Prototype lab graphic glitch

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
When the prototype lab becomes damaged enough for one of it's display panel to break there is a big black square where there should be some damage effect like smoke, electricity, poping glass, or scrambled screen. This seems to happen with any kind of nvidia card.

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    The black square happens when the game tries to load a shader that was unable to compile correctly.

This should not be happening. There are three possible reasons you are seeing it now.

1. The shader code you have installed has been corrupted some how.
    2. The cached shader is some how damaged.
    3. ???

The first, you will need to remove <install dir>/ns2/shaders then verify your image cache. steam will then give you the right shaders
    The second, you will need to delete your shader cache. this is is %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/cache ( linux ~/.local/Natural Selection 2/cache)

If neither of those work, It would be awesome to see a log and/or tech support zip. IT would also be a good idea to try it with mods off and see if that fixes it in case the server you were on uses the custom pink hello kitty screens mod for the protolab. Note, I am pretty sure that this mod does not exist much to my wife's general sadness
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Could you please go to %appdata% natural selection 2 folder, and use the techsupport.exe and get us the zip that comes with? I run an nvidia card and am not currently getting this issue (but i have in the past!) there might be a key in there that unlocks the secret to big black square technology!