Framerate problems with GTX 760 GPU

CFZeroCFZero Houston Join Date: 2014-01-04 Member: 191964Members
I just bought the game, and have sank in about two hours and have thoroughly enjoyed it, love the concept and how the game works and feels. However, the constant frame rate drops are ruining everything. I have a Super Clocked EVGA GTX 760 GPU and an i5 4670k (Not OC'd) with 8 Gigs of ram. I get 60 FPS in menus, however whenever I am standing next 6-8 other players, the framerate dips from 60 to somewhere between 30-45 FPS. A couple of times they have dropped to 20 FPS but that is a rare occurrence. How do I tweak the setting so I atleast get 60 FPS? I have everything on low and resolution at 720p and I still cant get a constant 60 FPS, frame rate moves between 45 - 60 FPS, almost never steady. What gives?

I accidentally posted this on New Players Forum. Sorry about that.

Comments

• xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    After you get into then game menu, check in console what Direct3D rendering device is used. Maybe game is using CPU GPU?
  • CFZeroCFZero Houston Join Date: 2014-01-04 Member: 191964Members
    How do I check that? ill post my findings after that.
    I really want this game to get working....BAD
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Console key is `. You can also see this in your options.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    We gonna need sum of dat logz.
    edited January 2014
    vDf3xnb.jpg?1

Here is what I have
    Played a few hours today, frame rates dipped keep dipping when I am next to aliens or my own team. Could really use some help
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hi there. Please read this thread below and do what it says, then we can help you more as you've given us very little to help you with.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post

Thanks
    edited January 2014
    Here is the Tech Support file. As I mentioned in the previous post, the problem is that NS2 can never maintain 60FPS even though my specs easily exceed the recommended requirements. The framerate is not steady at all, it is always fluctuating, doesnt give me a smooth experience and is very annoying to play. My setup is i5 4670k, super clocked GTX 760, with 8 Gigs of ram. Ill upload the demo files as well and link it to a dropbox.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    In your game, type r_stats in console.

If it is saying "Waiting for GPU" it means your GPU is too slow compared to your i5.

Looking at your options file, you've not got a lot of things set to minimal, in fact you have most things on highest settings.

If you're going for pure FPS speed, change your options to the following:

<anisotropic-filtering> OFF
    <atmospherics> OFF
    <shadows> OFF
    <anti-aliasing> OFF
    <particles> LOW
    <reflections> OFF

You should see a marked improvement in your framerate.
    edited January 2014
    it says 0 ms waiting for GPU. I tried disabling all the things you listed, it is not making much of a difference, performance is slightly better in some areas but not as whole. I keep the settings at max because turning them off does not do much to improve the framerate, I still only hit 60 FPS in some not all areas of the map where there is little activity, but when I am next to other players, the frame rate tanks. The 760 just came out in 2013, its a relatively new GPU and the latest nVidia offerings..
    Played half an hour today. Frame rate seems to get worse for some reason. Lingered in the 30's and 20's for the longest. I
  • NeemhNeemh Lithuania Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    CFZero wrote: »
    Played half an hour today. Frame rate seems to get worse for some reason. Lingered in the 30's and 20's for the longest. I

May be your GPU is overheating? Or CPU? Coz if overheting they both turn off lots of their powers to make heat smaller and just to stay stable... Or may be it in your mother board. If you run overclock your system may be problem with motherboard. North or South bridge can overheat too... I dont know. Sure - update drivers. And make qooling system better.)
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    So, if you are getting 0ms waiting on gpu you are going to be cpu limited.

Your CPU is strong enough to run the game at a much better frame rate. So, there is something else going on.

This means that you have a a range of possible options here.

Is something else using a stupid amount of RAM or CPU resources?

I would try running something like process explorer in another window while you run the game, and see if there is something that is ramping up while you are playing ns2

Are you using CPU PhysX?
    There should be a setting about it in the options menu.

You can try to play with the CPU affinities as well. It could help as well.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    be sure physx is on!

* go to task manager
    * go to performance
    * loadup performance monitor
    * go to cpu tab, keep it open.
    * loadup ns2, go play.
    * tab quickly back to performance monitor after experiencing your problem. If all is well you SHOULD see the history line of the frequenty almost nonstop on 100%.
    - if not, heat issue.

"Intel® Turbo Boost Technologie monitor 2.6" will do a similar job but will show you HOW MUCH it underclocks if that is indeed the case. Even a bigger indicator, but needs far faster tabbing as it has no history.
    edited January 2014
    heat is definitely not an issue. As a matter of fact my temps are really low. Idle CPU temp is around 26 celcius and 35 celcius and when running somthing such as skyrim at 1080p and steady 60 fps at medium, with the framerate rarely if ever dropping and temps only go as high as 42 celcius and clock speeds only reach 540Mhz for my GPU. CPU temps are also fairly low running that game and I am getting similar results temps wise running Bioshock infinite on Ultra settings.

I have 8Gb's of 1600 MHZ single channel ram. I will test DC's method and post my findings
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I actually responded to your post in new players before I saw this...

Anyway I've got a very similar system now except I'm using a 770 instead of a 760, same amount of 1600 ram, exact same CPU. I'm getting framerates in excess of 90 fps in game, up to 200 in the ready room and the very lowest I've seen so far (in a hive room completely full of everything) was about 55fps. That's with everything maxed out (except infestation, I prefer simple for gameplay reasons) and 1920x1200 resolution.

I say this just to point out how much you SHOULD be getting out of your system, the 770 is only about 20% faster than the 760.

If you aren't getting any framerates ABOVE 60fps you probably have vsync enabled. That would keep you between 30 and 60 but it wouldn't really explain the drops to 20. If it's not that and it's not drivers and it's not heat then all I can guess is that you have a faulty component that isn't running how it should.
    Confused wrote: »
    So, if you are getting 0ms waiting on gpu you are going to be cpu limited.

Your CPU is strong enough to run the game at a much better frame rate. So, there is something else going on.

This means that you have a a range of possible options here.

Is something else using a stupid amount of RAM or CPU resources?

I would try running something like process explorer in another window while you run the game, and see if there is something that is ramping up while you are playing ns2

Are you using CPU PhysX?
    There should be a setting about it in the options menu.

You can try to play with the CPU affinities as well. It could help as well.

You should be using GPU physX. The only way I can see CPU affinities helping anything is if one of your cores is bad, otherwise anything you do there would likely reduce performance even more.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    edited January 2014
    CFZero wrote: »
    heat is definitely not an issue. As a matter of fact my temps are really low. Idle CPU temp is around 26 celcius and 35 celcius and when running somthing such as skyrim at 1080p and steady 60 fps at medium, with the framerate rarely if ever dropping and temps only go as high as 42 celcius and clock speeds only reach 540Mhz for my GPU. CPU temps are also fairly low running that game and I am getting similar results temps wise running Bioshock infinite on Ultra settings.

I have 8Gb's of 1600 MHZ single channel ram. I will test DC's method and post my findings

Single channel is very slow my friend. at 1600 MHz you have 12,8 GB/s of memory bandwidth available to you, half of what you'd get if you put each stick on each channel. Haswell also benefits greatly from high speed memory, this is from personal experience, I run mine at 2200 MHz and this thing flies, so consider buying a higher end memory kit eventually.

I wouldn't try to max this game on a GTX 760 too, it's improved plenty since the previous catastrophic builds that made me register here (stuff like it leaking 6 GB worth of video memory) but I still get dips to ~70 fps sometimes even on a 1.2 GHz GTX Titan with the memory clocked at 7466MHz. I would tell you to turn shadows and reflections off and use medium quality ambient occlusion.

Oh, and stick to D3D9 mode for now, OGL and D3D11 got better but they're not quite as stable as good ol' DX9 yet, and this game doesn't seem to make use of any advanced DX11 features anyway as it ran on my old GTX 275's in D3D11 just fine.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    single channel on a i7 or i5 is a humongous waste. Dual at least, triple if supported.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Try PhysX enabled, you have a nVidia and seemingly a bottleneck by the cpu.