My point of view as a new player and as a veteran esport gamer

123457»

Comments

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    i think it would be nice to have a open discussion with @hugh or anyone who knows the path of which the proposed matchmaking is taking. I dont know any playtesters that have any insight on it and unfortunately knowing UWE they will implement matchmaking as a open alpha and its function will be confusing and it will be a flop.

And i must disagree that this game is made purely for competitive players. Uwe has failed to create a easy way to integrate into competitive and it has been left to community members to create and run the ENSL since 2001. There still isn't even a link to ENSL.org anywhere on UWE's site!
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/community/
  • NJNaonedNJNaoned France Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189773Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I think he is referring to 6v6 servers.

This brings up the other issue that will always persist which is that regular pub players will want large 20+ servers while the competitive players want 6v6. I never though understood why other than lack of players we could not have 10v10 competitive as it would honestly be a lot more fun to watch than 6v6 due to the increased amount of action. Maybe if they aimed for that from the start it could have been but we will never know.

If that is what you want matchmaking for I just hope that if it is implemented it is clear to players that the matchmaking button is for competitive players looking for matches and not pug players just looking to join a large server quickly.

Under this logic a simpler and much faster way to implement what you guys seem to want would be to have a simple way to have NSL type servers appear gold or be filterable in the server list. Then users click the competitive option for example and see only servers that are catering toward that. Then you simply join a server as competitive player expecting others to do the same and there you go your all in 1 happy place together having your competitive match!

No major changes needed or complex systems to make. Just a simpler way for players looking for competitive play to find each other by locating servers targeted for them.

The problems with pub servers right now are :

- When you join a server, you mostely arrive in a middle of a game, you don't really know where the game is, sometime you arrive and you have already lost, sometime already won... you don't really feel part of the game.
    - When you start a new game (you have already joined the server), the game will start only when both teams have a commander even if the teams are not completly full. People will leave in the middle of the game, other will arrive in the middle of the game. How are you supposed to be well organized and have a clear view of the progress of the game if a quarter of your team mates change in the middle of the game ?
    - In public servers, players are more intend to leave a game
    - 6 vs 6 public server won't work because you need to be exactly 12 players (you can't play 6 vs 5), and those 12 players need to stay during the whole game
    - One of the most important problem is the difference in the level of players. It is as frustrated for good players to play with bad players as for bad players to play with good players. Getting always killed is not very funny and loosing because your mate are bad isn't either.

All thoses problems are fixed with a good matchmaking system :
    - A game will start only when the required number of player is reached
    - Players will have similar level
    - If a player leave during a game, he should be punished (it means a players must know if he has enought time to play a game if he clicks on the "matchmaking button")

A matchmaking system would not mean the end of public server where people may enjoy playing FFA. It will improve the experience of players by giving them a clear way to play the game and not only server where sometime it is similar as a playground school.

Again, sorry for my english.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    now you're lucky to find 3 full pub servers.

Huh? I have 7 servers, almost all of them are full all day everyday.
    the devas made it clear: ns2 is mainly made for competitive play... tbh that hurts communities... the game being designed for competitive players and encouraging friendly large pub communities seems to not work.

Where do you come up with this? They have posted in this very topic to the contrary. Are you stating they don't know what they developed the game for? Seriously?

In addition, I've been running NS servers for 10 years now. I'm not sure what you mean by using the term "hurting". We serve about 148 players every min. almost all day long, every day. Of course, we're an American "community", and there is down time while we're resting, and working/school.

sorry, I guess it was my bias against your servers. but are they pub "size" (I haven't looked since I was banned about a year ago, yet another bias)?

and yes, this game is designed mostly... mostly... mostly designed for smaller, more competitive player count. its not worth pointing out every instance of this... and I'm not bashing that.

a community exists of more than a couple regulars and payers isn't a community... I'm basing this off of ns1, mind you. if you have a ton of regulars, then kudos to you. that's one community. we need more either way.

@g4b2sservers

Why don't you point out even some of the instances of it balanced for competitive instead of pub? Can you even be bothered to do that before stating the current game balance as a fact?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The only thing that needs to be altered to account for pub (read: larger playercounts) is the number of starting eggs and IPs.

And maybe, MAYBE hive and comm chair HP as currently if an entire team rushes either, considering thats 9 players, the thing goes down in seconds- often before there is reasonable time to respond
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I really really don't want to look at every single time people want this game balanced around 6v6 (go finding pub players that aren't near competitive lvl), the huge community announcement that turned out to be all competitive... there are more... if people read the forums you'd see the elitist posts, or just simply, sorry but the game isn't meant for larger servers (pubs in most cases). I also said the game was mostly made around competitive. mostly... not entirely. its balanced mostly for 6v6 competitive play... if you dont understand that then just ignore my posts.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    if you dont understand that then just ignore my posts.

Will do.
    disagreeing with everything I say and liking anything someone says to counter me just reflects your servers king.
    wow. disagreeing with my next posts then flag me as abuse? really? anyone?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Welcome to KingKahuna. @RapGod

Enjoy your stay.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    All you of, stop it now. This means you, too, Baron.
    lol hey iron, I figured you were being nice by allowing this... but I'll stop and just take the internetz insultz.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    And maybe, MAYBE hive and comm chair HP as currently if an entire team rushes either, considering thats 9 players, the thing goes down in seconds- often before there is reasonable time to respond

No. You have 9 of your own players that should have been in position to scout and stop that rush.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited December 2013
    The only thing that needs to be altered to account for pub (read: larger playercounts) is the number of starting eggs and IPs.

proper lane blocking, if your entire team runs one way with 1 guy going to block the other, you deserve to lose.

it's not fun, but it's also not imba.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The only thing that really changes in a 10v10+ server is the impact a single player can have on the overall outcome. So essentially, you don't out-skill your opponents in large servers... you simply out zerg them.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    IMO this game will never be balanced for both competitive games and pub games, it’s not counter strike. There are too many fighting style angles too many scenarios where one team would greatly benefit of the other.

Personally I think one of the biggest distinctions is the building cap. In a 6v6 game players are only going to be using a part of the map a good fight would only happen here or there. If this game were ever to go to 16v16 game, players would be using the entire map all the time and we would see major fights everywhere and a need for a lot more structures.

Now as for new players playing this game vs. pro players well that’s going to fall upon which server you play on. It doesn’t really matter if a new player joins a rookie green server or not, it depends on the rules of that server and if there are admins there to enforce those rules.

Now let’s take KKG servers. We are not a green server but we are rookie friendly and pub servers, if you join we will try to teach you as much about the game as we can but keep in mind we have some very good players that play there. However for players that join with the intent to do nothing but pub stomp, well you might get banned for that. Now if you do get banned for pub stomping or disrespect or racism and we have very strict rules on that bring it to our forums and make your argument there. Don’t bring them here since there’s nothing anyone here can do about it.