List of improvements needed before NS2 World Champs

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I'm curious about the replay functionality. It does seem like an absolute necessity for comp play - and unless the in-game recording system has changed since ENSL S2, it was dodgy at best. It seems to me that the best place for any replay recording to take place would be at the server level, as the server coordinates every player's actions: what if the server saved every input that happened every tick, kind of like a log file, which could be then downloaded and re-played in the NS2 client in spectator mode? This would be much more useful than 12 different POV recordings...
    While I doubt this will happen, this would be similar to HLTV demos in NS1. And yes, it would be more useful than what we have, which in practice is nothing.

Next step is also being able to "market" the game and teams.

I don't know why (but i have an idea) but one frag video is always a good advertising vector.

• blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    I'm asking for a replay system for more than a year, that's a feature i would actually donate for. Instead of splashing hive animations..

But it won't come, too much work needed and not important to UWE.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited October 2013
    blind wrote: »
    I'm asking for a replay system for more than a year, that's a feature i would actually donate for. Instead of splashing hive animations..

Do you believe it's too much work or a technical impossibility?

I still believe a good replay system could've saved UWE from massive headaches and helped the game in tremendous ways:

The game is inaccessible?

Fine, we can actually create proper, purposeful and well edited video tutorials with demo system.

The game is hard to balance?

Fine, we can play and rewind rounds from multiple viewpoints to understand what exactly happens during a round, what makes a difference between a good and a bad round and so on.

Retaining players is hard and advertising the game to new players takes a lot of work?

Fine, the high quality community generated content both advertises the game and massively helps retaining the existing community. We can have people talking about the depth of the gameplay, we can have people writing actual deep match reports, we can have frag movies that make people want to run NS2 and try to replicate their favourite frags, we can have people finding their favourite comp players and teams with unique style and so on.

---

I don't know how UWE plans to handle NS2 in the future and I don't know if a replay system at this point is going to spark things up anymore, but I believe it's one of the few things that have any kind of possibility to make a difference if UWE wants to see NS2 survive or thrive in the longer run.

Obviously there's not much to be done if the system is an impossibility, but 'too much work' sounds like a very debatable thing considering how much time, effort and money UWE has put into other things that could be helped with the system.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Let's be realistic here, this isn't a thread trying to tell UWE what to do, or a demand for anything. If any one of these things gets worked on, that's a proper bonus. What I want to do is try to cement an idea of what may be possible, to gauge the will of UWE to work in any of these areas, and to provide a place for feedback in both directions about goals and progress.

Look, even if it's ONLY keybindings that is changed in any way before March, that will be a step in the right direction and something to aim for. We'd all LOVE a replay system that works nicely, and of course any performance improvements to make the game play better, but beggars can't be choosers.

I've contacted UWE, we shall see what, if anything happens. You don't ask, you don't get: don't knock me for at least trying ;)
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    lower that bar, baby I"m ready to limbo
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I wonder if it could be implemented as a mod.
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    I want more fan art competitions.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mouse wrote: »

I wonder if it could be implemented as a mod.

Way back in beta there was this guy called @Player on the forums who was in the progress of making a demo system. Same guy who made Overmind, the only way server operators could have any admin control of their own server way back when. Unfortunately he bailed on the project(s) as the beta never got any better.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It is likely that some degree of improvement will be made to competitive aspects of the game before the NS2WC, should it go ahead. This thread would likely prove useful in allowing us to prioritise those improvements. Please continue it, it will be read.

However, the number of changes that can be made before the qualifier rounds begin is realistically very small. Changes will mainly affect the finals series in Cologne, as there is a much greater lead time on them than the qualifiers.

Of course, the pressing and immediate concern is making the remaining $7,000 happen! http://www.gofundme.com/ns2worldchampionship
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I want more fan art competitions.

Despite overwhelming love for fan art competitions among viewers and the NS2 community, there will be a ban on them during the NS2WC. The excitement and love they induced in competitive players was too much, and distracted them from enjoying the actual NS2 play. I'm not sure I can handle another forum outpouring of love for fan art competitions. The same goes for face-painting.

On camera wrestling will, however, still be permitted.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    You can currently bypass the consistency check with ease.. most people dont realize it or dont care to abuse it, but its not nearly what it could/should be... However its not probably worth trying to fix as its slightly limited with what you can accomplish...

Replay support would be massive, do you not see what kind of interest Dota2 games can pull? Being able to join up to any inprogress game and just watch, either from a directed POV or just free looking around is amazing.. OFC that does require significant infrastructure to support I imagine, but even some basic HLTV recording would be an improvement.
    Locklear wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Replays: due to the number of people who stream the game these days, someone is bound to record that moment you want replayed. And it wouldn't really be possible to implement into the game/would require a LOT of work.

If you really believe that you don't realize the difference between the quality possible in a good demo system compared to 3500kb/s live stream.

There are so many moments where I have gotten some decent frags and unable to have them recorded because recording live -> low performance and it's in poor quality compared to what could be achieved with HL demo system.

Plus the points Dragon made, and also check out www.gamereplays.org.

The quality in this video: http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/c/2111922 (pub frags and some comp fade at the end in combat mod - nothing worth noting as a frag video)

Is very terrible encoding and resolution wise to what could be done with the HL1 demo system..

http://www.ensl.org/files/videos/AtomicNS.mp4

^ much better :3

@Hugh
    What would be a realistic price to get the demo system, like HLTV or DOTA 2's system, outsourced? Can we do a kick starter-ish thing for it? We shouldn't have to pay for already promised features, but if it gets it done I would be willing.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    @Hugh
    what about stuff like SamusDroid mod with bug fixes. (yeah bug fixes creat new bugs, but it seems he got it working quit fast with the current version without creating new bugs).
    even small bug fixes would help. We got bugs in ns2 since Beta. Like i already posted in another thread, its the little thinks which add up after time.
    That nanoshield bug for commanders was like one of the most annoying things and just got recently fixed, after 2 years. 2 years .....

And what about hotkey system? Why can people create mods for everything, but UWE doesnt copy them or take them into the game ...

For example:

- lowlight mod from mendasp as option in the menu (improvement for many casual gamers)
    - fast load menu mod (option in the menu and that would take rly no time to add)
    - ultra low detail mod (yeah ppl say its not improving much, but its still helping some players and PCs specs e.g. swalk)
    - ns2 mod (why not add tournament mode into the game to ready, instead of the 20 seconds vote system to start ... you already got shown how to do it, why not add it?!)
    - pause system from dragon
    - hotkey mod

and i didnt check mods for quit some time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Replays: due to the number of people who stream the game these days, someone is bound to record that moment you want replayed. And it wouldn't really be possible to implement into the game/would require a LOT of work.

If you had experience with quake 3/live's demo system + wolfcam you'd know how much it sucks not to have one.

EDIT: It also makes bug repros much easier as you just demo every game then go to where the bug happened and narrow down the causes.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Hugh Thanks for dropping in and responding, it's very much appreciated.
    I recognise that the list at the top of this thread is a huge amount of work and I don't think anyone here thinks it would be reasonable to expect all of that. What this thread wad intended for was to refocus discussion about the most critical things so that you guys can see which topic is most important to the comp community. I've deliberately not tried to guide discussions for a while as there are better and more experienced players than me whose opinions frankly matter more than mine. What these guys seem to be saying is that keybindings and bug fixes that have already been fixed in mods should be added officially, and that demos ala hltv are the most important to secure ongoing success from these champs.

I encourage everyone reading this thread to keep things positive. We are where we are now, there is limited time until the live finals, and this is a fantastic opportunity to make ns2 even better.
    Let's make the most of this!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Bacillus wrote: »
    In all seriousness xDragon's post has 24 agrees and 2 awesomes at this moment. It has two disagrees, both from strongly UWE related posters (Former playtester lead and you). Long story short there's a pretty big gap between what the community thinks and what the UWE shows to the outside. I highly doubt any of this is going to end well if you're sticking to the present course.
    It's not former playtester lead, it's current.

But I like the fact that we can see those votes, it really shows why the game is in the state it is right now :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    www.gamereplays.org is a good example of why replays are good things.

Besides that, any engine improvement to the limitation of update rates and interpolation is very welcome :3
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2013
    Anticheat: Not necessary, if someone is hacking, it's pretty easy to find out by just watching in spec for a minute or two, plus the super anal consistency checking means nothing will pass it, so no chance of running custom mods.

-snip-

Weird, could have sworn that was the goal of using lua for the engine... which is the sole responsibility holder in the game performing so badly that the entire population (mostly competitive players) left the game shortly after launch

edit: Not intended to be an attack, it's just I can't even use custom alien vision anymore which I used because I use to get dizzy so having the map greyscale with everything one solid color helped make everything clear.. and the whole point of using this kind of engine was to make modding easier! (also performance is my main problem with the game, since I enjoy playing in native resolution and max field of view for motion sickness reasons) which in the end backfires on me as it causes degrading performance to the point where I can't even look at the game in a competitive state because I'm handicapping myself and my actual skill level (which is quite high/brag)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2013
    Also I find it interesting how a dev team which is much more involved with their game/community -even if everyone points out all the issues/mistakes and this and that- compared to valve/hpe which are currently running CSGO which is in a terrible state, I mean non-stop the competitive players list everything wrong with csgo and what is literally needed for the game to improve to the point where both 1.6 and source players can combine and enjoy the game, I try so hard to enjoy it but all of its flaws and terrible additions just make me tear

And only a few complain there, valve does nothing, their game updates are atrocious and only doing things that give them revenue, they've ignored issues since the games private beta stages (nov 2011) which I was apart of and listed tons of issues still not fixed to this date.. and this is a billion dollar corp we're talking about, with tons of developers and tons of outside contractors (hidden path) who could probably work on the game night and day

worst part is, most of the fucking issues derive from server side console commands and terrible graphic effects/additions, the rest is simple shit like recoil patterns or screen shakes

comparing to uwe which actually replies to the forums, changes some things/fixes lots of issues and all that, and allows players-devs (mainly sewlek/mappers) to communicate and help improve the state of the game -- yet are attacked so hardly.. weird but justified in a sense

///ontopic

Hope to see peoples problems/issues get sorted out before this tournament... not sure how the outcome will look, but we'll see!
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    From that list nothing will be done.

atm its mostly sewlek working on ns2 and wild guess, he trys to fix the PVE game.
    And when hes working on the balance he cant work on anything of that list, since hes the only dev left ;)!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    But I like the fact that we can see those votes, it really shows why the game is in the state it is right now :)

I like how you seem to be implying I, or any of the PTs have a big say in balancing the game. When in fact, our voices are on the lower end of the pole, below the Devs, below Sewlek, below the Map Testers and below the Balance Team.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yes but there is still a trusted group..... and you are one of them. People that would at events....
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2013
    Obraxis wrote: »

I like how you seem to be implying I, or any of the PTs have a big say in balancing the game. When in fact, our voices are on the lower end of the pole, below the Devs, below Sewlek, below the Map Testers and below the Balance Team.
    Didn't mention PTs at all :P

So, what's wrong with the post to click "Disagree"? I mean, I'd love for this tournament to happen, obviously, but you can't deny that the game has a lot of issues and is lacking features required for an esport to grow, and it's not like people haven't tried to help or suggested stuff...
    this game never supported esports on a developing level. everyone who says something diffrent is lying.
    otherwise the game would look diffrent and we wouldnt had so much useless features in it now.
    without mendasp and dragon helping with their mods, more teams would have left much earlier.

cant thank these guys enough what they did .... thinks which UWE could have done so "easy".

just look @ the jumping marin who is crouching in the air and gets pulled down.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Oh Mendasp. How little you know. Bless you child.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    Anticheat: Not necessary, if someone is hacking, it's pretty easy to find out by just watching in spec for a minute or two, plus the super anal consistency checking means nothing will pass it, so no chance of running custom mods.

-snip-

Weird, could have sworn that was the goal of using lua for the engine... which is the sole responsibility holder in the game performing so badly that the entire population (mostly competitive players) left the game shortly after launch

edit: Not intended to be an attack, it's just I can't even use custom alien vision anymore which I used because I use to get dizzy so having the map greyscale with everything one solid color helped make everything clear.. and the whole point of using this kind of engine was to make modding easier! (also performance is my main problem with the game, since I enjoy playing in native resolution and max field of view for motion sickness reasons) which in the end backfires on me as it causes degrading performance to the point where I can't even look at the game in a competitive state because I'm handicapping myself and my actual skill level (which is quite high/brag)

Blame hackers, cheaters, and other people who feel the need to abuse the system.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Nah. If you're going allow people to change anything and everything without giving half a seconds thought to anti cheat in any form (remember, it took quite a long time for even consistency check to make it in) I feel you're not exactly have a solid plan.
    Okay this is going off course a bit. I will update the top post when I get a chance to reflect the main (constructive on-topic) themes that are coming out of this thread.

The bottom line is this:
    • Network performance parameters (client moverate is 20?!) needs to be configurable, not hard coded.
    • Replay/HLTV system would be amazing for the live world champs. If there is ANY way of getting that into NS2, it'll really help to make the most of the WC finals but also have great knock-on effects for casting, and for people creating their own video/promo content. Got to be good for UWE. Plus it would surely be a feature for the next game on Spark, right? :)
    • Samusdroid's QOL fixes need to make it into vanilla ASAP!

@Hugh, @Sewlek is that a list that either of you could comment on?

Finally, a reminder to all: please keep this thread civil and productive. There have been a good number of very useful and helpful posts, so thank you to all who've taken the time to pass on their expertise and experience!
    edited November 2013
    Obraxis wrote: »

Oh Mendasp. How little you know. Bless you child.

If all issues are fixed next month then I'll gladly admit my horrible mistake and prejudice. The track record is not good. And you forgot to address the other part of the post.

Also Hugh is not a PT, he's PR, don't think "Disagree" without arguments is good image, but that's my opinion.