Annoying sell everything commanders

2»

Comments

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    *obligatory "Oh Look It's This Thread Again" statement*

The problem isn't selling everything, it's the little punk in the Com Chair with the Napoleon complex who decides to sell everything without communicating it to the team and without the popular vote (and by vote I mean consensus among the communicative players, not an actual concede vote).

If the comm really feels everything is so lost, and doesn't want to leave the server, they should hop out and play foot soldier. The game will be over fast enough without a comm, especially if the team is full of useless players or the battle is as one sided as they think. Selling everything on a pub team that maybe wants to get some practice in with that shotty they just bought is just plain rude.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I generally ask if anybody objects. if they can't respond, I blame them for the loss anyway. I sometimes wish aliens had a similar mechanic. I can only really stand so much begging of greens to find their x key. when the entire top of your scoreboard and your commander think the game is over, generally it is.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »

The problem isn't selling everything, it's the little punk in the Com Chair with the Napoleon complex who decides to sell everything without communicating it to the team and without the popular vote (and by vote I mean consensus among the communicative players, not an actual concede vote).

If the comm really feels everything is so lost, and doesn't want to leave the server, they should hop out and play foot soldier. The game will be over fast enough without a comm, especially if the team is full of useless players or the battle is as one sided as they think. Selling everything on a pub team that maybe wants to get some practice in with that shotty they just bought is just plain rude.

*obligatory "Oh Look It's This Dumb Opinion Again" statement*

Marines turtling for 20 minutes is a waste of time that kills servers, and it's never over fast enough because pub aliens are terrible at finishing games.

If you want to practice your shotty go and play some combat instead of holding the whole server hostage with your selfish attitude, which is just plain rude.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Locklear wrote: »
    there's a degree of difficulty for the aliens to end it because of the lack of teamwork in public games.
    True, but Armor 3 & Weapons 3 marines with Exos in base and weapons being recycled ad nauseam sure add to to the difficulty of said required "teamwork"..
    But yes, in principle i agree, even if you removed those items from a turtle, it would still be a challenge (albeit exponentially easier) given a whole team's worth of long range fire on a bottlenecked doorway and GL spamming.

Still could make it easier for pubs, thereby increasing the enjoyment by changing this.. tho i suppose comp would suffer from a lack of novelty asymmetric rules? *scratches head*

It used to be "Aliens need better late game tech/finishers" .. and now that we have that, its "Aliens need to know to use late game tech/finishers"..
    (Edit : this is not directed to you, Locklear, just in general)
    I'm sensing some players are a tad disconnected from pub games.. but.. meh.. its only pubs, and its not like they are 90% of the games played or representative of the product.. /sarcasm
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Well atleast we're at the point where it can be done.

Echo eggs on both marine base entrances for constant xeno barrage while spamming contamination and whips into marine base. That oughta break anything.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    there's a degree of difficulty for the aliens to end it because of the lack of teamwork in public games.
    True, but Armor 3 & Weapons 3 marines with Exos in base and weapons being recycled ad nauseam sure add to to the difficulty of said required "teamwork"..
    But yes, in principle i agree, even if you removed those items from a turtle, it would still be a challenge (albeit exponentially easier) given a whole team's worth of long range fire on a bottlenecked doorway and GL spamming.

Still could make it easier for pubs, thereby increasing the enjoyment by changing this.. tho i suppose comp would suffer from a lack of novelty asymmetric rules? *scratches head*

It used to be "Aliens need better late game tech/finishers" .. and now that we have that, its "Aliens need to know to use late game tech/finishers"..
    I'm sensing some players are a tad disconnected from pub games.. but.. meh.. its only pubs, and its not like they are 90% of the games played or representative of the product.. /sarcasm

@IronHorse

I've probably spent over 75% of my time playing NS2 in public games.

The air of your post leads me to think that you're assuming I'm just a competitive player that nevers plays in public games and knows nothing about how they play out. The sarcasm is really unwarranted.. I care quite a bit about public games. I've been playing NS Public since NS1 at the age of 12. I would probably play public even more if it wasn't for the fact that performance is the most inconsistent in them. But that's beside the point.

There's so little basic teamwork and focus firing in public games and that's why games last longer than they should and so many things that should die... don't. If there's no leadership via commander or field player.. people just run around and play selfishly. Bait each other for frags, go in too early just for a frag.. target enemies or structures incorrectly.. the list goes on. That's just in the early to mid game.. in the end game it gets even worse..

I can't recall any times I've seen the combination of Gorges, Drifter Support, Umbra, Whips, Contaminate, Xenocide and Onos/High Lifeforms using teamwork to end a Marine turtle without any amount of trickling in and/or lack of teamwork from the alien side.. There's always some players that go in too early or too late or don't target the right things. It's inevitable and happens so often in public games.

This problem is mostly on Commanders I would say.. but it's still a lack of teamwork and using the tools given.. whatever the reason.

There is an alarming difference between Commanders like ..Fatman\Littlecoat and your average silent "decent" commander. People are directed towards doing the right things and told when to push and when to pull back - they are supported and given the right tools to end the game or push towards that objective.

All of the tools are there as I mentioned above..

If they did those things in unison.. the game would end quite quickly. I've seen rounds where it's used in bits and pieces.. but never to it's full potential (EVERY single player doing the right thing together to end the game) which is why sometimes the alien team struggles to end it.

I'm not saying it's never happened.. it's happened to a degree and maybe it's happened exactly as I've described but it happens so rarely in the public games that I play in (which has been quite a lot since Beta) that I feel it's probably the reason why.

Often times no matter which side I'm on (Aliens or Marines) I'll nudge the alien commander in all chat: "Hey, use whips with contaminate via echo on the shift. Have everyone go in at the same time with drifters and umbra.. that's how you end the game. You have to use teamwork and you all have to go in at the same time and support each other towards a goal: Power Node -> Wipe Marines.. or just straight Wipe Marines -> IP Camping.. or Command Station Focus Fire."

If it wasn't obvious already, the way it works is this:

1) A large amount of Onos 4-5 more than likely.. push into the room with the goal of killing everything.
    2) The Lerks are using Umbra to reduce the damage on the Onos as they go in and continue supporting with Spores and Umbra.
    3) Drifters are using all support abilities to help them do damage, regenerate armor, and create hallucination distractions.
    4) Contaminate is being used to spread infestation and allow Whips to be Echo'd directly into the Marine base targeting a vital structure.
    4) Gorges are healing Onos or focus firing vital structures: Power Nodes/Arms Lab/IPs.
    5) Fades are picking annoying Marine players that disrupt the support -> GL / Flamethrower.. and anyone else that they find are easy 1/2 swipe picks (using Aura).
    6) Skulks come in with the team as this is happening and xenocide in order to kill or at the least reduce the armor of the grouped marines making it that much easier for the Fades and Onos to mop up.
    7) Entire marine force perishes to the strength of a blob of aliens buffed by drifters, umbra and supported by Whips biling and destroying everything.. structures are mopped up and IPs are camped by remaining lifeforms.

(I know it's pretty overstated at this point and it's not related to the teamwork factor but I think we all know what happens when 22-24 players are all in the same room.. FPS gets low, performance in general gets low.. and so marines miss even more bullets and react even more slowly to their surroundings.)

GG Aliens. Sometimes it can happen even easier than that if the marines are in a bad position with no Exoskeletons, JP's and Heavy Weapons..

Eventually it happens to some degree.. but that's really all Aliens need to do. Nothing needs to be adjusted. It's just people not playing as a team or realizing what they need to do to end the game. Which is.. pretty normal for every game out there that people play public matches in. People are selfish by nature.

NS2 is a teamwork based game.. if it's not played out with teamwork you shouldn't expect anything less than kill farming and turtles that never end.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Scatter wrote: »
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »

*obligatory "Oh Look It's This Dumb Opinion Again" statement*

Marines turtling for 20 minutes is a waste of time that kills servers, and it's never over fast enough because pub aliens are terrible at finishing games.

If you want to practice your shotty go and play some combat instead of holding the whole server hostage with your selfish attitude, which is just plain rude.

One person unilaterally deciding the game is over is never a good thing. The Comm selling everything without communicating his intentions prior to the act to the team is akin to flipping over the monopoly board once you didn't get to buy Boardwalk.

Again, as previously stated, and for those lacking reading comprehension, I never said "selling everything should be removed from the game". I said the problem lies in one person ending the game for every other person because THEY think the game is over. I have commed in NS1 and I have sold everything to end a game that was lost. But I did say to the team "guys this is over, I think I'm gonna sell everything" which nine times out of ten was met with "go for it".
    screw huge team pushes, two well timed xenocides will wipe out a marine turtle pretty effectively. or a suicide gorge and a xenocide. wish shifts still spaends eggs.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    The air of your post leads me to think that you're assuming I'm just a competitive player that nevers plays in public games and knows nothing about how they play out.
    Oops! No I didn't mean to specify you at all! Sorry that I didn't clarify that. I know how much you pub, i see you all the time. I just used your quote as a target

I very much meant that in general its a popular opinion from the comp scene to say "l2p" without considering the gradient involved.
    If they did those things in unison.. the game would end quite quickly. I've seen rounds where it's used in bits and pieces.. but never to it's full potential (EVERY single player doing the right thing together to end the game) which is why sometimes the alien team struggles to end it. .
    This is precisely the problem!

You can in fact expect too much from the casual /pub player.. (too high of skill floor) And it can lead to poor enjoyment for a large portion of the player base.
    The hard part in addressing this though would be to avoid watering down the requirement for competitive players.

I do believe it's possible though with some thought. This game has successfully pulled off a low skill floor with a high skill ceiling in *some* areas /mechanics. I consider this a design flaw, and therefore feel that it should not be an effort that's abandoned with such write offs as "l2p"..

Thanks for the great reply, and i apologize for the bitter tone I had.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I just rage sold everything after a 50 minute stalemate where we probably had the upper hand for most of the game. Both teams were too inexperienced to properly team up and finish it. We tried every single push imaginable, but in the end it just came down to players either not listening or not comprehending quickly enough what was going on and/or what they had to do.

I genuinely tried to be nice and supportive to new players, but there's a limit to my patience.

10/10 would sell again.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    " the auto balance feature I'll never understand in reasoning " <- Indeed, even more redundant now that 'skill' is in the game as no one will be playing for losses any more and will never swap teams to a lost side.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Don't think anyone has swapped teams since they removed keeping pres when changing teams.
  • SiG_SiG_ Singapore Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190211Members
    Swapping teams in NS2 makes about as much sense to the player experience as swapping teams in DotA. Or soccer. Not gonna happen.
    I don't find myself so heavily invested in my team. I can swap teams if it means I'll have more fun. (A more balanced game.) But since I don't keep pres when swapping, fun goes -11111111
  • AsylumAsylum USA Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189492Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is one of many reasons I don't play marines unless 1. I'm commanding, 2. One of my friends is commanding, or 3. I'm forced to.

I don't like trying to push out and continue a game and someone recycles everything in the base silently. Especially if it literally JUST GOT PAST THE TEN MINUTE MARK. Make it 30 minutes before a marine commander on only one base can recycle IPs. So they at least have to have a second base up.

There are unwinnable games. That's true. There are games where no matter how much you're fighting, you still can't win. That's true too. Skill is a factor. But there are also games where I've seen AMAZING comebacks. Aliens sitting on one hive and one rt that end up having the entire map and destroying the marines. Marines going from a twenty-minute turtle to arcing all three hives at once while three onos were desperately trying to kill the comm chair. Base rushes with each team seconds from killing the other completely. Amazing things can happen, even after a commander loses hope. Recycling the IPs kills the fun for everyone. Even if you find it hopeless, either you can do something (Leave the server, spectate, switch out coms, switch teams) or you can support your team. If your team still thinks there is a slight chance of winning, why kill that hope for them?

And when commanders DO recycle IPs just because their team isn't conceding, I make it a point not to play with them any further. Vote kick them, target them before any others when playing opposing teams, jump in the chair and keep them out. If one player doesn't concede when the entire team does, then recycle the IPs. If three out of 10 decide to concede, that isn't your decision to make. You have so many more things you can do besides forcing your opinion down your team's throat.
    @Asylum if both parties just use common sense there is no problem with the current system.

Obviously you shouldn't recycle if the majority of the team still wants to continue.

Obviously you should recycle if the majority does not.

Obviously if you don't communicate that you want to keep trying when the comm asks, it's okay for the comm to recycle, and the other way around: if the comm doesn't ask, obviously it's not ok to just ninja-cycle.

Act smart and communicate and we're all o-kay with what we got now, I think.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thread can be summed up by sometimes recycling is the right decision, some people do it to soon selfishly, someone will be upset by the decision to recycle or not to recycle.
    There is no rule that can or should be set, you just have to go with it and hope the right decisions are made. They will be once people have experience, let it go.

Please stop posting.
    You know how little new threads we have here ghostie, practically guarantees every thread hits 2 pages. <:-P
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My F5 key is frequently disappointing.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    blind wrote: »
    So far I have never seen a commander recycle the base prematurely in above 1,400 hours gameplay, but countless times - and many hours wasted to - boring 10-15 minute endgame fights sitting like a duck in marine spawn. Usually the alien commander and team doesn't know how to use 3 hives for ending a game and just 1-2 votes left for concede but the greens don't read/listen or are unable to find the concede button and enjoy themselves spamming grenades in hallways for 10 minutes while the rest suffers and think of playing another game instead. Worst part is that F4 doesn't even help since it cripples your opponent (endless spawning times!) - the auto balance feature I'll never understand in reasoning.

It usually just comes down to the different definitions of players of when a game is "clearly over". Some people just realize that sooner than others (simple lack of experience, you can't blame them for that).

Heck, in all the time I didn't even see a griefer jumping in and recycle the base right away like I have witnessed in NS1 so often...just realizing this. Kinda amazing.

I'm surprised because I have seen it at least 20 times.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    i've seen the odd game where the commander jumps the gun a little and recycles because the team can't take one res node, despite having most of the rest of the map. :s.

Usually though, they recycle with good reason.

I, myself tell everyone i'm going to recycle, and if the team listens, i'll try to organise a last push before i recycle, and even had it succeed once or twice and turning the match around Xd.

theres nothing i hate more though, then being on the alien team with marines standing at both entrances to the hive, waiting for the 10 min mark, or that one guy to vote concede, who never does, and everyone sits there dieing over and over and ovvverrrr.

Brad2810 wrote: »
    i've seen the odd game where the commander jumps the gun a little and recycles because the team can't take one res node, despite having most of the rest of the map. :s.

I, myself tell everyone i'm going to recycle, and if the team listens, i'll try to organise a last push before i recycle, and even had it succeed once or twice and turning the match around Xd.

theres nothing i hate more though, then being on the alien team with marines standing at both entrances to the hive, waiting for the 10 min mark, or that one guy to vote concede, who never does, and everyone sits there dieing over and over and ovvverrrr.
    Brad2810 wrote: »

greenies won't listen to a simple vote concede request
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Some veterans too. NEVER SURRENDER Seems to be the old mans motto.
    And to be quite honest, i LOVE last man standing situations. it's much more a fun grindfest if you know when you die, you dead.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    This kind of behavior is monitored on which server you play on, I know on ours it can lead to a temp ban or a perma one. For marine commanders that think they are going to lose there is a vote concede option.