Blocking

2»

Comments

• MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited November 2013
    Drinking whisky is my favourite passtime :D

(hint: not a grammar mistake)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Oh I so do love staring in the eyes of a burning, energyless ten-ton-killer rhino as he charges into me at full speed, only to simply halt and stand there while my teammates riddle him with bullets.

Maybe not give Onos uber-pushback powers, (might be tricky) but instead make Charge knock marines down? (For a much shorter duration than stomp, only long enough for the Onos to move past) Too OP maybe?

better idea. assign weights to the various entities. and have all collisions react semi realistically. so the onos slows down, and the marine goes flying. perfectly elastic collisions ftw. then allow for grenade jumping, so we can revert the gorge tunnel placement fixes. you want up, rocket jump you nub. oh, the rj is hard to time and perform? l2p.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always enjoyed Halo's(yes, shoot me.) character physics.

For example, players can push each other, players can be moved by large objects, and players can ride on top of each other.

What this means is that, a big gorilla can push through a bunch of players just fine, and maybe even have something riding on top of it.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited November 2013
    I guess these differing views are just the difference in taste between gamey-game people and immersion people.

Immersion gamers want the game to feel, well, immersive. The internal logic should 'feel' sufficiently in line with what they'd expect from being in that world. E.g. an Onos has great damage because it is big and strong. Therefore it should win in a contest of weight and muscle with a Marine. Consequently it should push a Marine out of the way no issues.

Gamey-game people see blocking an Onos with your body as being an interesting and useful part of the overall game (e.g. exploiting the internal logic that objects cannot move through each other, cannot push each other, etc). It may not be 'realistic' but it makes the competition and challenge of the game's contest more interesting. Unintended applications of internal game logic often evoke a lot of loyalty from players. They are part of the game's culture and even 'pride.'
    I guess these differing views are just the difference in taste between gamey-game people and immersion people.

Immersion gamers want the game to feel, well, immersive. The internal logic should 'feel' sufficiently in line with what they'd expect from being in that world. E.g. an Onos has great damage because it is big and strong. Therefore it should win in a contest of weight and muscle with a Marine. Consequently it should push a Marine out of the way no issues.

Gamey-game people see blocking an Onos with your body as being an interesting and useful part of the overall game (e.g. exploiting the internal logic that objects cannot move through each other, cannot push each other, etc). It may not be 'realistic' but it makes the competition and challenge of the game's contest more interesting. Unintended applications of internal game logic often evoke a lot of loyalty from players. They are part of the game's culture and even 'pride.'

where does my suggestion fit? it would be both immersive, as in the semireal application of the conservation of momentum. and completely gamey, as in the grenades don't blow your feet off. also. like a team of marines in a line would be able to stop an onos in it's tracks. and a skulk should be able to walljump off a marine, imparting crap momentum to itself but also crap momentum to the other guy. and how hilarious would it be to see an onos throw a guy 30 feet?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Finally clicked agree now that somebody else has. I'm a follower, not a leader :D

Anyway, you should have probably specified 'fade blocking' in the title of your post, to prevent people from harping on about onoses.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Some NS2 collision trivia that I didn't notice anyone saying. Remeber spotting this on forums back in beta, might not be accurate:

NS2 character collision models are rounded. AFAIK all non-fade aliens have a ball-shaped collision model. Marines and fades have cylinders that have half-balls as bottom and top. This makes for smooth transitioning over terrain and for the "sliding collisions" we encounter. This is what makes body-blocking fades so difficult.

HL1 and older Quakes had (again AFAIK) actual boxy collision boxes, which made for the fade body-blocking we had back in NS1. The boxy collision boxes also made for jerkier transitions and animations from elevations to next, less smoot movement around and over terrain and possibly to "why can't I move through here" moments.

Ps. skulk collision box is wider than marine collision cylinder -> some (IMO) badly designed extractors allow marines to go around them, but skulks get stuck.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2013
    Squirreli_ wrote: »
    HL1 and older Quakes had (again AFAIK) actual boxy collision boxes, which made for the fade body-blocking we had back in NS1. The boxy collision boxes also made for jerkier transitions and animations from elevations to next, less smoot movement around and over terrain and possibly to "why can't I move through here" moments.

I have had no shortage of those moments in NS2. Not to mention the "smoother" transitions (which still does not mean shit if you lose all your momentum) around terrain is more than counterbalanced by the myriad amount of aesthetic crap that litters the maps and gets in the way of speedy movement. I stand by the idea that for a melee oriented game NS2s collision is unacceptable.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I sometimes feel mean when i block an onoses path of escape simply because im a quater way in the middle of the hallway he wants to go through.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just a quick follow-up: Build 261 changelog shows there now is a reworked player vs player collision system in the game!

unknownworlds.com/ns2/build-261-now-live-on-steam/

• DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Does this means skulks wont lose all their speed when colliding with a marine? I would be happy if you could wall jump off a marine as well ;)
    Draconis wrote: »
    Does this means skulks wont lose all their speed when colliding with a marine? I would be happy if you could wall jump off a marine as well ;)

and id be happy if the marine got shoved by the wall jump