New Alien Vision

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    i....this is ridiculous. the only people who like/don't mind are those who just don't use it or argue about dark rooms (the whole 2 seconds). what is the point of alien vision if no one uses it? meh, I could ask that about many such 'features'...

it seems like the new alien regular vision is just a better version of the new alien vision (better, but not great)...

when I attack a marine around structures (even if it were unpowered and dark, I'd get just as lost as the marine. he'd be trying to see in the dark and I'd be trying to look away from the retina-burning AV.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    @hugh
    @uwe

Come on guys give us something here. New av is garbage, can we have the option to revert back?

At least a reason why you changed it?

Why do you think you can demand a reason? Do you work for UWE? Do you have shares in the company? They make the choices and I don't see why they need to explain it. If your copy of the game wasn't working then I'd understand you demanding a fix but come on, do you really think they should listen to some guy on a forum calling a feature of their game "garbage" in a totally non-constructive manner?

we can demand a reason because they literally treat us as playtesters. they modified the original reinforced AV within 24 hours of its release because it was even worse than it is now. we would like a reason because without one it feels like an arbitrary change against the express wishes of a good portion of the playerbase, including the official playtesters.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited November 2013
    ^ & most of us were alpha/beta or should I say "are alpha/beta" based on release issues.

18 pages no UWE comments...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    STOP POSTING THIS.

Many people have posted this before so try the other topics instead of making your own.
    I suggest this thread be locked.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    STOP POSTING THIS.

Many people have posted this before so try the other topics instead of making your own.
    I suggest this thread be locked.

this is literally the original thread on this topic...
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Sewlek wrote: »
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)

This is great news and I think will make a lot happy! I always loved the minimal vision but I also see why players like the old full one as well.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)

Just for clarity, the minimal alien vision option is Huze's minimal alien vision which goes 'greyscale' automatically in dark rooms? If so, then you, sir, are a wonderful human being :)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    It happened! They do exist! And they care!!!!
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »

Just for clarity, the minimal alien vision option is Huze's minimal alien vision which goes 'greyscale' automatically in dark rooms? If so, then you, sir, are a wonderful human being :)

+1 lets hope its this.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members

Sweet!!!

Sounds like this means minimal will get rid of the outline when AV is off (so it's just like Marine vision) - If so I will be ecstatic. I still constantly lose track of Marines when up close thanks to that stupid outline. (Especially when near any structures)

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Great news. Build 261 gonna be so awesome. =D>
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Sewlek, there is no need for an alien vision that would please EVERY player. Just an AV that does not hurt, ask a person who actually knows what color contrast is, and let him do it. Or better yet, incorporate that "blue/orange" mod, or the "yellow/white" mod I saw when playing on other servers. Almost every other alternative was better. Just don't use that orange-white atrocity that induces physical pain upon your eyeballs.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo wrote: »

Sweet!!!

Sounds like this means minimal will get rid of the outline when AV is off (so it's just like Marine vision) - If so I will be ecstatic. I still constantly lose track of Marines when up close thanks to that stupid outline. (Especially when near any structures)

For me it's the complete opposite, the outline is what makes the default vision playable for me. Disabling that should be a separate option.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    Zek wrote: »
    complete opposite, the outline is what makes the default vision playable for me. Disabling that should be a separate option.

thats why you can choose now
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    complete opposite, the outline is what makes the default vision playable for me. Disabling that should be a separate option.

I'm confused. Is it just going to be the same exact thing, just an option to have the glows disabled on normal vision?
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013

So for now when you push f with minimal, what happens? I'm a little confused. And when you say av mods wont break does that mean we can use them on any server now? Thanks
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    then new minimal vision will have no effect when disable, and when you press F the geometry is outlined and enemies highlighted, but not as eye bleeding as the full vision
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

For those who are not yet familiar with Minimal Alien Vision.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Difference is with that minimal alien vision mod there is no off mode. Good to hear the official will.
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    then new minimal vision will have no effect when disable, and when you press F the geometry is outlined and enemies highlighted, but not as eye bleeding as the full vision

I love you
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013

I suppose that's better than nothing, it seems like just the opposite extreme though. The yellow-and-white alien vision was presumably introduced to discourage players from enabling it all the time. If the decision now is that enabling it all the time is fine, we may as well make the standard alien vision more functional.

My perfect world scenario is a checkbox for the non-alien-vision highlights, and a separate dropdown with a few nice color options for alien vision.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013

I've actually gotten used to the new vision, so for the few people who will continue using it, can you make it slightly darker, and look at the vision-shaded marines to make them "cooler" somehow? How they render on the new vision is kind of ugly IMO. I actually prefer the green monochrome version which was the vision before, but if you must keep this :-S...
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Sewlek you just made my day. I have waited months for Huze's AV mod to be put into the game. Thank you
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Sewlek you just made my day. I have waited months for Huze's AV mod to be put into the game. Thank you

...Me too.. but i don't think that's what's going on?? right?..

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it just sounds just like its what we have now, but with the option of disabling the typical orange outlines during normal vision?? (i.e. what we had pre reinforced [it also will work horribly for the lerk, who has lost the marine highlighting when spiking - which isn't a problem when they are always outlined])
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @sewlek, can you confirm that it's huze's av mod that you're incorporating?
    You'll make a lot of friends with that news...
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Better yet, can we see screenshots?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just put this one back in! :D

XJwdfPs.jpg
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alien vision as it is now is useless to me, I can barely track anything in that mass of orange. Plus the fact that emergency lighting turns on so quickly nowadays means there is never any use for it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @ritualsacrifice
    With every entity orange, (and apparently doorjams in that pic) including teamates?
    No thanks.. we can surely do better ;)