My point of view as a new player and as a veteran esport gamer

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RisingSun wrote: »
    You are an employee of UWE and the official voice we get in these forums. We love this game dearly and play because we want too, but because we are getting paid to be here. No one is being overly rude or swearing/name calling. If they want to be negative they have a right to be. If every time you post it is met with negativity, it might be time to look at the content of your post and why people are so unhappy. To me you seem very disconnected from the community and very standoffish. If you cant sort through the negativity and pull out the "why" they are upset, you might want to look into giving the PR gig up to someone else. I am tired of hearing your threats to exit the forum at any sign of someone disagreeing with you or showing an error in your post.

So much this. Great post @RisingSun
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see 2 sides of the coin here.
    @RisingSun, I agree with your assessment about Hugh's post. At times, I feel he isn't being as friendly as he used to be (back when we were getting builds every couple of weeks). He was excited to announce thing and was generally more engaging.

On the other side, since the WC announce, I think we as a community had been a bit too harsh to him. There were so much negativity toward him about the big announce. I felt he was treated unfairly by us (by that I mean the community) whom basically gave him heaps of crap for getting excited about a publicity event organised by the community. Granted it was slightly over-hyped (but can you blame someone from marketing getting excited?). So I think (hope), there can be forgiveness on both sides. This is hard as "the community" is not a single entity that can represented by a single person (may be we can all pitch in for a extra large gorge plushie for him?). And, Hugh probably need to be less defensive, because we aren't criticizing him, just discussing how we feel.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    It is extremely depressing to come into a thread, after taking the time to give a detailed and thorough description of UWE's position on OP's concerns, and find nitpicking and barbs being thrown. Instead of discussing the topic at hand, I'm being told (absurdly) that my post is not accurate. Expert commentators are telling me that someone has gone back in time and magically turned NS2's overwhelming success into failure. And so forth.

Do @NJNaoned a solid and make this discussion one about matchmaking and organised play. Do me a solid and motivate me to keep posting information. Let me know how the timetable I have mentioned will affect play. Tell me how the idea of hardcore-competitive (tournaments?) and casual-competitive (gathers?) branches will be useful or not useful. Etc.

Sir, if anyone of us had made a post like this, we would have been ban 6 ways to Sunday. While I can understand any frustration you might have, keep in mind you just blessed out every single paying customer this company has. It's not a brilliant business move. Just sayn'.

Learn to treat their comments as noise, only to yourself, but present a professional image, and understanding heart to people who otherwise pay your salary. Just a tip.

Have a good day sir.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Not to derail the lovely anti-hugh mob with pitchforks and fire...
    coolitic wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »
    What ghost said. NS2 attracts casual players with its interesting and different game type (fps/rts) but the game itself is typically only appealing to those who are a bit more dedicated compared to your everyday casual gamer. Even the pubbers today invest 20 or 30 hours into the game before they really start to grasp many of its concepts.

Yeah but the skill ceiling still isn't that high. @Hugh, matchmaking might help skilled play for skilled players, but unless each matchmaking type has different balance it won't be enough as it's only gonna stop you from teaming up with the less skilled players but wont help the low skill ceiling.

However, since the reason the skill ceiling was lowered is to attract casual gamers, the skill ceiling can be heightened again because with matchmaking the casual players can play with casual players, without worrying too much that it's too hard.

But I am pretty sure you don't understand what a skill ceiling actually is. I think I get what you are trying to say... but the context is just wrong lol

P.S. Matchmaking is coming. Be patient.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Shut up, we want moar free contentzzz!!!11 Nowwwww
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    RisingSun wrote: »
    This saddens me greatly. The active development of the flag ship game NS2 was the one thing keeping me playing. I did not support "Reinforced" to see the money used on a game no one wants in a genre not many care about.
    I have seen this repeated time and time again, that people don't want their donations going to our other project.

1- We stated that the donation program was designed to help recoup the money ALREADY spent, on the massive Reinforced update. We did not state that donations were for further development. That said, however:

2 - We are continuing to work on NS2, where do you think that money comes from? The Eclipse map alone costs nearly as much as the total amount of Reinforced donations so far. We still have developers, like Andi, working on bug fixes, balance changes, optimizations, and features. The small amount of money coming in from the donations is not going towards other projects, it doesn't even cover the current NS2 development.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If it comes down to it, I wouldn't mind seeing the sort of cosmetic dlc found in other games like dota2 or cs:go. As long as it helps support the fun the game we're all enjoying.

We already seen hints of this with black armor, deluxe, and reinforced cosmetics.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    People will complain anything. You can give them $1 million and they will gripe and complain as to why you didn't give them $2 million. I personally don't see a lot of issues with this game. Team stacking is probably the biggest issue for me but there is a fix in the works for that. I think the game balance is just fine. Now that I got everything on my end fixed, performance is great. I really don't understand where all this animosity comes from. UWE is the most involved and cooperative game companies I've seen and that alone is why I plan to stay with them now for NS2 and future projects. If you don't like it, go buy EA or Activision titles because we all know they appreciate their communities. :P
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    @coolitic and @xDragon. The Gorge love shack was a "fun" diversion. But it isn't really going to win the game for you. So I wouldn't consider it an essential part of a winning strategy...

Yeah a reiteration of NS1 would be great.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm finding this trend towards personal attacks against developers by a FEW members of this community, very disturbing. Hugh's post does not justify in any way this kind of behavior. He took the time to write up a detailed, informative and polite post to the OP, and its no wonder he gets a bit frustrated (as I certainly am right now) when people decide to just disregard that and continue with their trash talking.

The constant negativity around here keeps many of the other devs from posting here. Hugh and I continue on, the best we can. We do our best to ignore the trollish posts, to be friendly, informative, and to try and disseminate the correct information when rumors and false presumptions about developer decisions start to spread. Out of the thousands of posts we've made made, people always feel the need to call us out on the few posts where we vent some frustration (as I'm sure will now happen in regards to my post).

We aren't a faceless publisher owned company that doesn't interact with their community. Please just try and remember that when posting. Thanks.

Don't worry Cory.... do not let the few represent the many here.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    More unnecessary rudeness from the usual suspects... I for one am getting bored of every thread turning into some rage riddled slagging match. I'd bet the ban hammer would only have to fall a few times to change the tone of the forums.
    Just remember the small vocal minority that like to sway every thread in a negative direction, might make the most noise but they in no way reflect the attitudes and feelings of the rest of the community.

on another note.... Any forum moderator positions open?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    There was no rudeness in my post above, only my opinion of why people are upset. Here's some though, fuck off. You're no better for acting superior to the rest of us and trying to suck up to the overlords.

I also fully expect some kind of (in my opinion) unjust disciplinary action. But it needed to be said.
    @RisingSun says it better than I ever could, since I'm awful with words D:
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The OP had two main points as far as I can tell:
    1. We need matchmaking
    2. We need more stats and level / rank progression

I agree with both of these.

The rankings are what kept me playing BF3 for a long time. I would love to see more of this in NS2.

Unfortunately, I feel like UWE is too far behind the ball to make this stuff work.

This is unsolicited advice, but if I were in charge of UWE I would take Valve's approach to releasing games—when it's done, it's done.

I think UWE released NS2 too soon. There was not enough content and performance was still an issue. Only now is the game beginning to feel complete to me and we still lack a multitude of maps, alternate game modes, matchmaking, and stats (not to mention other goodies like model skins, etc.)

Just my $0.02
    I'm of the opinion that rankings that have no affect (unlocks) on gameplay would be ok as a move for player retention. The two flaws are how it's calculated (if it's score that adds up to get ranks then what about the comm?) and people not wanting to show a rank. The second one can be easily handled with the option to hide your rank. With no unlocks/rewards from ranking up though I do have to wonder how well it would help with player retention. I think people might initially want to rank up then realise it doesn't make a difference and stop caring.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    DarkATi wrote: »
    I think UWE released NS2 too soon.

They really didn't have much choice at the time, they had to go from closed alpha to a purchase-beta pretty much because they needed the money to continue developing the game.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @RisingSun You're assuming I'm disagreeing with your gripes...and tbh this has gone so far off topic so I'm not saying either way. I just think Its always important to be nice to people no matter how much they piss you off.
    @Ghosthree3 Acting?! I wasn't sucking up to or defending anyone. I only have to go through your post history to see how negative your posts can be. The rate at which threads on these forums devolve into a sh*t throwing contest is quite alarming, and while i can't recall if you start these topics I've definitely seen poop on your fingertips.
    What does my posting history have to do with the post I made. You said THAT post was rude, you can't use other posts to help prove your point.
    I didn't name names, certainly not yours. And I wont. I was merely commenting on the negativity on this topic towards another community member. It's nothing new but its getting old.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

They really didn't have much choice at the time, they had to go from closed alpha to a purchase-beta pretty much because they needed the money to continue developing the game.

The 'purchase-beta' wasnt even finished before they took our second -or third!- wad of money and announced they were moving on to other projects that nobody actually cares about.

NS2 has not delivered what it has set out to deliver - performance, modability, the feeling of playing a full-featured game and not something hobbled together in a shed.

I fucking love this game, I love the shit out of it. But it doesn't feel like UWE feel the same way.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013

The 'purchase-beta' wasnt even finished before they took our second -or third!- wad of money and announced they were moving on to other projects that nobody actually cares about.

NS2 has not delivered what it has set out to deliver - performance, modability, the feeling of playing a full-featured game and not something hobbled together in a shed.

I fucking love this game, I love the shit out of it. But it doesn't feel like UWE feel the same way.

Assuming stuff like "UWE doesnt love the game" seems inane. You really think these guys that poured their bodies and minds for like 5 years into NS2 do not like it?

Really? How does that sound reasonable.
    They love the game, just not enough to not continue on to another project is his point. I understand they kind of need to though, because money. They could ask for more donations though.
    edited December 2013
    Before the thread probably gets locked for being offtopic for too long, there should be an acknowledgement of where the appropriate place to discuss these criticisms should be.

Like when the eisfeild(can't remember how to spell his name) ban discussion thread that was locked prematurely, I'm pretty sure there was more people wanted to say but they pretty much weren't allowed to speak about it.

Don't stop people from posting about it, stop people's reason for posting about it.

I like supporting the game and I will always recommend others to try it out, myself among others impacted the course of the development for the game, but it feels like anyone with a strong enough level of criticism is being blocked out of the discussion. Which causes a lot of frustration and it only gets worse when the only facet of developmental insight we get is from the pr guy who doesn't want anything to do with us.