " actively stack" in a moba.
    edited February 2014
    Khyron wrote: »
    Hm... I thought the team res, buildings and unlocks were fairly unique to ns2. I mean, compare to combat mode where at least an individual can get to level 13 just by being decent. Sure, it's harder against a stacked team, but at least it's not the total snowball.
    Res, buildings/unlocks can be compared to levels and items in MOBAs. Both snowball easily enough. I'm sure there's other FPS games that have similar snowball issues but I'm too lazy to find them right now.

EDIT: What @KungFuJV says is true though, MOBAs get the benefit of matchmaking.
    Res, buildings/unlocks can be compared to levels and items in MOBAs. Both snowball easily enough. I'm sure there's other FPS games that have similar snowball issues but I'm too lazy to find them right now.
    No, really there is an extra dimension in NS2. Your comparison isn't reasonable. Items and levels in MOBAs are like NS2 Combat mode levels. It's primarily up to the individual, with peripheral or secondary effects from the team as a whole. Whereas NS2 has no RFK but it does have a resource system which is shared across the entire team.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    I love it when a clan / group are all on one side and the pubs automatically think that all the players are amazing and that they have no chance in hell winning, lol

Can you blame them? Communication is key to victory, I've seen less skilled players win a clearly stacked game on team-work alone. It's rare, but it does happen.
    Communicating, watching your fellow man and doing whats best for the team whether that means sacrificing your life-form is what makes or breaks NS2. Even the best of players can't take out 3 well organized skulks. Late game a proper organized rush between multiple bases can do a lot of damage and this is quite easy to pull of if you know everyone on your team.

All it takes for me to win most pub games is to play with a single friend, simply because I know his skill level and that I can rely on him when the need arises. I don't have to go plead some random player to "pretty please with a cherry on top" do something!

I like playing with friends but I also know how massively unbalancing it is when I do. We do actually split up if the game is too unbalanced to try and create a better game.
    I've seen a group of 3-5 friends constantly joining the same team only to win every match.
    They simply don't care about making the game enjoyable for anyone but themselves.

I understand the need to play with friends, pubbing can be quite frustrating. Lack of team-work, general not caring players are all too common. But at least try and split up 1 out of 3 matches. Killing your friends really isn't so bad, heck taunting them makes it worth it.
    I'm by no means a saint and yes I do stack every now and then, just don't make it a constant.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

Because a lot of people want to win every game :P

That isn't the only reason, sometimes people just want to play with competent players instead of the clueless ones. I've intentionally stacked once in my life, and it was in a game called Forge, because there were so many 1v1 heroes in the match I wanted to play with the other team-oriented players. Needless to say, we completely dominated, but that is the bad players fault for not working as a team. They deserved to get smashed.

But as you might imagine, instead of learning from it, they hid behind the 'stacking' excuse and were just as useless in the next match.

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    A couple of teammates and I stacked a team yesterday. All 3 of us went lerk and only used spikes. Didn't help the team that much. They won that game on their own.

But it was fun game. Died plenty. Went negative. Spike lerked most of the game. Then xeno'd for last 10-15 minutes of the game because if marine turtle.

What's wrong with that?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    A couple of teammates and I stacked a team yesterday. All 3 of us went lerk and only used spikes. Didn't help the team that much. They won that game on their own.

But it was fun game. Died plenty. Went negative. Spike lerked most of the game. Then xeno'd for last 10-15 minutes of the game because if marine turtle.

What's wrong with that?

Unless you're ground lerking, you're not trolling properly.

- BestGroundLerkEU