co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Howser wrote: »
    I was thinking would anyone else like to do another community map project? A tug of war map would be a lot of fun to make. Though I would like to try a different approach to the team effort. Maybe assigning people roles rather than areas. Level-designers, env artists (props and textures), coders (if we need to alter how the game mechanics work), level-dressers (apply props and lighting).

I'd love to help out on a community map project!
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i will put it on my server when i have the time

Mr.P`s Combat server
    server# ip: 62.65.106.53:27050

steam grup
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MrPs1
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Amazing work @WhiteDevil ! The map has been updated with it.
    Howser wrote: »
    As for co_portals: I have really enjoyed playing the last few games on it but I think there is a few problems that can be easily addressed:
    The run time from marine start to the Portals is far too long. You need to open up the blocked entrances facing towards the portals.
    Also gravity doesn't work. People seem to avoid it. While I like the design of the room the zero gravity effect is too buggy. keeping the effect is fine the placement of the portals needs to be revised.
    Gorges tunnel-. I like the style but right now its quite hard to fight in for both teams. There's no real cover and its visually very intense.

Let's work on this part now.

Any suggestions on how to fix Gorge Tunnel without completely stripping it? Maybe just remove some models, make some walls a little more bare while adding a little low cover?

@WorthRival If you have some time you're welcome to take a pass at revising gravity & MS. Send me a file and I'll update.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Okay I'll make some changes to marine start. but I might totally redo gravity from scratch. I'll put my thinking cap on.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    are you guys still on the road on this? It can't be dead :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Vert^ wrote: »
    are you guys still on the road on this? It can't be dead :D

I thought the map was finished. Is it not???
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    No map is ever finished, only abandoned...
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    No map is ever finished, only abandoned...

You mean like Core? :P
    So I was just wondering yesterday why no one was playing this map; I'm glad you posted. I just tried the map on KcK Combat server and it loads.

So does no one play this because of the changes needed for marine side? Or is there some Workshop error I'm not aware of? Why is this not played?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    So I was just wondering yesterday why no one was playing this map; I'm glad you posted. I just tried the map on KcK Combat server and it loads.

So does no one play this because of the changes needed for marine side? Or is there some Workshop error I'm not aware of? Why is this not played?

workshop issues + combat abit bugy + noone really knows this map ;)
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    I personally, still thought it was under construction, since the latest posts, before mine, were about some areas that were still to be added :D
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited January 2014
    What about NS2HD, wouldn't Hugh do a coverage about the map? I think that could help, its very original project after all.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    What about NS2HD, wouldn't Hugh do a coverage about the map? I think that could help, its very original project after all.

There's some major (but easily fixed) problems with the map mainly marine start run times, that zero gravity effect and the giant gorge tunnel. I really think these things need fixing before it gets promoted. Right now it just feels like a mappers show case and not an enjoyable combat experience.
    I'd pretty happily make a completely different room instead of Gorge Tunnel, but I'm not sure if Worthy is still working on fixing the marine side issues.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    well its just visually very busy...maybe at a cat walk out of the 'noise'?!
    while i don't like to be too critical of the areas i mentioned we need to make it as fun as possible before it's promoted. People will probably only give it one chance and In its current state I doubt it would be given a second.
    It is a pretty mappers show case though I'll give it that :P
    I think I'll completely scrap Gorge Tunnel and attempt to revive the 'gorge strip club' concept, stealing quite a bit from Club Nebulae. I'm not sure how to make it 'gorge' though.

Also I'm not sure about doing the work if Marine side still needs help. I might be able to fix Gravity by not using the center portal, but fixing MS would be a pain.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sorry I've not been on much guys new job and stuff hadn't had much time for my hobbies.

Here is Marine start with entrances next to the portals to cut down run times as suggested.
    May be a little too open but I feel Marines advantage is large lines of sight and they should have that advantage in their spawn. Leave suggestions for changes.
    Have had no time to touch gravity but will when time permits.
    Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32942522/ns2_co_portalsMS180214.level
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    This looks awesome.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    1 problem I see, both teams have the ability to lay in wait aiming at the portal. Otherwise seems like good map.
    coolitic wrote: »
    1 problem I see, both teams have the ability to lay in wait aiming at the portal. Otherwise seems like good map.

This is why I've kinda neglected to update the map.

But I just saw someone is trying to use it for Last Resistance, but portals weren't working. Do I need to update the entities or something?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Since there are teleport entities in NS2 itself now, perhaps you could use those instead.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Since there are teleport entities in NS2 itself now, perhaps you could use those instead.

I think this map is allready using the vanila entities, looks to me more that the given mod doesn't load them up ;)
    edited July 2014

I think this map is allready using the vanila entities, looks to me more that the given mod doesn't load them up ;)

This is quite correct - I just double checked. Because the entities used the same name I had no transition work to do.

However that means that Last Resistance isn't loading up a default entity? Or has it blocked somehow?

Fake edit: holy shiz 10 years! <:-P
    Anybody mind if I re-publish this map for combat: standalone?
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have my blessing to publish it.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    While a lot of us contributed, isn't this primarily @DarkSeraph 's project? Should wait for what he has to say.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yup, contact him first.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    those glowing crystal rocks looks amazing! gj