Subnautica: Descend into the Depths - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica: Descend into the Depths - Subnautica

Subnautica is an open world underwater exploration and construction game. We are Unknown Worlds, the developers of Natural Selection 2, and Subnautica is our new project. Subnautica will combine elements of role playing, sandbox, exploration and cinematic games to create a unique experience, the genre of which we do not believe has yet been invented. We have assembled a small team, and are in the early stages of prototyping Subnautica gameplay. The first in-game art assets are being created, soundscapes are being recorded, and animations are starting to slither, turn and swim. We have created a rich library of concept art, and set about designing and iterating on core elements of gameplay. Subnautica is not in ‘alpha,’ …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Comment system is broken. So I'm making threads, like a boss. Make me happy by commenting in my thread! Here is the original post: Descend into the Depths
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Loving the music shown so far!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very nice guys, makes me even more excited for what is sure to be a great game
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Looking forward to supporting this! Can't wait to see what you learned from ns2 development and what you can potentially bring back to ns2 from Subnautica.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    I dunno why but it made me instantly think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJUmXs07VY4

Also, there was a learning game back when i was in grade 3 where you would drive a sub around and discover stuff...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spektor56 wrote: »
    I dunno why but it made me instantly think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJUmXs07VY4

Also, there was a learning game back when i was in grade 3 where you would drive a sub around and discover stuff...

I believe that is called Operation Neptune.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I can't access yt from this PC D:

But hey, that all reads awesome! BUILDING submarines!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I was hoping the next UWE title would be ambitious, so I'm pretty psyched for this.

the underwater setting opens so many doors in terms of gameplay experience & visuals. It's a completely unnatural experience for the human mind to be submerged in the depths, so it will be interesting to see how the devs can use this to their advantage in terms of atmosphere & gameplay. On earth sea creatures are fascinating visually, almost like they're already from another planet, so it's going to great to see what Cory comes up with in terms of life forms & plant life.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Close encounters pic? I see a female char! Please don't tease us with day one females!
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Really awesome idea guys. _Looking forward_ to it.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited December 2013
    I can't wait to go underwater and a krill streak :)

Looking forward to this, I love getting a group of peeps together and exploring and building in games such as terraria - there is something really exciting about exploring underwater especially.

Would like to hear more detail about the submarine construction aspect of it.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Looking forward to it
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to get the newly repaired bot to create the proper comment thread
  • pakuizepakuize Join Date: 2011-09-02 Member: 119652Members
    Okay i'm sold just let us know when we can start to get the credit cards our of our pockets :)
  • TzudroTzudro Miami, FL Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191181Members
    schkorpio wrote: »
    I can't wait to go underwater and a krill streak :)

Looking forward to this, I love getting a group of peeps together and exploring and building in games such as terraria - there is something really exciting about exploring underwater especially.

Would like to hear more detail about the submarine construction aspect of it.

I also think it would be cool to be able to cruise around the depths with some friends. It would be cool to see what kinds of different vessels you and your friends come up with and how they can interact and complement each other.

For example, I (A) built a small, quick manuaverable vessel. B built a lumbering science vessel with advanced analysis tech. C built a powerful, anti critter vessel.

A goes in and gets nasty critter's attention. Be moves in and gathers the item we need. B returns to C and delivers item. A returns to be, who repulses the creature (I would love it if we didn't have to kill stuff, there's enough of that everywhere). C researches material, passes it to A and B.
  • bombastinatorbombastinator usa Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214965Members
    feedback data site will not accept login, or signup but this will.
    Game is badly badly broken for me right now. over a dozen crashes, and right now it wont sucessfully boot at all. i found my crash data but have no way to get it to anyone.
  • SeaDragon1231SeaDragon1231 usa Join Date: 2017-01-17 Member: 226886Members
    mine never crashes.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    mine never crashes.

NECROMANCY IS AFOOT.

50tqgdnw0cs1.jpg
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    I've gotta pen, I've gotta apple..

*moans*

Apple pen!