dont allow rookies on non rookie servers

clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
I played ns2 for around 1400 hours now and i love it.
There is only one thing really bugging me. I think the rookie status dissapears to soon.
And why are rookies allowed on non rookie servers? There allready is a lack of non rookie servers.
I know UWE wants to be this friendly company and doesn't want to be that rookie unfriendly but this is just a part of ruining ns2.

They have no map awareness. Don't know the names of places in maps. Always tap that powernode that is build in the 90%. Respond bad when PG is under attack. Save all res for exo. Never buy a welder. Keep fighting that one gorge base the whole game without a result. etc.

It's not that i hate rookies, we all have been rookies. It's just that i'm loosing interests in ns2 since it's getting harder to find a good game lately.
I seriously think that if the time become a non rookie would be like 50+ hours and non rookie servers would be actual non rookie servers that ns2 would get in much better shape again.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    White = Normal Server, Green = Rookie friendly.

By default there is no "non rookie server". Some server admins use mods to block off players with less than x hours playtime and call those "non rookie servers".

E.g. this one: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133942/
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All of this could be prevented if instead of posting about it on the forums you would give some advice to them, tell what to do and what not to do.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    All of this could be prevented if instead of posting about it on the forums you would give some advice to them, tell what to do and what not to do.

Simple, don't allow rookies on non rookie servers and require more time before people loose there rookie status.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What you need to find is a good server. I don't know where you are located, but in the US there is lifesfun, TGNS, Gibs, Diamond, King Kahuna Non Rookie.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    White = Normal Server, Green = Rookie friendly.

By default there is no "non rookie server". Some server admins use mods to block of players with less than x hours playtime and call those "non rookie servers".

E.g. this one: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133942/

I'll be honest - I have no clue how your comment tells the OP anything. With 1400 hours in the game I am pretty sure he knows everything you said.

His question is rhetorical - he wants certain things to change. So for example, he is implying the suggestion that rookies not be allowed on non-rookie friendly servers. In addition, he is implying that perhaps, if they are to be allowed, that the requirement be increased (instead of 4 hours of rookie, 40, for example).

There is no shortage of rookie-friendly servers so they would all have a place to play...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    @BestProfileName:

I just wanted to make clear that by uwe there is no "non rookie server" and i myself have issues with using that term as it is not fixed set.

Imho uwe should have introduced a 3 steps skill based server system directly after the beta. Low-, Mid- and High - Skilled.

But then again what makes a player not a rookie? Where's the difference between mid and high skilled player? And so on.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @BestProfileName:

I just wanted to make clear that by uwe there is no "non rookie server" and i myself have issues with using that term as it is not fixed set.

Imho uwe should have introduced a 3 steps skill based server system directly after the beta. Low-, Mid- and High - Skilled.

But then again what makes a player not a rookie? Where's the difference between mid and high skilled player? And so on.

Let the player decide. I can decide I am high skill and go play on the high skill servers. I would get my butt kicked so I would then realized I am mid skill. Whats to stop high skill players from playing on low skill servers? Admins. The low skill servers already have admins anyways.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    What you need to find is a good server. I don't know where you are located, but in the US there is lifesfun, TGNS, Gibs, Diamond, King Kahuna Non Rookie.

Europe, Netherlands. Sometimes there is a good game around but often not. It's not really server dependend, more like luck. A server can be good one night and suck the rest of the week.

@BestProfileName
    thanks for explaining in a nice matter.

@BestProfileName:

What do you mean?
    @BestProfileName:

I don't care about mid and high skilled (i don't say it's a bad idea but it's another topic).
    Apart from time there could be tested on simple things.

-having played every lifeform.
    -had every possible alien opening (crag,shift,shade).
    -played both alien and marine commander several times as a rookie.
    -played every official map for atleast 5 hours (thats 9*5 = 45 hours).
    -echo a structure as an alien com.
    -make a ink cloud to block an arc attack.
    -have a several amounts of parasites.

Does anyone have any idea how many hours it take to loose rookie status?
    4 hours!

That (probably) means a player has no clue at all.

I used to be in the same boat as you. I had a hard time finding good games. Now I know where the fun games are, and I stalk certain groups of players across servers which helps. You really need to just find a good group of people who you know play on certain servers. You don't have to be apart of the group, just play with them. I am sure you have a few names that come to mind that you see regularly that are in good games.