A frank NS2WC discussion

Comments

• RioSRioS Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22652Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm agree about transparency. Its a community sponsored event, admins should be more aware about community feedback.

I know schedule is tight but quarter finals we schedule is just terrible. It should be 1 week earlier or 1 week later but not between Christmas and new year.

I don't understand why rosters are fixed till competition hasn't started neither.

It could be good too to have some information about qualifiers groups. How they are built ? When they'll be announced ? Which format ?

I imagine this event is a lot of job, but you guys propose for it and ask the community to invest in it. So please be transparent and try to make that even what it should be.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    So many posts in a day...

#freeTheWholeCommunity

Legendary Snails aren't even concerned by the "****" rules. However, I agree with almost everything said above, especially regarding roster changes until WEDNESDAY (let's give some more time to teams to setup could be more reasonable ?).

"Community-made event" : when I first heard of this event, I imagined some kind of multiple posts asking the community to provide splashscreens, qualifiers format discussions (yes, I still don't like this "BO3/5/7/9 formats", find these unfair on NS2), LAN event content discussions etc...

I even think it might be easier for organizers to do so... Less art works, good feedbacks from experienced competitive players to get the most fair matches NS2 have never seen, less failness, more professional looking, involving more community members. Above all : making the community live with NS2WC ?

However, I still love the fact there ARE organizers for such an event and respect them a lot for that, for their job & free-time usage.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    Well, Godar have the fourth seed, whilst Titus has the second seed, so that wouldn't actually be the wrong way to set up the groups, herakl3s. It would have to be done according to seedings though. It should be something like the following:

Top half of bracket:
    Group 1
    1st seed (Legendary Snails)
    8th seed (BlueBabblerSquad? Don't know if they are participating)
    9th seed (Singularity? Don't know if they are participating)
    16th seed
    17th seed
    24th seed
    25th seed

Group 4
    4th seed (Godar)
    5th seed (Quactus -- I assume they will get Quaxy's fifth seed from nsl s3)
    12th seed
    13th seed
    20th seed
    21st seed
    28th seed

Bottom half of bracket:
    Group 2
    2nd seed (Titus Gaming)
    7th seed (RadicaL? Don't know if they are participating)
    10th seed
    15th seed
    18th seed
    23rd seed
    26th seed

Group 3
    3rd seed (Saunamen)
    6th seed (Priori? Don't know if they are participating)
    11th seed
    14th seed
    19th seed
    22nd seed
    27th seed

There will be a lot of teams who don't have a seeding from nsl season 3, though, so those may be randomized into groups unless the admins choose to manually assign seedings to them.

While there has been some permanent damage done by the administration, and I hope they extend signups until wednesday as I previously suggested, I feel very relieved that some of the troublesome rules have been been modified. If this change in policy can usher in a new era of transparency and respect for community feedback on rules, we may very well have an entertaining tournament on our hands. With the "top 4" teams looking a bit shaky in practice lately, and several wildcard teams challenging -- including Quactus, Imagine, the Australian team and a potential new American team -- we might see some surprisingly closely fought matches, and possibly even upsets. At this point, no-one is guaranteed a trip to Cologne.

Given that some of the unseeded teams are likely going to outperform the seeded teams from division 1, it might make more sense to use the same format for drawing groups as UEFA does for drawing groups for the European Football Championship. Read "Final draw": ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Qualified_teams ). In that case unseeded teams would have to be manually placed into "pots" according to their predicted performance level.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Wait, the NSL maps weren't used on live events? It can't be because of spectators, because there's always been a mod to restore the visuals for spectators...
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    Yeah, but organizers (Hugh) feared crashes even if it has never happened because of NSL_maps.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    No significant mods were allowed at either of the events I attended; only very minor mods such as custom crosshairs. It wasn't a big problem, but it was a bit annoying.

Update your signature, Tane, you backstabbing bast.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    fanatic wrote: »
    Update your signature, Tane, you backstabbing bast.

I laughed heartily.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    would anyone else find it amusing if he actually did cheat in scrim/matches? i'm not saying that he did, just that there isn't 100% proof that he didn't, so it's still possible (no matter how unlikely) and would be hilarious after all of these threads :3
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im glad its slowly getting a long.

but @ironhorse and everyone else.
    yes, it is actually good to not use chat but a topic. Ill repeat it once more. Its a community event, community sponsored, so the entire community should have the ability to be totally informed.
    Forums are guest access and allow just that. So it wasnt just a last resort of fana to post, it was the best choice to begin with.

I do believe posting info for this event by the ns2wc admins, starting topics like these, should have been mandatory.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    @DC_Darkling - I agree 100%.

edit: I had something to add, but realized the only thing that would accomplish is add drama, so I deleted it :DD
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It would appear a lot of the issues are either resolved, or being talked about.

But as far as the whole Eissgate controversy is concerned, I can see the situation from both sides. Rules are rules and the organizers are of the mindset that they should be enforced as-is, which is commendable, because what is the point of having a standard if you're going to circumvent it anyways? (e.g. it's like telling students to write a 5-7 page paper, but yelling at students who only write 5 pages.)

Conversely, however, as other people have already pointed out in this thread (and others), Eiss has a pristine community record. He is well-liked by all—fans, teammates, and opponents alike. I'm not going to get into a "he-cheats/he-doesn't-cheat" debate, as that would go nowhere (as it is already in this thread). Instead, I would implore the organizers to rethink this: what is wrong with evaluating each instance independently? Of course there are rules to uphold, but what, exactly, is lost/at stake by examining controversial issues on a case-by-case basis, and deciding to overrule the rules themselves?

Integrity? Respect?

Call me crazy, but I don't think either would diminish to any noticable degree (if at all) if the Eiss ban was lifted.

If the ban is upheld, however, what will be gained? A few pats on the back for upholding a rule that—as many have pointed out already—isn't nearly as tyrannically pursued by other entities overseeing much BIGGER eSports competitions? The NS2 community is small as it is, and a great majority of them (fans of Eiss) are being alienated by this decision. This tournament has been billed as "By the Community, For the Community," though in that same breath, the community's voice is being ignored.

These are simply two sides of the same coin. If the ban is reversed, I can guarantee, no one will think any less of you—the organizers—or the tournament itself. If the ban is kept, though... however successful this championship pans out to be, it will still have this cloud hanging over its preliminary stages. And for what, really?

As Eiss has said himself, just require him to stream all his games. That should be sufficient enough. In fact, he'd probably get more viewers than the shoutcast stream itself.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Soz, good points well made, but I'd also remind you that eiss didn't break any rules of the ns2wc. It hasn't even begun and at the time this kicked off he hadn't even signed up to any rules. So presumably anyone who has ever received a vac ban should also be excluded? How far back in time should that go?

There is no defensible basis for eiss's exclusion.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    but I'd also remind you that eiss didn't break any rules of the ns2wc.
    True! It would appear that their stentorian approach to this ruling is to put on some sort of guise that this is a professional, no-nonsense tournament... when in reality, it's really no different than the previous ones we've had.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Gliss wrote: »
    The initial threat of the roster lock rule to prevent the formation of said team is beyond shameful and completely unsportsmanlike. I will not be participating in this event as a result. I have no desire to devote my time to people that are willing to create senseless rules and maliciously enforce them to deny competition.

That's really the sensational nonsense that's so offputting from this community. The admins were ready to allow the team to be created and it was the team who fell apart, not the rules forcing them to. You should blame your own players for that.

And then to accuse the admins of maliciously enforcing rules to deny competition is the biggest asshat insult you can possibly muster.
    I've heard from a member of BVB and admins. From how I understand it the rules were initially enforced but then, like every time people have problems with the rules, they were discussed in private and changed to benefit the players who were being hurt by the rules. Then BVB didn't want to play together anymore, despite having rules amended in their favor.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2013
    The rules were amended once in this thread and it was not a real amendment, as it still affected one of our players. Finally, last night they were amended to remove the restriction from all of our players - after telling us that they had unanimously ruled against us, after blatantly ignoring our requests, and most importantly after our players had already begun practicing with other teams. This gave us a 24 hour time window to re-gather our players, and begin practicing.
    This weekend was the only 3-4 days I had free to practice due to the poor timing schedule of the qualifiers, so essentially if we were to reform the team I would be going into it with 2 scrims worth of rust removed (that was all the games we were able to play before the ruling was dropped on us).

All that aside, my point was that enforcing that rule initially is just inane. There's no reason to not look at the rules, re-assess the situation, and understand that the only reason to enforce that rule is merely to deny competition. It was said in direct response to pulling players from their team to form BVB. What more is there to understand?
    They were dumb rules, I agree. That's why they were also changed when they became a problem. They definitely weren't enforced to advantage Titus as you are insinuating.

You posted two out of context messages which, assuming they're even accurate, don't demonstrate any kind of favoritism. They show an adherence to rules (albeit bad rules) in what seems like an initial response -- not the definitive answer. It's pretty obvious that the rules were not written to shutdown BVB, but BVB got snagged by them after the fact. Then the players appealed and within a couple days the rules were amended in favor of BVB. Now BVB doesn't want to play. Nothing is stopping you guys from playing except for yourselves.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    GORGEous wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that the rules were not written to shutdown BVB, but BVB got snagged by them after the fact.

Or were they?

/tinfoil hat
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    casan0vax wrote: »
    As Eiss has said himself, just require him to stream all his games. That should be sufficient enough. In fact, he'd probably get more viewers than the shoutcast stream itself.

100% agree. I would watch his FP stream over the shoutcast stream anyday. Totally agree on all your points as well.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, they've posted the brackets. Here they are: http://www.ns2wc.com/?page_id=2076
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes. Yes yes yes. Yes.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    You say he's not allowed to play during qualifying matches due to a chance of him actually cheating, which is understandable. However, the community and Eissfeldt have suggested/offered to stream all of his qualifying matches, which counters your argument on why he shouldn't be allowed to play those matches. A large amount of players, spectators & other community members were against this pathetic decision of yours of not allow him to play, you can't ignore what made this all possible, the community.

You're taking this VAC ban way too seriously.

EDIT: Didn't notice Reddogs post before I finished mine.

#2:
    Bellicose wrote: »
    Can't say I'm not surprised this happened. Now the community can collectively pull up their panties and move on with gaming...
    I love how you're all upset now that YOU didn't get what you wanted.
    Bugger off.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow