coOkie aka "Dwyane Fade"

co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I've been asked a couple of times to post my fade play so others are able to see what I do in first person. Some things to know before watching:

Upgrades:
Fade - 3 spurs for celerity
Marine - Weapons 2, Armor 1, Shotgun

Half dmg turned on, 7 swipes to kill the marine or 4 meatshots to kill the fade. There's a bit of hitching in the 2nd part but you know... NS2 servers so bare with us... lol

PART 1:

PART 2:

Any questions, feel free to post them here

Comments

• co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awry is also uploading the Marine PoV so stay tuned.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I find it interesting you frequently don't blink into him when swiping, doesn't that make you an easier target? (longer time for the shotgunner to setup/prep)
    Blinking into him would stop my momentum. Fade is all about momentum and if you are able to keep that up, you'll become a harder target. If I blinked into him, I would be body blocked making a meat shot easier for the marine.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Do you actively crouch in combat?
    yes/no. Depends on what I'm trying to do. I'll walker fade for 1 swipe if I'm not in range to swipe you
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited January 2014
    What level of comp do you play?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    IIRC, he's div 1.

Props for making the video regardless. As you explained, keeping your momentum is crucial. That is one of the biggest pointers that can help improve fading.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Do you have any issues with timing your swipe?
    When teaching marines to aim, i sometimes tell them to predict the alien movement by shooting ahead of them etc..

Is there anything you do similar for swiping such as swipe while passing, before passing, etc?
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I didn't watch the video, but what is the point of practicing at half damage 1v1 other than improving your swipe accuracy? Most fades die due to overcommiting or picking their engagements poorly. I just don't see how this would be helpful at all when you know it takes twice as much damage to kill you and there is only going to be one source of damage.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Do you have any issues with timing your swipe?
    When teaching marines to aim, i sometimes tell them to predict the alien movement by shooting ahead of them etc..

Is there anything you do similar for swiping such as swipe while passing, before passing, etc?

You shouldn't practice aiming ahead of targets. Alien movement is inherently unpredictable especially when they're trying to dodge. Instead you should focus on tracking the target and maintaining your concentration on that target.
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    I didn't watch the video, but what is the point of practicing at half damage 1v1 other than improving your swipe accuracy? Most fades die due to overcommiting or picking their engagements poorly. I just don't see how this would be helpful at all when you know it takes twice as much damage to kill you and there is only going to be one source of damage.

That's precisely the point of 1v1 with half damage. The majority of players in NS2 die or lose engagements because they miss attacks, be it alien melee or marine ranged. Half damage prolongs the engagement giving you more time to develop muscle memory in each engagement.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited January 2014
    Has no real resemblance on a real game. Most fades die when forced to play defensive and overcommitted. However the first kill bhop/blink around was nice.

Iron horse you need to predict that a Marine is gonna bash there head on space bar. Always try and predict there movement.
    PaLaGi wrote: »

The video states the point of this was to practice fade movement + swipes + marine acc.
    What level of comp do you play?

Currently my team is Div 1. The complexity level of play during this practice is arguably floating around div 1 - premier which is why I labeled Skill level as premier in the description
    nezz wrote: »
    Has no real resemblance on a real game. Most fades die when forced to play defensive and overcommitted. However the first kill bhop/blink around was nice.

Sure has a real game resemblance because I do, do this in game but not against 2 shotguns. Mainly lmgers and 1 shotgunner is who I do it against. "Most fades" don't know their limits and have poor maneuverability so yes they die from overcommitment quite often . I try to pick my engagements cautiously.. and thanks for the compliment :}
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Clearly it's not a video about choice of engagements, macro positioning and avoiding pinches, and it's unfair to criticise it for not being that.
    The aim of this practice is obviously to improve swipe accuracy, micro positioning and engagement manoeuvres.
    I like the idea of half damage training (though perhaps it benefits the fade more than the marine due to fire rates) & found this video interesting. Thanks co0kie. :)
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey Cookie, really liked the video! I enjoyed the 27hp win on part 2 lol
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Meh, i don't think trying to develop muscle memory for engagements is a good way to practice, you want to learn to master any situation, not just engagements in specific situations. Fade vs sg can be good practice but at half damage i would expect the fade to win most of the fights. The main problem with 1v1 practice is your only really training a small part of what you need to master. I always found that training with overwhelming odds yields better results, since it forces you to not only hone your aim and movement, but also your focus and mind.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited January 2014
    Nice movement.

I get this too. I guess it's an NS2 bug. Sound breaking up. Crackling.
    link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Mky_NDD9w&feature=player_detailpage#t=131
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Oh hai co0kie. Didn't realize you were div 1, although I was pretty sure you played comp. Guess that's what I get for not following the comp scene. :S

Great stuff btw. Very nice flicks for blinking immediately after swiping - I'm jelly. Do you use a medium sensitivity or at least smaller than 16 cm/360? I'd like to improve my skulk/lerk/fade movement without having to increase my sensitivity, but it's tough doing large swipes across the mousepad at a blistering speed all the time.

I wouldn't mind seeing a vid of you practicing against a fade of similar skill level. For me, it can be pretty infuriating trying to track a good fade.
    shriike wrote: »
    Do you actively crouch in combat?
    Afaik, crouching as a fade makes you appear standing to marines, so it wouldn't matter unless you were trying to avoid an overhanging obstacle. I forget which patch this was implemented in, but someone please correct me if this was taken out.
    edited January 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Clearly it's not a video about choice of engagements, macro positioning and avoiding pinches, and it's unfair to criticise it for not being that.
    The aim of this practice is obviously to improve swipe accuracy, micro positioning and engagement manoeuvres.
    I like the idea of half damage training (though perhaps it benefits the fade more than the marine due to fire rates) & found this video interesting. Thanks co0kie. :)

You're most welcome =]
    RedDog wrote: »
    Hey Cookie, really liked the video! I enjoyed the 27hp win on part 2 lol

Thanks a lot RedDog for the feedback and the tweet ! That was probably the toughest battle of them all. I thought I was going to die but I tried my best at being unpredictable leading to that win.
    xDragon wrote: »
    Meh, i don't think trying to develop muscle memory for engagements is a good way to practice, you want to learn to master any situation, not just engagements in specific situations. Fade vs sg can be good practice but at half damage i would expect the fade to win most of the fights. The main problem with 1v1 practice is your only really training a small part of what you need to master. I always found that training with overwhelming odds yields better results, since it forces you to not only hone your aim and movement, but also your focus and mind.

We all have our opinions and methods for practice and I'm sure there are better ways of going about it. As for learning situations and mastering them, that is dependent on positioning & execution. The ability to hit a swipe when being sneaky, picking your target when approaching from behind, or disengaging when seeing x marines, etc. is dependent on landing your hits & maneuverability. Training against overwhelming odds is a good thing yes, but it also may produce bad habits. If you can maintain good habits and yield high results on the battlefield, you're a lethal fade.
    Karnaj wrote: »
    Oh hai co0kie. Didn't realize you were div 1, although I was pretty sure you played comp. Guess that's what I get for not following the comp scene. :S

Great stuff btw. Very nice flicks for blinking immediately after swiping - I'm jelly. Do you use a medium sensitivity or at least smaller than 16 cm/360? I'd like to improve my skulk/lerk/fade movement without having to increase my sensitivity, but it's tough doing large swipes across the mousepad at a blistering speed all the time.

I wouldn't mind seeing a vid of you practicing against a fade of similar skill level. For me, it can be pretty infuriating trying to track a good fade.

Hey Om Nom ! Yes Singularity is div. 1. I use 3.8 sensitivity on 800dpi. I'd find a mid ground sensitivity between a very comfortable maneuverability sens and a very comfortable alien swipe tracking sens. After that, adjust the sens again by +.2 or -.2 until you're really comfortable.

When you say "track a good fade", do you mean with an LMG? A good fade usually won't confront an LMG from a distance so killing a fade 1v1 with an LMG might be a one sided battle most of the time. In order to kill a good one, it takes a bit of creativity, predicting, and a shotgun to set up and put some shells up their ***. And if your weapon upgrade isn't good enough, grab a battle buddy :p.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    I'll kill you with a lmg w/ 1/0 son. Woulda said 0/0 but didn't want to get carried away.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Yea, nice movement. But I think the marine missed way too many shots. Also he could have positioned himself better in the engagements. I know that was not the purpose of this demonstration, but if he would have picked the location where to fight better rather than fighting in the middle of Hub he would have had a much bigger chance of landing more meatshots. I think I would rather train this kind of engagement with damage 1. That way a good shot should be able to kill a single fade even with 0/0 upgrades and almost always win with 2/1. In my opinion that also is better training for the fade to know when to retreat. Apart from that I wouldn't engage a weapon 2 sg marine as a single fade in comp games in an open fight without a good ambush, since there can always be more or less lucky shots.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    I'll kill you with a lmg w/ 1/0 son. Woulda said 0/0 but didn't want to get carried away.

Ninja Edit! I saw it when you DID say 0/0 :P
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Give Dragon a lmg in topo and he can probably get it done...

Damn topo drills. *shakes fist*
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    First of all, thanks for posting! I do have some questions, I hope you have the time to answer!

1.) can't wait to see the marines view of all this because from your view it seems like it should be easy to hit you when you just jump / crouch around in his face swiping. I know its not easy because he can't kill you but I'm just confused why this makes you so hard to hit.
    2.) can you explain more how you keep that momentum up so high? Is it simply bhopping or is there more to it? I can never seem to keep that much speed especially when I get near a marine I always seem to collide with his body and come to a stop.

3.) I noticed you prefer celerity over adren, this goes against everything every other good fade has told me, can you explain why celerity is better? I thought celerity only increased your walking speed as a fade which wasn't really helpful?

4.) at the end of video 1, you both have low health so you go up and then somehow pick up an incredible amount of speed and get the last swipe in before he can react. I can't ever remember getting my fade moving that fast, how the heck do you do that??

5.) Can you upload these to VIMEO or some site that allows more than 30 fps? The action is too fast to follow at this framerate. slow mo would be INCREDIBLY helpful during the crucial moments of the battles. Even better would be slow mo with the specific keys you are hitting at the time shown on screen, although that may be asking a lot!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    joederp wrote: »
    3.) I noticed you prefer celerity over adren, this goes against everything every other good fade has told me, can you explain why celerity is better?

This depends on how you define "good fade." There are good pub fades and then there are comp fades. Most comp fades use celerity as energy management isn't really much of a problem. You rarely see two fades split up in competitive matches. Having a teammate who is also a fade helps reduce energy consumption because you can take turns engaging the same target.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited January 2014
    4.) at the end of video 1, you both have low health so you go up and then somehow pick up an incredible amount of speed and get the last swipe in before he can react. I can't ever remember getting my fade moving that fast, how the heck do you do that??
    I believe it's due to blinking downwards, as explained by elodea in this video @ 1:33. I'm not sure if this still applies to the current patch, though.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    No. blinking down doesnt work. you want to blink almost level with yourself when your in the air. do that 1-2 times and ur speed will go up to around 20-21
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    nezz wrote: »
    No. blinking down doesnt work. you want to blink almost level with yourself when your in the air. do that 1-2 times and ur speed will go up to around 20-21

So if I am getting this right - its jump, tap blink, tap blink while keeping a similar altitude and I will get to ludicrous speed?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    How to use stab?
    How to use shadowstep?
    At this level of play.
    edited January 2014
    First of all, thanks for posting! I do have some questions, I hope you have the time to answer!

1.) can't wait to see the marines view of all this because from your view it seems like it should be easy to hit you when you just jump / crouch around in his face swiping. I know its not easy because he can't kill you but I'm just confused why this makes you so hard to hit.
    2.) can you explain more how you keep that momentum up so high? Is it simply bhopping or is there more to it? I can never seem to keep that much speed especially when I get near a marine I always seem to collide with his body and come to a stop.

3.) I noticed you prefer celerity over adren, this goes against everything every other good fade has told me, can you explain why celerity is better? I thought celerity only increased your walking speed as a fade which wasn't really helpful?

5.) Can you upload these to VIMEO or some site that allows more than 30 fps? The action is too fast to follow at this framerate. slow mo would be INCREDIBLY helpful during the crucial moments of the battles. Even better would be slow mo with the specific keys you are hitting at the time shown on screen, although that may be asking a lot!

1. It's being unpredictable that makes me hard to hit... Notice I rarely confront the marine head on because that would be an advantage for him. If I feel like I'm being predicted too much, I get out and reset.

2. I hop and blink combo often... I hop when I don't have energy to blink so I keep moving. Notice how I swipe by him, not into him.

3. Celerity covers great distances at fast speeds with blink. There's no point in getting adren. if you can conserve your energy especially because now that they've changed the cost of energy per swipe. It does also increase the walking speed as a fade which helps for walker fading but you don't want to do this so much or at all.

4. That's celerity blinking for you =p. He thought I was still around the pillar haha. You should try experimenting with it

5. I don't plan to do anymore uploading. I was just making a video because people requested me to do so. It plays at 720p as well as 1080p. Have you tried watching it on 1080p?
    james888 wrote: »
    How to use stab?
    How to use shadowstep?
    At this level of play.

I don't use stab but it combos great with vortex. It's more of an endgame option. I don't use shadowstep either even if it's researched (never really is in comp play)... I don't like the halt in momentum you get after using it.
    Anzestral wrote: »
    Yea, nice movement. But I think the marine missed way too many shots. Also he could have positioned himself better in the engagements. I know that was not the purpose of this demonstration, but if he would have picked the location where to fight better rather than fighting in the middle of Hub he would have had a much bigger chance of landing more meatshots. I think I would rather train this kind of engagement with damage 1. That way a good shot should be able to kill a single fade even with 0/0 upgrades and almost always win with 2/1. In my opinion that also is better training for the fade to know when to retreat. Apart from that I wouldn't engage a weapon 2 sg marine as a single fade in comp games in an open fight without a good ambush, since there can always be more or less lucky shots.

He didn't miss a lot of shots... He landed 3 meatshots most of the time with a lot of chip. I got pretty low and lucky a lot. As for location, it's not even a smart room for a fade to fight so it was even. Hub is deadly for a fade when shotguns come out. There's just too much open area. I'm not sure even a great shot can kill a good fade with 0/0 shotgun.... That doesn't seem logical but yes it sounds like great practice if you don't mind dying all the time. As for knowing when to retreat, you get out when you have no armor in which I consider standard. I wouldn't engage a shotgun in comp play unless I get a sneaky swipe and he doesn't hit me. Either than that, if you get blasted with a shotgun once, you can get pinched in your hive so avoid sgs most of the time.