Intel and Nvidia Sponsor the NS2 World Championship - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Grissi had made a 20 pages statement in the beta on how to adjust the balance and the gameplay.
    A lot of people even made a mod of some of the changes, they could add with a mod.
    I think only 5% of these stuff got into the game, after sewlek took over.

Still 7000 $ is still a long way to go.

edit: sorry he made a 44 page essay about NS2 and balance.
    He even had mod servers running some of theses changes and testing it with pugs playing each other.
    A lot of players tryed to help grissi with his ideas. like fana and others.
    The thing I love about this community is that they are always striving to make the game better, but sometimes I just wish that people would realize theory crafting is just that theory. If you want real change you need to show examples of said changes and backup your thoughts
    sry @WasabiOne i cant resist.

and Grissi got ignored - the only person taking feedback into account is sewlek. hes the first ns2 developer who was asking comp gamers as well as casual players and even rookies about their ideas and stuff. But the sad think is, this process happened to late. Ns2 already lost a big amount of players (casual and competitive) and even the support is now reduced.

One more think. Its not the big thinks people are asking for .... its the little thinks like bug fixes even if they are rly rly small. Dont get how some bugs are still in this game after 2 years. Or little thinks like commander hotkeys and stuff, there are mods for it. But after 1 years still not into vanilla game.
    We got a fast load menu mod, but there is no option in vanilla game menu for something such simple like that.
    Or the low details mod. Even mendasp lowlights maps could have been added into the game as an option in the menu.
    But working on Badges is more important :D!!!

Back to the topic:
    If this Cup would happen, it would be awesome. At least you would get some teams to start playing again, myb you find a pcw (scrim for our US friends) to play again :D
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    this is great news. good luck reaching the goal!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @jucci
    .. has nothing to do with "speaking the truth".
    It has to do with a thread that is getting waayyy off topic and a user who was personally attacking other members of the community.

Case in point, and so that everyone can stay on topic (you know, the topic where we are celebrating two of the largest PC hardware manufacturers financially contributing to a small indie game competition that is community led just because they want to?) here is the thread that is attempting to spill over into this one:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132868/list-of-improvements-needed-before-ns2-world-champs#latest

Continue that topic over there, please, (a great thread, btw, TY @roobubba) where Hugh is currently addressing those speaking the truth..
    And keep this thread on topic.

/off-topic explanation

• JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I understand it is getting off topic. But the people that are speaking very blunt truely do care. They are in this thread because they want to support this game but cant due to there reasons stated many times. There would be far many more top level and mid/low level teams if UWE would listen to some people more. This game would could be closer to a more solid esport's game. And for any of the "pub" players who say we want teh game our way.... Stop that, most of us play pubs also. There is no dif between players minus the skill/understanding of the game. We are/where all pub playes. We should all support each other to get this to grwo. But the biggest thing is UWE needs to understand what makes a Esports game, not just the bling bling and fancy events like this. If the game is broken people wont stay. Enjoy my poop grammer and spelling :)

This will be my last message on this post IronHorse. :)
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited November 2013
    Pointless argument removed
  • petteyg359petteyg359 Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158595Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't give a crap about so-called "e-sports". "E-sports" is a pretty stupid idea IMHO. I just want another badge, so I donated.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    If this doesn't reach the goal on it's own merits, I really hope UWE doesn't pay the remainder; that would defeat the purpose of a community organised event.
    I know UWE is already paying $30 000, and I'm not bothered by that.

Getting $8000 from intel and $8000 from Nvidia counts as "on it's own merits" in my opinion, so I also have no problems from that and think it's great.

I personally don't care for this event though and would rather UWE spent zero dollars and zero hours thinking about it, but hey; I'm just a grumpy beta backer who's disappointed how the game turned out so far.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just think UWE is riding too high on this event and hyping it too much to let it die because the community can't hit the 30k goal in time. The added publicity of nvidia and Intel getting involved only increases their desire for it to happen. They've already pledged $30k to the project should the fundraiser succeed, I could certainly see them making up the difference if the community can't get there in time.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Pretty clever of them.

1. Spend a relatively small sum of money for marketing and to create customer goodwill.
    2. Get money back because the funding goal is not reached [unless UWE or some other sponsor (has UWE asked AMD?) jumps in, I don't see the community raising the rest in just 4 days]
    3. Free marketing!

SCNR 8->
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    Tane wrote: »
    ...for those baguette eaters.
    nice synonym ;)

• ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    6K to go, come on community, we can do this :D
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So this thing will not cost 30k anyway, when you don't even need to buy flight for those baguette eaters.

All the more prize money for the Finnish master race.

• ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Therius wrote: »
    So this thing will not cost 30k anyway, when you don't even need to buy flight for those baguette eaters.

All the more prize money for the Finnish master race.

I thought the Snails were French :P

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This is pretty awesome.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    While all the criticism is understandable... Seeing the counter at nearly 25K now, it would be pretty damn awesome if it were to succeed. So close to getting that sweet sweet badge. Gonna be exclusive as hell yo! And the tournament might be fun to watch as well. :D
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ive no idea what to fill in under 'routing number'.
    Anybody?
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I donated under the assumption that I'll be flown out to cast :D

Let's do this!
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Always liked Intel and Nvidia. B-)

We're gonna make this, it's going to be awesome! :)>-
    Spread about it to all your friends.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Ive no idea what to fill in under 'routing number'.
    Anybody?
    It's the routing number of your bank.
    But there's a problem with it. I wanted to donate, but it says routing numbers have to be 9 digits. This is news to me, since in Europe, or at least here in Germany, routing numbers only have 8 digits...
    Thus I can't contribute, same as with Ironhorses GoFundMe-Campaign. And I guess I'm not the only person that doesn't own a credit card. That's way more common in Europe than in the US.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    3del! wrote: »
    It's the routing number of your bank.
    But there's a problem with it. I wanted to donate, but it says routing numbers have to be 9 digits. This is news to me, since in Europe, or at least here in Germany, routing numbers only have 8 digits...
    Thus I can't contribute, same as with Ironhorses GoFundMe-Campaign. And I guess I'm not the only person that doesn't own a credit card. That's way more common in Europe than in the US.

I am very sure your bank or any convenience stores offer any of these(gift / virtual) fast and easy: http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/prepaid.aspx
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Imho the price tag is a little too high... If all 4 teams came from Australia, South America or the Moon I could understand. But how much is a flight from Finland, France or *gasp* Germany if you plan well ahead? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this succeed, but if the sum was lower, there could be more events + more often.

Edit: Reopen Onos badges - if only for that purpose.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    You can't really plan ahead, because you dont know who will win..
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    You can't really plan ahead, because you dont know who will win..

In theory, we don't know who will win, but anyone who has followed competitive NS2 knows that there are 4-5 teams that are much more talented than the others, and that those teams will most definitely be the ones playing in the finals
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    thats not the point. if you want to save money you have to book the plane tickets in advance. do you want to book the plane tickets of those teams in advance and take the risk that they dont win?
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    There's my contribution. Come on folks, tell everyone you know! We can do this!
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    edited November 2013
    Pointless argument removed
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Considering we're so close to Christmas I'm pretty damn impressed at how much has been raised. Awesome guys. :)