Return to Eclipse in Natural Selection 2

Comments

• PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I am having issues with my NVIDIA 660m Optimus video card since the update. It keeps switching back and forth between the on-board card and the NVIDIA card. Didn't have any issues prior to this update. Also tried two different driver versions from their site with no success. Any ideas?!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I am having issues with my NVIDIA 660m Optimus video card since the update. It keeps switching back and forth between the on-board card and the NVIDIA card. Didn't have any issues prior to this update. Also tried two different driver versions from their site with no success. Any ideas?!
    Trying forcing it in the NS2 profile in NVCP and making sure the profile is set to "prefer highest performance" under the power saving functionalities.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Hive = fail. I have been playing this game a year now, I have ~350 hours logged on Steam and yet I have just 20 rounds in Hive.
    because it's new? As far as I can tell it only goes back to mid November. I know they implemented Hive a while ago but they've been iterating on it and probably reset it many times.

Does anyone know what the level next to "skill" means at all? Browsing the score and skill lists it seems almost random.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    RapGod wrote: »
    the secret room is trippy. is there some stuff in their relating to subnautica? it just has some similarities with the art.

The secret room is basically an accurate representation of what SN will look like at release - Well found!

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    well it looks trippy. I'll get back to u and tell u how awesome it is next time I eat some caps lol
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    ns2_cratelipse

Needs more random crates, 2 meter corridors, random juts, redundant stairs, and fake doorways.

Good map. Looks like it'll play fantastic for high ping marines.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was this moment when I was crouching in a tiny hallway frantically building up a PG and an obs and it felt just like I was playing NS1 again. It was nice
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great map, plays very well so far. It seems a bit Alien-friendly, but it's too early to say for sure.

Personally, I don't find the visual theme all that exciting. It's certainly very well crafted, and not looking bad by any means... maybe I just expected more after the "OMG SO PRETTAE!1!" hype. Love some of the details, like the energy towers in Triad, the rain in Marine Start, and a few other spots I don't recall the names of right now.

One little bug: The power node in Eclipse seems to get damaged by infestation on the other side of the wall. Probably known as it's pretty obvious ;)
  • SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
    This new (old, I see) map is sure detailed and very hard to learn! But I am sure I will like it a lot once I know it better. I am new to natural selection and this is by far the most complicated map to learn. Those vents as seen on the map are soo confusing, I fall into them as gorge and don't know how to get out XD
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The secret room was all we had before they made the actual ready room in the final phase of the mapmaking.
    Getting all trippy before every playtest. :>
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    The secret room was all we had before they made the actual ready room in the final phase of the mapmaking.
    Getting all trippy before every playtest. :>
    I really have to find it. I assume it is linked to the ready room...
  • jonessenjonessen Join Date: 2013-12-05 Member: 189811Members
    Still no OpenGL 3.1 core profile support -> I'm still unable to play NS2 :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    elodea wrote: »
    ns2_cratelipse

Needs more random crates, 2 meter corridors, random juts, redundant stairs, and fake doorways.

And the first negative feedback award goes to elodea!

I'm sure you could have fit more hyperboles in there, too.. *disappoint face*
    IronHorse wrote: »
    ns2_cratelipse

I read on Kotaku that the production of ns2_eclipse has contributed to the deforestation of the Amazon and that the shadow skulk skins have racist connotations.

Am I doing this correctly?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    ns2_cratelipse

I read on Kotaku that the production of ns2_eclipse has contributed to the deforestation of the Amazon and that the shadow skulk skins have racist connotations.

Am I doing this correctly?

I have black armor... I hate those damn white armor guys.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Erm, interesting bug? I've never seen this one before.

A dead, yet powered on, invincible powernode?

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    ns2_cratelipse

Someone has to state the obvious! It's all very well and good to be blinded by the prettiness (which it is) but you have to admit this rendition of eclipse is almost certainly not going to be much fun from the long term gameplay perspective especially when you get into higher pings. Just alot of places on the map where you literally will not be able to do anything as marine no matter how good your aim is.

I wasn't using hyperboles either. There really is atleast 5 significant crates/props per room or corridor. Almost like there is this phobia of marines having anything more than 5 meters of line of sight, which is entirely different from any other map previously released. Some of the powernode positions are also ridiculous in purposefully forcing you not to have any line of sight while building at all. In making the map a windy cluttered mess, the spirit of eclipse has indeed been lost imo.

The only room that isn't cluttered is marine spawn, and that was to make it feel spacious and immersive. If the rest of the map is UWE's interpretation of gameplay over immersion, I would rather they stick with immersion.

The redundant stairs are pretty obvious. Sure it looks pretty if you make a balcony next to the stairs that you can jump over, but not only do you screw with the flow of combat around those areas by creating those elevations, you also end up with a set of redundant stairs that no one is ever going to use because it's always just quicker to jump over the balcony.

I am the one with the disappoint face, seeing the jambi syndrome of random half corridors into fake doorways actually make it into an official map.

*edit*Because I want to keep this constructive, i will say positively that performance is good mostly all over the map and the biodome syndrome of horrible render performance and input lag is not present. So nice work on that!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Particle beams and teleporters. Oy vey.
    Scatter wrote: »
    Particle beams and teleporters. Oy vey.
    Yea, that is so dumb i choose not to recognize it as existing
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice map. Hard to remember :)
    I've noticed that in the hive Eclipse when the obs is down near the teleporter you can't hear the beacon noise as an alien.
    Happened a few times when marines just appeared on me :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    @elodea
    I wasn't using hyperboles either. There really is atleast 5 significant crates/props per room or corridor. Almost like there is this phobia of marines having anything more than 5 meters of line of sight

Ehhh.. Disagree.
    There are multiple places on this map where the engine's draw distance is exceeded and enemies can't even be seen.
    I believe what you are experiencing is the same as what i believed the first few times i played the gray box version of this map.. you probably have had some encounters down the southern area (generator monitors) and it has painted an experience for you, so you came to a conclusion about it without taking into account the rest of the rooms and hallways.

If you notice, there's about the same amount of wide open space (bias in marines' favor) to bottlenecks (alien favored).
    It lends to better gameplay imo, because of the importance it places on positioning.
    Both sides have a fair chance, where aliens arguably are able to secure the bottom half of the map easier, at least in non high tier play,(i.e. non aggressive marine play) while marines dominate and hold the more open top portions.

I decided to take some pictures to invite you to consider this point, as i only came to this realization myself after some consideration and time:
    aYFRJjE.jpg
    pMqKLnG.jpg
    KmZX8ep.jpg
    NOv5IxN.jpg
    HFNuu7d.jpg
    tJPdpjf.jpg
    Vch38pj.jpg
    AE0MPw7.jpg
    m2usder.jpg
    6jZsnCz.jpg
    to43oWn.jpg
    5NYZZkn.jpg
    zWHhBdg.jpg
    kw5CkEH.jpg

p.s. we nicknamed (or i did? cant recall) core access hallway to the hive "hallway of death" for months.. and it had like 3 crates in it for cover that were removed just a day before release... soo....i can't even imagine how it plays now.

edit: apologies for the many spoiler tags method.. imgur's gallery function won the fight this time.
    edited December 2013
    Oh, we're doing this now are we? :p Here are screenshots from the actual marine point of view instead of conveniently glorified overhead angles.

Nothing wrong with access alpha. But your screenshots are kinda biased nonetheless
    Taken from the same position
    DiSQ1VQ.jpg
    I'll concede this one. 1 sparkle doesn't make a fireworks display though
    Already mentioned marine spawn
    Looking back towards marine spawn from here is not really an issue unless marine spawn were an alien techpoint. The real annoyance is almost too conveniently hidden to the left of T junc.
    GLpAYxo.jpg
    Mu8jXzx.jpg
    Problem is walking through from t junc as above
    Not going to argue this. Maintenance hive needed changes. We'll see how they play out
    Consequence of ditching the ns1 double ramp design. Poorly thought out areas shouldn't be 'improved' to a playable state with crate spam anyway
    Much marine, so eye level, very crate. Wow
    SJ6VGQR.jpg
    achjJhk.jpg
    There is so much wrong with the teleporter I don't know where to start. The 2 troll smoke puffs are just like the icing on the cake.
    qIp08kV.jpg
    Looks really nice without whip spam and an rt. Screenshot also skips the crates outside that keep making you commit into just bad positioning.
    a0VlOYa.jpg
    OEjbBLL.jpg
    If only marines could fly
    pbhu35M.jpg
    Hrm strange, wasn't there a hallway to the right? Where did it go? :p
    cVZgHiT.jpg

Now some of my own.
    What is even the point of this?
    AZLG2S5.jpg
    and this?
    vrNT48a.jpg
    Tony hawkzor 720 railing grind combo x100
    CmZCaN6.jpg
    ZAhcwvI.jpg
    Where does this door go? Oh. no where.
    kEvL9Q1.jpg
    tWQo5Ma.jpg
    B0rtOSY.jpg
    why make ~30% of the room borderline unusable positioning wise?
    yh5op28.jpg
    y1xwqIu.jpg
    Nice and roomy place to fight skulks with 2.5 meters warning (which is basically -5 with higher than ~150 ping), an rt pressing on your right shoulder, and a pillar just behind you.
    tqCDUkJ.jpg
    dat jut
    SskfbIm.jpg
    Atleast it's not a bumblebee crate this time. Thankgod.
    uTGYLZP.jpg
    Spoke too soon
    fljDlK6.jpg
    Stop making me fully commit to almost every room before knowing what's in it via crates
    gZ96y6r.jpg
    wHIZgoq.jpg
    Some nice troll rooms. Can't wait for people to start doing gorge tunnel cookie cutters
    motdq61.jpg
    ubi0CBn.jpg
    Overcompensating this entrance for core access much? Literally impossible to push here with anything higher than 150 ping or 99 meds and a2.
    IdCv5v5.jpg
    and here
    O8DlvkR.jpg
    redundant stairs
    p7bYDRf.jpg
    lxtiobl.jpg

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So much to click, way too little time.
    @elodea
    There's criticism.. then there's nitpicking.. then there's making up a problem.

My screenshots were to show what you may not have noticed.. but if you want a practical shot, here ya go:
    gsLP6Nb.jpg
    Now i could easily just do what you did and stick my head in the literal ground to show you how i can make the same position work for your argument:
    t7tommw.jpg
    I do hope you give both my point, and the first sentence of this post some thought..

p.s. Your post was like a click and point adventure. You should charge for that experience.
    edited December 2013
    nice clap clap. A screenshot of the room that is most similar to ns1 and does not have crates.

hey bro, not my fault there are so many bumblebee crates all over the map. Otherwise there might have been less screenshots. You started this screenshot/spoiler thing, so don't go running away under the cloak of righteousness
    Now i could easily just do what you did and stick my head in the literal ground to show you how i can make the same position work for your argument:
    t7tommw.jpg
    *I thought i made legitimate points with some pretty legitimate positioning issues. And if you can't see the problem here, I would have to guess you were playtesting in exactly the same manner as you show here
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now if the crates could be knocked over and pushed around...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't believe the engine supports that type of physics.
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    This map throughout development was always marine sided, so much so that Remedy had virtually scrapped the entire center of the map to try and resolve the issues, which really didn't work, because the problem wasn't the layout, it was the size of the map, and the easy access to all potential alien expansions. The map hardly looked like NS1 eclipse at that point, and Remedy had disappeared from the scene altogether when I got hold of the map again after Biodome.

I made a decision that there was no point in remaking a map if you are just going to change everything, so the direction of the map took a turn and I put back as much of the old ns1 layout as I could see being viable. The problem with this was that inevitably left a lot of corridors which were longer than the engines render distance, and the easiest resolution was to just add crates for cover, while trying to keep the layout as close as I could to the ns1 version.
    Someone has to state the obvious! It's all very well and good to be blinded by the prettiness (which it is) but you have to admit this rendition of eclipse is almost certainly not going to be much fun from the long term gameplay perspective especially when you get into higher pings. Just alot of places on the map where you literally will not be able to do anything as marine no matter how good your aim is.

Considering that the vast majority of our map testing group are premier division players, and most of the testing turned out marine favored, your suggestion that marines wont be able to do anything is not accurate. But I guess just seeing the map for a few days is conclusive evidence. I remember the days during beta when you were actually giving constructive feedback and not just whining elodea, guess all good things must come to an end.

The bottom line is that the map is not done. Despite being released, I fully intend to investigate the possibility of making changes for the better of things. The maptesting never reveals the full potential of problems and has to go into mass testing with the whole community in order to find out what needs to be done to resolve issues. Keep constructive with your comments, and hey, maybe I can make the map to your liking. But the more you seek to insult me without giving proper feedback, the less likely I am to listen to you. Much of what you see in the map is direct result of feedback, despite what you think.

• Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    Lots of sarcastic negative comments in this thread. Hoping to counterbalance some of that. I have really enjoyed the map so far... it was obviously a labour of love and the detail shows it.

As for the map being alien biased: many of the corridors are indeed claustrophobic (and thus favour skulks), but the map size itself seems inherently favourable to aggressive marines, as mentioned above. I think one of the major issues is that on pub servers marines tend not to understand that aggression is the paramount virtue. Also, fades are forced to travel in fairly straight lines in narrow areas which is very dangerous. I would not be surprised to see more teams saving for an extra Onos rather than pumping out the 2 standard fades.

Thanks for the free content update!
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    In the games I've played on Eclipse so far, (roughly 20 or so) the outcome seems to rely entirely upon where Aliens start.

So far in every game I've seen, when Aliens start at Maintenance = Aliens steamroll the Marines in no time. When they spawn elsewhere, Marines rush Maintenance and steamroll the Aliens...

It's also an extremely confusing map (like a maze) - The first time I played I spent the entire time trying to get out of our base (and ending up right back where I started a minute later) There are also WAY too many areas where it looks like there is a hallway/corridor, only you turn down it to discover it ends after 2-3 feet with a sealed door. (which makes learning the map a LOT harder)

That being said it is a very nice looking map, and I found some really nice ambush spots for when playing Alien, so it will probably get better with time. (like Descent, hated that map at first, but now it's not so bad) I have to ask though, they really couldn't come up with a name for the Marine starting area other than Marine start? lol