My point of view as a new player and as a veteran esport gamer

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @BestProfileName to be honest i completely agree with you. You made a fair point in a reasonable way. It isn't that hard right?!
    My post was directed at the people who lowered the bar further still. Its the same people I see with raised hackles at every debate. The old 'we only rage so hard because we love the game so much' line doesn't detract from the fact your conduct has a negative effect on the community and health of the game.
    Hugh might of been flippant/unprofessional in his following post but i can empathize with the guy in this instance.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Howser wrote: »
    @RisingSun I just think Its always important to be nice to people no matter how much they piss you off.

Agreed. This works two ways. Otherwise, it's just plain bullying.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    DarkATi wrote: »
    I think UWE released NS2 too soon.

They really didn't have much choice at the time, they had to go from closed alpha to a purchase-beta pretty much because they needed the money to continue developing the game.

The 'purchase-beta' wasnt even finished before they took our second -or third!- wad of money and announced they were moving on to other projects that nobody actually cares about.

NS2 has not delivered what it has set out to deliver - performance, modability, the feeling of playing a full-featured game and not something hobbled together in a shed.

I fucking love this game, I love the shit out of it. But it doesn't feel like UWE feel the same way.

Assuming stuff like "UWE doesnt love the game" seems inane. You really think these guys that poured their bodies and minds for like 5 years into NS2 do not like it?

Really? How does that sound reasonable.

Please don't mind my wording, it's very important you understand what I say before you disagree with it.

My words were not "UWE doesnt love the game", what I actually said was
    I fucking love this game, I love the shit out of it. But it doesn't feel like UWE feel the same way.

You can love steak, but if all you eat for 10 years is steak, after a while you don't want steak anymore. So frankly there's nothing unreasonable about what YOU THINK I said.

And certainly nothing unreasonable about what I actually said.

That said, maybe SN is the kind of nearly-a-hiatus from NS2 the devs need.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig Here's the thing.
    YOU make great posts, I don't think there's a single person in the community that dislikes you. Your posts are short, informative and sometimes funny. Hugh on the other hand makes posts that contain none of the above traits. His posts are very long, much, much longer than they need to be, they're never funny, and very often the content of his posts rarely contains any useful information as well as sometimes making it painfully obvious he hasn't even read the OP in entirety. You end up reading 2 pages of text and getting 1 sentence worth of information out of it that is rarely helpful. That's REALLY frustrating. The way he clearly believes the community is beneath him does not help either, he acts very superior like we're all kids playing in his sandbox and if we have a problem with the quality of the sand then we can get the fuck out.
    [...]
    Hugh is formal in his posts, but your interpretation is increadibly farfetched.
  • NJNaonedNJNaoned France Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189773Members
    What I see is, I started this topic to talk about matchmaking and rankeing system (I've never talked about reward, skin or anything like that), then some people started to talk about imbalance or lack of content or optimization (which wasn't the subject of this topic at first but fair enought, this is something they think it should be changed first) and now, people are arguing about manners, developpers ' manners and the way a PR shoult behave....

@Ghosthree3 I tryed to focus again the debate by asking to you, what was, in your opinion, imbalance in the game. The only answer I had is something like "I don't want to answer because it would be too long to explain"...

Now, what we can do is to focus again the debate about what lack in the game, but please, stop saying that the game is imbalance or any other complain without arguing, it won't make the debate go further or what we can do is just close this topic because it's going nowhere.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NJNaoned wrote: »
    What I see is, I started this topic to talk about matchmaking and rankeing system (I've never talked about reward, skin or anything like that), then some people started to talk about imbalance or lack of content or optimization (which wasn't the subject of this topic at first but fair enought, this is something they think it should be changed first) and now, people are arguing about manners, developpers ' manners and the way a PR shoult behave....

@Ghosthree3 I tryed to focus again the debate by asking to you, what was, in your opinion, imbalance in the game. The only answer I had is something like "I don't want to answer because it would be too long to explain"...

Now, what we can do is to focus again the debate about what lack in the game, but please, stop saying that the game is imbalance or any other complain without arguing, it won't make the debate go further or what we can do is just close this topic because it's going nowhere.

OP, I just kind of assumed you would attach rewards to the player rankings but maybe I was wrong.

Still, I agree with what you said. We need matchmaking and we need rankings, and these two features need to be fully integrated into NS2. These do not need to be third party mods, unless UWE adopts them and includes them for everyone. We need matchmaking and ranking as a part of the game itself.

When I play BF3 I get notified in-game and have a re-cap at the end of the round that displays my stats and tells me where I'm at. That would really help NS2 a lot!
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited December 2013
    My 0.02€: This is a prime example of why devs usually dont interact with the community like UWE does. The risk of creating negative reactions and a possible shitstorm cause by an unfortunatly worded dev post outweights the positive impact you can make. Especially in games, you get to deal with customers who are not mentially mature enough for meaningful discussions.

About matchmaking, I am glad matchmaking and ranking threads are not being shot down by exactly that negativity in the forum as they were about a year ago. As I already experienced a very decent matchmaking system for my favourite pub server in NS1, I think it could solve some problems. When I think back there is also another element that comes to mind: Punishment of people who ruin the game. I'm not so much talking about cheaters here, I talk about trolls, uncooperative players or people who intentionally stack to stomp a weaker team. Back in the day, the admins did most of that work. On a game wide scale, I think a system as in Dota2 could work, where players can report or commend other players. Receive enough reports in a certain amount of time and you get LPQ (Low Priority Queue) status which means you get only matched with other LPQ players. Since they limited the system to 2 reports per week I think it works quite well. When you spend a game in LPQ, you can tell that most of these players deserved their punishment. However, getting this right is difficult and there was a lot of experimentation (and very very bad patches) until they got where they are now.
    You can love steak, but if all you eat for 10 years is steak, after a while you don't want steak anymore. So frankly there's nothing unreasonable about what YOU THINK I said.
    Challenge accepted! Seriously, I get what you are trying to say and I agree. After the release of NS2 (and the minor patches to make it run stable) I already thought about suggesting for all of UWE to take a vacation for 2 weeks and not touch NS2. To me it seemed that UWE tried to capture all the feedback of the community and react with patches immediatly - imho they acted to rashly. All the tweaking of the beta test got thrown out of the window because it didn't fit for the greens and no juggling of costs or timers was gonna fix that in a quick patch. For me it was quite apparent that the majority of the community did not know what they want when they were complaining. I know the feeling, you finally release your work and you want it to be perfect and loved by everyone but there is just this one thing to fix...
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    you get to deal with customers who are not mentially mature enough for meaningful discussions.

Disagree with this completely. These "customers" paid for a product, and deserve to be treated with professional respect. Everyone who spends their own money for a product depends on quality customer relations.
    About matchmaking, I am glad matchmaking and ranking threads are not being shot down by exactly that negativity in the forum as they were about a year ago. As I already experienced a very decent matchmaking system for my favourite pub server in NS1, I think it could solve some problems. When I think back there is also another element that comes to mind: Punishment of people who ruin the game. I'm not so much talking about cheaters here, I talk about trolls, uncooperative players or people who intentionally stack to stomp a weaker team. Back in the day, the admins did most of that work. On a game wide scale, I think a system as in Dota2 could work, where players can report or commend other players. Receive enough reports in a certain amount of time and you get LPQ (Low Priority Queue) status which means you get only matched with other LPQ players. Since they limited the system to 2 reports per week I think it works quite well. When you spend a game in LPQ, you can tell that most of these players deserved their punishment. However, getting this right is difficult and there was a lot of experimentation (and very very bad patches) until they got where they are now.

I love this suggestion. However, it's impossible to make work with so many server run by different individuals. I would pay for a developer to make a server side mod for my 7 servers to do just this. If anyone is interested, pm me.

Challenge accepted! Seriously, I get what you are trying to say and I agree. After the release of NS2 (and the minor patches to make it run stable) I already thought about suggesting for all of UWE to take a vacation for 2 weeks and not touch NS2. To me it seemed that UWE tried to capture all the feedback of the community and react with patches immediatly - imho they acted to rashly. All the tweaking of the beta test got thrown out of the window because it didn't fit for the greens and no juggling of costs or timers was gonna fix that in a quick patch. For me it was quite apparent that the majority of the community did not know what they want when they were complaining. I know the feeling, you finally release your work and you want it to be perfect and loved by everyone but there is just this one thing to fix...

Agreed.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    can't say that obraxis hasn't used his moderator power a little too... loosely. (burying posts with 8 of his own dislikes... 8 of his own). but I haven't seen him step in too much lately so that's probably for the best.

/derail
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That probably was the famous bug with the forums. For a long time, and until very recently, If an admin agreed or disagreed it counted as five votes, essentially promoting (blue title) or sinking the post.. And to us it just looked like one vote.. So some accidents did occur.

This is why the only input I ever used to have was clicking "awesome".. It wasn't because I thought so many posts were actually awesome lol
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    That probably was the famous bug with the forums. For a long time, and until very recently, If an admin agreed or disagreed it counted as five votes, essentially promoting (blue title) or sinking the post.. And to us it just looked like one vote.. So some accidents did occur.

not in this case. other people pointed it out and nothing was said or done. this thread needs to b closed and ppl need to start a thread abt how the game is suffering.. the op wasn't expecting this much derailment...
    apparently my retarded iPad won't let me edit right now. just wanted to add that it was 8 dislikes, not 5....
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    There was no game level implementation of matchmaking in NS1 yet it survived for years.

Yes I understand how the competitive players view the game only in results and stats however unlike console games pc games online were always built around community servers. Where over time players that know each other from playing there meet up regardless of skill and have some fun games.

In console games and games where there are no community servers all the servers are exactly the same. Thus there was no way to join server X and always play on that as your first choice. As a result things like matchmaking where needed in order to get similar players together b/c there was no other way for them to locate each other or meet up again.

As we have seen in other pc games that implement matchmaking with official servers or restrict it only to a very limited subset of servers you destroy the community servers that make pc gaming unique.

If your trying to build a dedicated community to stick to a game community servers are the way to go b/c they actually BUILD communities. Community servers encourage social interaction between players in a way that matchmaking never can. It is this interaction that makes players socially involved with the game and thus more dedicated to it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS1 didn't need matchmaking because it was a different generation of gamers. People are lazy now.
    NS1 didn't need matchmaking because it was a different generation of gamers. People are lazy now.

Yet they somehow manage to use the server browser despite this? Also there is the other side that anyone like whom your describing is not really the sort of person who could play this game anyways... lol

But seriously I think that comment showcases why matchmaking is viewed as a joke as it does not truly benefit the player other than to offer them a sub par less involved experience with the game. Instead we should be offering users something fun and unique that draws them into the game as they make friends on community servers and keep coming back to play. Lets have community servers turn these "lazy" gamers into players who are part of a community rather than just fighting boredom.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ZEROibis wrote: »

Yet they somehow manage to use the server browser despite this? Also there is the other side that anyone like whom your describing is not really the sort of person who could play this game anyways... lol

They may not be the people we'd like playing the game ideally. But we don't really have a choice, if we want the game to live we have to take anyone at this point. They probably remember how to use the server browser from uh...yeah I dunno how they figured it out.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

But seriously I think that comment showcases why matchmaking is viewed as a joke as it does not truly benefit the player other than to offer them a sub par less involved experience with the game. Instead we should be offering users something fun and unique that draws them into the game as they make friends on community servers and keep coming back to play. Lets have community servers turn these "lazy" gamers into players who are part of a community rather than just fighting boredom.

Your completely misinterpreting the whole idea behind the proposed
    Matchmaking system.
    It's not to replace the current server browsing system which creates a brilliant community vibe and scene,- it's to help bridge the gap between public and competitive! If you arnt a proper competitive ns2 player (in a team) it doesn't mean that you won't enjoy or even crave playing a brilliant ORGANISED 6v6 game. That's what this matchmaking is for, giving joe public a chance to experience ns how it's designed to be played.
    It will never replace the server browser and it's not an alternative.
    Hopefully this will create a bigger competitive scene and merge both sides of the community.
    Right @hugh ? :)
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The amount of great passionate ns players i come across in public that end up raging at the game because no one listens is far too high, and when you chat to them they have never played a
    Pcw. We shouldn't rely on them having to stumble across the ensl site or post on here asking to join a team to let them experience a organised game.
    UWE need to advertise and implement the matchmaking system right because it's obvious a lot of people are confused about its purpose!
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Your completely misinterpreting the whole idea behind the proposed
    Matchmaking system.
    It's not to replace the current server browsing system which creates a brilliant community vibe and scene,- it's to help bridge the gap between public and competitive! If you arnt a proper competitive ns2 player (in a team) it doesn't mean that you won't enjoy or even crave playing a brilliant ORGANISED 6v6 game. That's what this matchmaking is for, giving joe public a chance to experience ns how it's designed to be played.
    It will never replace the server browser and it's not an alternative.
    Hopefully this will create a bigger competitive scene and merge both sides of the community.
    Right @hugh ? :)

^ This. I totally agree.

When I boot up a new game, I don't know what to do. I'd rather have a matchmaking system in place so I can enjoy a "Quick Play" before I go server hunting on my own.
    edited December 2013
    problem is... clans with communities have died out... probably after a cpl hundred updates that made less and less ppl lay. now you're lucky to find 3 full pub servers. the devas made it clear: ns2 is mainly made for competitive play... tbh that hurts communities... the game being designed for competitive players and encouraging friendly large pub communities seems to not work.

*edit* was gonna change my iPad correction but I find this post to be entertaining.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    problem is... clans with communities have died out... probably after a cpl hundred updates that made less and less ppl lay. now you're lucky to find 3 full pub servers. the devas made it clear: ns2 is mainly made for competitive play... tbh that hurts communities... the game being designed for competitive players and encouraging friendly large pub communities seems to not work.

*edit* was gonna change my iPad correction but I find this post to be entertaining.

Wut? I ALWAYS have at least10-15 servers to choose from whenever I decide to play......many with regulars
    I think he is referring to 6v6 servers.

This brings up the other issue that will always persist which is that regular pub players will want large 20+ servers while the competitive players want 6v6. I never though understood why other than lack of players we could not have 10v10 competitive as it would honestly be a lot more fun to watch than 6v6 due to the increased amount of action. Maybe if they aimed for that from the start it could have been but we will never know.

If that is what you want matchmaking for I just hope that if it is implemented it is clear to players that the matchmaking button is for competitive players looking for matches and not pug players just looking to join a large server quickly.

Under this logic a simpler and much faster way to implement what you guys seem to want would be to have a simple way to have NSL type servers appear gold or be filterable in the server list. Then users click the competitive option for example and see only servers that are catering toward that. Then you simply join a server as competitive player expecting others to do the same and there you go your all in 1 happy place together having your competitive match!

No major changes needed or complex systems to make. Just a simpler way for players looking for competitive play to find each other by locating servers targeted for them.
    now you're lucky to find 3 full pub servers.

Huh? I have 7 servers, almost all of them are full all day everyday.
    the devas made it clear: ns2 is mainly made for competitive play... tbh that hurts communities... the game being designed for competitive players and encouraging friendly large pub communities seems to not work.

Where do you come up with this? They have posted in this very topic to the contrary. Are you stating they don't know what they developed the game for? Seriously?

In addition, I've been running NS servers for 10 years now. I'm not sure what you mean by using the term "hurting". We serve about 148 players every min. almost all day long, every day. Of course, we're an American "community", and there is down time while we're resting, and working/school.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    DarkATi wrote: »

When I boot up a new game, I don't know what to do. I'd rather have a matchmaking system in place so I can enjoy a "Quick Play" before I go server hunting on my own.

Click "Play" then, "Quick Join"...mindblown :-O
    Quick join is already a thing, it may not be great, but it exists
    edited December 2013
    But pressing the button requires too much effort. Can the game come with a butler to press the buttons for us?
    It really should, all modern gamers are entitled to such rights.
    now you're lucky to find 3 full pub servers.

Huh? I have 7 servers, almost all of them are full all day everyday.
    the devas made it clear: ns2 is mainly made for competitive play... tbh that hurts communities... the game being designed for competitive players and encouraging friendly large pub communities seems to not work.

Where do you come up with this? They have posted in this very topic to the contrary. Are you stating they don't know what they developed the game for? Seriously?

In addition, I've been running NS servers for 10 years now. I'm not sure what you mean by using the term "hurting". We serve about 148 players every min. almost all day long, every day. Of course, we're an American "community", and there is down time while we're resting, and working/school.

sorry, I guess it was my bias against your servers. but are they pub "size" (I haven't looked since I was banned about a year ago, yet another bias)?

and yes, this game is designed mostly... mostly... mostly designed for smaller, more competitive player count. its not worth pointing out every instance of this... and I'm not bashing that.

a community exists of more than a couple regulars and payers isn't a community... I'm basing this off of ns1, mind you. if you have a ton of regulars, then kudos to you. that's one community. we need more either way.

@g4b2sservers