Skybox

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Is there a way to rotate the skybox ?
I know, it's not a real object.

Why do i want to move the sky texture?
Sunset is better with aligned spot.

I prefer not to rotate "everything" while a simple trick can be used.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You have to manually set the textures in the cinematic editor by editing askyboxname.cinematic
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I haven't played around with skyboxes or cinematics at all yet so I hope this is not a stupid question, but... if the skybox is technically a cinematic, would it be possible to animate it? A slowly rotating space-type skybox could look really cool for space station maps.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Solaris wrote: »
    I haven't played around with skyboxes or cinematics at all yet so I hope this is not a stupid question, but... if the skybox is technically a cinematic, would it be possible to animate it? A slowly rotating space-type skybox could look really cool for space station maps.

I've never actually tried that myself but I can't think of a good reason why that wouldn't work.

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    the top and bottom will still have to manually rotated in a photo editing program as rotation through the perimeters doesn't work.
    its no biggie get the nividia Photoshop plugin to directly open .dds files. Copy the up and down .dds files to you mod/output folder with the same folder hierarchy as the originals ( so for decent up view it'll be 'MYMOD'/output/materials/skybox/sky_descentup.dds and .material).
    Then do the same with the .cinematic file you want to edit ( 'MYMOD'/output/maps/skybox/sky_descen.cinematic) Open it, mod it accordingly and save. This should do the trick.
    Does anyone know why 3d models might not appear in the skybox ingame? They appear in the cinematic editor but not when i run the game. odd
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Insane wrote: »
    Solaris wrote: »

I've never actually tried that myself but I can't think of a good reason why that wouldn't work.

I think you can't animate .dds files, but I'm not an experted, and I'm a bit rusty concerning skyboxes...
    Howser wrote: »
    the top and bottom will still have to manually rotated in a photo editing program as rotation through the perimeters doesn't work.
    its no biggie get the nividia Photoshop plugin to directly open .dds files. Copy the up and down .dds files to you mod/output folder with the same folder hierarchy as the originals ( so for decent up view it'll be 'MYMOD'/output/materials/skybox/sky_descentup.dds and .material).
    Then do the same with the .cinematic file you want to edit ( 'MYMOD'/output/maps/skybox/sky_descen.cinematic) Open it, mod it accordingly and save. This should do the trick.
    Does anyone know why 3d models might not appear in the skybox ingame? They appear in the cinematic editor but not when i run the game. odd

Personally, I've had only problems with that plugin. Try paint.net, it's free and can handle .dds natively.

Also, check out the link in my sig.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can't animate the skybox. You can only animate things in the skybox itself, like Descent.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nevermind.
    I took the hard road.
    Will post some wishes for the editor once i m finished with my project.
    Sreenshot soon.
    (From mobile)
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Oops, it looks like I posted in a rush and accidentally gave out some misinformation. As SamusDroid says, you can't animate the skybox material itself. What I was talking about was animating objects in the skybox cinematic itself.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    So I notice that objects in the skybox are treated just the same as the skybox (ie rendered first so they always appear below everything else, like level objects) so... why even use a skybox object? Why not just use a textured cube that you CAN rotate?
    Because it would look poor, be horribly optimized, not visible due to draw distance probably, and be difficult to create.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Because it would look poor, be horribly optimized, not visible due to draw distance probably, and be difficult to create.

No, a giant cube object in the skybox, not in the level.