One thing to help marines win more: Fix the lack of alerts when your base is under attack

MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
Why after all of this time does the game often fail to not inform the marine commander that the power in the base in under attack. I lost another game as marine comm today because I got ZERO, NADA, ZILCH that told me my base was under attack. I always look at the map as often as I possibly can for this very reason. But as usual, when I am in the heart of helping the team take down a hive, I get nothing that tells me our own base is under attack. I can't stare at it constantly. And considering it takes many seconds to take down power for example, you'd think it would tell me at least once in that time. But nope, I got nothing.

In many of my other threads I have said how badly marines get owned. So here is my one idea that I think would help and not change balance in any way. We need a message from the game whenever key buildings are under attack. Even better to give us a different message as well to emphasize the issue.

How about this:
Whenever power, comm chair, obs or phase gate in a room with a command chair is under attack, report this condition. Above all other messages, sound effects, game clicks, whatever. REPORT THIS MESSAGE.

Example message: "Power in Sub Access is under attack".

I consider this a long-standing and VERY annoying bug in NS2. It needs to be fixed, not balanced.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    They don't really seem to care for these type of quality of life improvements. Improving the alert for a powernode being under attack has been mentioned many times before.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What about if any structure (or power) in a room with a command chair is attacked, not only gives an incredibly notciable alert, but also has a button next to the alert to beacon (provided an Obs has been built somewhere)

Either way, I agree that the alert system could use a little work,
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    This has happened to me a few times. I'll be responding to marine requests on a push, all of a sudden I get an alert for base under attack, click over to the base, the power is down and they've wiped a quarter of the base, lol. It's rare, but it does happen.

Maybe the voice clip for base under attack doesn't have proper priority over smaller voice clips like ammo/health requests? Or if they both come in at the same time, only the first one gets played?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Use the commander hotkey an bind the powernodes of your main base, therefor if anything even breaths on it, it will flash red,
    For example CTRL + 9
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me it's not that it's hard to notice that I'm under attack, it's that it hits a point where there's never NOT something or someone on my team being hit. Under Attack becomes normal, and there's no prioritization as to what's being hit or how hard.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's very easy to forget to check your base when you're making big pushes and with lots of rines needing meds and ammo. It's an acquired skill to remind yourself to remain clear-headed when lots is going on and remember that the integrity of your base is top priority!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While it's a 'feature' that currently does separate the best comms from the rest, I do agree that a few QOL improvements need to be made for comms in general, not least the alerts.

As Max says, there are ways for the high level, attentive comm to notice base rushes effectively. However, while a response of 'l2p' may not be wholly inappropriate, I think it's a valid criticism that more could and should be done to improve commanders' experiences.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Power node should have SOME kind of alert (sometimes skulks can even position themselves so they won't show on the minimap while biting it). Apart from that I see no problem.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2014
    It's an acquired skill to remind yourself to remain clear-headed when lots is going on and remember that the integrity of your base is top priority!
    Roobubba wrote: »
    While it's a 'feature' that currently does separate the best comms from the rest,.

No. It's just an annoying habit you have to learn. It's not hard to hammer into your subconsciousness "hey when this spot blinks, it's important" just bothersome. I haven't had a problem with this since ages, but I do remember it being very annoying.

You can derive skill out of noticing things in obs range and making educated guesses about that. But this player versus interface thing is just le silly.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's an acquired skill to remind yourself to remain clear-headed when lots is going on and remember that the integrity of your base is top priority!
    Roobubba wrote: »
    While it's a 'feature' that currently does separate the best comms from the rest,.

No. It's just an annoying habit you have to learn. It's not hard to hammer into your subconsciousness "hey when this spot blinks, it's important" just bothersome. I haven't had a problem with this since ages, but I do remember it being very annoying.

You can derive skill out of noticing things in obs range and making educated guesses about that. But this player versus interface thing is just le silly.

That was Roobubba's point, while there are technically sufficient alerts in place for a god-tier comm to notice, they are currently not intuitive enough and could use work.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is far more than an "L2P" issue for the comm. I believe the map still always blinks when something is under attack. But the comm has to constantly be checking the map for blinking in the base if he wants to be sure the base isn't getting wiped. The marine comm should always be checking his map as much as possible, that is "L2P" in general. But he cannot check the map fast enough when he is in the middle of a siege on a hive. Maybe he can check it every 10 seconds, instead of the usual every 3 lets say. But 7 lost seconds is enough to take out the power. There is no reason why the game should be making marines lose by this. The marine comm could play a flawless game, dropping meds when he needs to, building what he needs to, etc... and this one lose of 7 seconds loses the game. IT'S BROKE PEOPLE. It's broke.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have mentioned this countless times on the forum since the day NS2 was released, not a f*** was given.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's the only means for Aliens to counterpush ever if they loose hard: Hoping that the commander doesn't react fast enough.
    Special alarms that base-powernodes are attacked? Thats basically the same as automatic beacon...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Use the commander hotkey an bind the powernodes of your main base, therefor if anything even breaths on it, it will flash red,
    For example CTRL + 9

This, although I never really look at the hotgroup icons. I've gotten in the habit of looking at my small minimap in the bottom left when they're big marine offenses going on, as that is the prime time for alien base rushes.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one that thinks the powernode's warning siren sounds at too low a health? It's pretty much useless at the moment; I generally take the 'bwop bwop bwop' as a sign that I'm probably too late to save it.

It should start sounding at 80% of powernode max health, and be audible to the commander wherever he is on the map at the time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hm. I was all for power nodes alerting the team with sounds, then I realised how awful that would be when every rookie (every...non rookie still?) bites useless power nodes. Maybe just nodes that have a CC or PG in the room.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Power node should have SOME kind of alert (sometimes skulks can even position themselves so they won't show on the minimap while biting it). Apart from that I see no problem.

yeah the red flashy should show on the minimap or the command map when power nodes are getting bit. maybe just have the whole room red flashy might work. it annoys me that i can monitor all my important structures via command map, but not the damn power supply.

Hm. I was all for power nodes alerting the team with sounds, then I realised how awful that would be when every rookie (every...non rookie still?) bites useless power nodes. Maybe just nodes that have a CC or PG in the room.

it doesn't take much to tap space and see where your alerts coming from. just tap at all announcements, which kinda should be a reaction already ingrained anyway.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2014
    I usually dont find this to be a problem. I often can hear that "your base is under attack" and if your comm doesn't beacon or at least tell you to come then he is a bad comm. It's is a very bad idea to go deep into the alien base without having nearby phase/armory.

Your scenario happens due to a lack of preparation, not having a comm that pays enough attention, or just an unresponsive team.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While a obs in range of the power node would fix this, I am in fact for a better warning.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    It's the only means for Aliens to counterpush ever if they loose hard: Hoping that the commander doesn't react fast enough.
    Special alarms that base-powernodes are attacked? Thats basically the same as automatic beacon...

That is a very lame and stupid way to win a game. Special alerts is not an auto-beacon. Only if the comm chooses to go back to the base and react to it will something get done on it. I am not asking for some kind of auto-scroll back to where the alert is coming from.
    aeroripper wrote: »
    For example CTRL + 9

This, although I never really look at the hotgroup icons. I've gotten in the habit of looking at my small minimap in the bottom left when they're big marine offenses going on, as that is the prime time for alien base rushes.

Doesn't the control keys allow you to quickly go back to a place on the map and that's it? That may help you quickly get back to the base, fine. But if you are never informed that it is under attack, what good does this do?
    How about, attacking a power node highlights the entire room in red on the minimap? (In similar fashion to when cysts are killed)

A minumum health loss threshold could be added (send alarm every time a power node loses x% health), so minor attacks such as parasites on power nodes won't trigger the alert constantly.

Personally I have nothing wrong with how the map indicates something is under attack. To me its probably overkill to highlight the whole room. its just how often does the marine comm have to look at the map to be sure the base isn't under attack? Too much because of this problem.

Did you read my OP? I already said the same thing at the start of this thread.
    While a obs in range of the power node would fix this, I am in fact for a better warning.

I am missing the relevance of how an obs fixes the issue I have raised.

That issue is: Sometimes the game doesn't give a verbal warning when things are under attack. Namely the power node in main base for example. Does the power node in range of an obs affect this???

*Merged 5 posts* - Mouse
    Sorry for agreeing with you then.

Also can you not post 4 posts in a row? What the hell happened to forum etiquette in the last few years.
    Sorry for agreeing with you then.

Also can you not post 4 posts in a row? What the hell happened to forum etiquette in the last few years.

All the more reason for you to not read. Please feel free to use your time elsewhere.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    All the more reason that this useless thread gets closed. Marines certainly have more pressing issues then giving bad / lazy Marine comms a relief.
    For example the issue with the warp pg, that got removed without notice and changed back to meatgrinder (I'm I right about it has not been announced? Maybe its just bugged?). Ah yes with "warp pg" I mean spawning Marines a little off the phasegate in case it is blocked. Though it is annoying for aliens to predict the warping.
    MrChoke wrote: »
    _INTER_ wrote: »

That is a very lame and stupid way to win a game. Special alerts is not an auto-beacon. Only if the comm chooses to go back to the base and react to it will something get done on it. I am not asking for some kind of auto-scroll back to where the alert is coming from.
    aeroripper wrote: »
    For example CTRL + 9

Doesn't the control keys allow you to quickly go back to a place on the map and that's it? That may help you quickly get back to the base, fine. But if you are never informed that it is under attack, what good does this do?
    How about, attacking a power node highlights the entire room in red on the minimap? (In similar fashion to when cysts are killed)

A minumum health loss threshold could be added (send alarm every time a power node loses x% health), so minor attacks such as parasites on power nodes won't trigger the alert constantly.

Personally I have nothing wrong with how the map indicates something is under attack. To me its probably overkill to highlight the whole room. its just how often does the marine comm have to look at the map to be sure the base isn't under attack? Too much because of this problem.

Did you read my OP? I already said the same thing at the start of this thread.

I am missing the relevance of how an obs fixes the issue I have raised.

That issue is: Sometimes the game doesn't give a verbal warning when things are under attack. Namely the power node in main base for example. Does the power node in range of an obs affect this???

*Merged 5 posts* - Mouse

because while audio cues are nice, it seems like a bit too much hand holding to me. all I'd argue for is a visual indication incomparable to every other structure taking damage. as it stands now, you can't tell if your node is taking damage unless you have los and see the skulk or an obs.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There are in fact priorities given to the alerts..
    This has been addressed multiple times in multiple patches.
    Despite this, there has been internal suggestions and even disagreements with the end result..
    But where things are now are intended - unless there is a bug that you are able to reproduce.

I agree there are far better implementations.
    My question is : Just the power node? What about the obs? The IPs? Where do you stop making distinctions? When do you stop making up for the non attentive comm? Personally, 9 times out of 10, I'll go for the obs.. *shrug*

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    It's sad that people are requesting such ridiculous hand-holding in such a simple RTS game. I mean, at that point it might as well beacon for you when the obs, IP, or powernode go down to 40% and then drop RTs for you and tell marines where to go while microing macs and drifters for you while you watch.

I guess that's when you know you're not cut out to play RTSs online - when you get in the com chair in a game where you don't really have to do anything but click a predetermined sequence of buttons and babysit for the occasional medpack/ammo/mist/drifter (mind you, you don't even have to actually micro any group of fighting units, let alone several groups or lines as you would in a semi-competent actual RTS match online) - and you still fail to observe the map.

Don't have vision on a power node in an important (to you) location? It's your mistake, not the game's.

Sadly, with the continued ineptitude that I've seen in commander chairs, I guess you might as well cater to the n00bs if they're the only ones which will end up "commanding" most of the games. As I've mentioned before, this game has failed to attract most RTS-minded players for many reasons, the biggest of which is IMO the lack of choice and impact a commander can have towards winning.
    edited January 2014
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    It's sad that people are requesting such ridiculous hand-holding in such a simple RTS game. I mean, at that point it might as well beacon for you when the obs, IP, or powernode go down to 40% and then drop RTs for you and tell marines where to go while microing macs and drifters for you while you watch.

I guess that's when you know you're not cut out to play RTSs online - when you get in the com chair in a game where you don't really have to do anything but click a predetermined sequence of buttons and babysit for the occasional medpack/ammo/mist/drifter (mind you, you don't even have to actually micro any group of fighting units, let alone several groups or lines as you would in a semi-competent actual RTS match online) - and you still fail to observe the map.

Don't have vision on a power node in an important (to you) location? It's your mistake, not the game's.

Sadly, with the continued ineptitude that I've seen in commander chairs, I guess you might as well cater to the n00bs if they're the only ones which will end up "commanding" most of the games. As I've mentioned before, this game has failed to attract most RTS-minded players for many reasons, the biggest of which is IMO the lack of choice and impact a commander can have towards winning.

personally, I don't want much, just consistency. everything else flashes when damaged, why not powernodes?

also, not having vision isn't always under your control. when res is at a premium, extra15 res might mean getting an upgrade at all.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2014
    It's kind of funny to see people argue for a harder to read interface to arbitrarily make it harder for a comm in order to separate good comms from bad ones. It is about the lamest excuse I've ever heard.