OST usage?

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
I'm a freelance visual effects artist and I was wondering if it would be possible (ie. legal) for me to play some of the music from the OST in my reel.

Comments

• RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm wondering the same thing; what are the "right" given/transfered by the OST ? Pure self-listen only ? Non-commercial ? Non-commercial as long as its in UWE interest (I.e. advertising/promoting the game or its derivate) ?
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    Funny thing is, they don't even use the soundtrack in the actual game that much.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Funny thing is, they don't even use the soundtrack in the actual game that much.

Which is a pitty really. They should have added a radio in one of the crew quarters on Descent playing Rust & Steam, Bloody brilliant track! On the other hand it's understandable that they are so minimalistic with the use of the great OST, it gets in the way of gameplay after all.

I'm just very happy that NS2 got all these great tracks that imo really flesh out the lore and universe of NS2 (listen closely to Origin of the Kharaa and you'll feel different playing them afterwards).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm pretty certain as long as you acknowledge UWE's copyright of the audio in your showreel you'll be fine. You'll not be using an entire track anyway. Speaking of which.... Don't forget to keep your VFX showreel at around 1-2 mins. Recruiters hate 3min+ reels and it'll force you to only include your best work.

<- Works in VFX as well.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Which country do you live in? I think in germany it's (borderline) illegal.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Which country do you live in? I think in germany it's (borderline) illegal.

In Germany I believe this depends on wether you as the copyright holding artist are a member of GEMA (german oragnisation for copyright law). If you are, they are a pain in the butt and will certainly censor everything they find (and they find most stuff) within a week. At least that's how I thought it works...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    As long as you state it's not your's, and that you don't make any money using someone else's stuff, it's usually ok.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This may not directly apply to your situation, but have a read: http://unknownworlds.com/video-policy/
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    This may not directly apply to your situation, but have a read: http://unknownworlds.com/video-policy/

Oh that's good! Yea I don't think that directly applies to me, but with that in mind it's not a huge leap of faith to figure out what their stance is on the soundtrack.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, pretty much what has been mentioned here already. We are ok with the music being used if it is not for commercial use, and just for a showreel, and as long as the source of the music is acknowledged somewhere.
    Yes, pretty much what has been mentioned here already. We are ok with the music being used if it is not for commercial use, and just for a showreel, and as long as the source of the music is acknowledged somewhere.

Awesome! Thanks guys!
    Just in case anybody's curious...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    I just noticed that the round start ambient music doesn't play anymore.