Return to Eclipse - Natural Selection 2

13»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    All hives are JP tempting. Pipe stay the doom hive. Sub-Sector the "too opened" one.

I actually feel like sub is the doom hive now. I seem to lose far more games from sub thatn from pipe.

Also, "Veil is just wrong" ist not a good argument.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Amb wrote: »
    feel free to prove me wrong.

You're wrong on most of those points.

These are the only 2 you got correct:

* removed a bunch of ladders
    * more ramps than the original

This is required for NS1 maps to help be converted and playable in NS2. Not exactly something new, people have been aware of this since Veil.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I play on some server where all know what to do. It ends up like flipping a coin. It's hammering on alien or on marine. But no team does a come back... ever.
    I've seen countless comebacks on Veil, though most involving a sneaky Gorge Tunnel (e.g. Topo) or Phase Gate (e.g. Cargo). Also System Waypoint / East Wing hold a lot of potential. The JP in hiverooms is a problem, but thats the same for Atrium or Flight Control in Summit.

Only on a 6vs6 game. Few people allow Ninjas to increase possibilities. But that doesn't make a rule in itself as public games are mostly 16 players. With proper players, it is hard to go unchecked.

Tunnel has been nerfed. Sometimes you can even drop it on the floor of an alley of a hive (Biodome Falls). It's weird as it takes more time to find a suitable spot than go to the location undetected.
    All hives are JP tempting. Pipe stay the doom hive. Sub-Sector the "too opened" one.
    I actually feel like sub is the doom hive now. I seem to lose far more games from sub thatn from pipe.

Also, "Veil is just wrong" is not a good argument.

They're both doom hives but differently.
    -Pipe it far away. You loose C12 the neared RTs are Nano and Cargo.
    -Sub-sector : the straight line to Overlook = sitting duck contest. Easy access from System Way pointing.

Wrong = Not suitable for NS2.

It doesn't make it bad. I simply suggest to add another tech point to get a real NS2 map. Veil did change a lot since the early version in NS1. Sieging Nano from Control was possible... So why stopping now ?
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Ive seen more long comeback infested games on veil than on any other map, like 60min types. 2hive aliens with marines turtling up, and yes theres been both sides winning on those rounds, always the team that decided to suck less. But hey, that's pub for you, you play with bad people and make the best of it. Doesn't mean the map is bad, it just forces different kind of gameplay than other maps. Don't see a point in changing it from what it is now, why not just make new maps so there's a bigger pool to play of from? Anyway, not judging Eclipse until i play it. :)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited November 2013
    Weldable points were on every official map

Where was the Weldable on eclipse? I may not have played it in 5 years but u can still close my eyes and see every turn... Darn you UWE I can remember every turn if every NS1 map but I get lost driving to the supermarket!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Weldable points were on every official map

Where was the Weldable on eclipse? I may not have played it in 5 years but u can still close my eyes and see every turn... Darn you UWE I can remember every turn if every NS1 map but I get lost driving to the supermarket!
    I played it yesterday, it had weldable vents
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only on a 6vs6 game. Few people allow Ninjas to increase possibilities. But that doesn't make a rule in itself as public games are mostly 16 players. With proper players, it is hard to go unchecked.
    Nope, I only play on 20+ servers.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I play on some server where all know what to do. It ends up like flipping a coin. It's hammering on alien or on marine. But no team does a come back... ever.
    I've seen countless comebacks on Veil, though most involving a sneaky Gorge Tunnel (e.g. Topo) or Phase Gate (e.g. Cargo). Also System Waypoint / East Wing hold a lot of potential. The JP in hiverooms is a problem, but thats the same for Atrium or Flight Control in Summit.

Tunnel has been nerfed. Sometimes you can even drop it on the floor of an alley of a hive (Biodome Falls). It's weird as it takes more time to find a suitable spot than go to the location undetected.

Also, "Veil is just wrong" is not a good argument.

They're both doom hives but differently.
    -Pipe it far away. You loose C12 the neared RTs are Nano and Cargo.
    -Sub-sector : the straight line to Overlook = sitting duck contest. Easy access from System Way pointing.

Wrong = Not suitable for NS2.

It doesn't make it bad. I simply suggest to add another tech point to get a real NS2 map. Veil did change a lot since the early version in NS1. Sieging Nano from Control was possible... So why stopping now ?

I think the single most important problem is system waypointing. If we could fix this, Sub would be fine.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    joshhh wrote: »
    "Coming end of 2013"
    aka
    Tuesday December 31st @11:59PM

Anyway, the map plays surprisingly well. :D Can't wait for official release.

Ya?

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eclipse had a weldable vent right past station access alpha RT, underneath the platform.

And the amount of fail about veil is laughable, people will always blame its problems on the lack of the 5th tech point, even tho the map plays better than pretty much any other map now, aside from summit (ofc).
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Each map has a challenge or two to overcome for both sides, if they were all the same it would be boring. I'm looking forward to a new map.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    Eclipse had a weldable vent right past station access alpha RT, underneath the platform.

And the amount of fail about veil is laughable, people will always blame its problems on the lack of the 5th tech point, even tho the map plays better than pretty much any other map now, aside from summit (ofc).

There was also a weldable vent in CC.

Just nit-picking here.

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2013

Which might simply be because it is more likely to start in Sub than in the other Hives. The spawns are pretty biased in that regard.
    When I look at NS2 Stats (yeah, not the best source, but pretty much all we got), then there are over 2000 matches counted where Sub was the start and just about 1000 for each of the other respective locations.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maps with fixed spawn points are boring, random = fun.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @muckymcfly thing is, eclipse (and all of ns1's maps) Was designed to be random for aliens, fixed for rines. Balanced for rines was they could chuck a base wherever they friggin wanted. Some changes to the map would be required to be made to the map to make it balanced to have all random everywhere. And besides, i find veil to be the most fun map. it has a fixed spawn.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Not to be a total tease, but...
    This map is playing awesomely in our internal games. Loving it!

And it's not just the great (improved) layout or the preserved open design, but the FPS is also the same or better than I get on other currently released maps, in most areas.
    <:-P
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    @Ironhorse, you sir, are a dick. %-(
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »

And it's not just not just a great (improved) layout or the preserved open design, but the FPS is also the same or better than I get on other currently released maps, in most areas.

He lies. It's terrible. Terribly awesome.
    I can't wait for it.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can only hope the eclipse update launches before the "holday season" fully ramps up.

Releasing around that time is too chaotic. Do not have time to usually play games then... would rather have it before!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Comprox wrote: »

And it's not just not just a great (improved) layout or the preserved open design, but the FPS is also the same or better than I get on other currently released maps, in most areas.

He lies. It's terrible. Terribly awesome.

They both lie. It's alien-dominated. Which makes it awesome fun (unless you are a marine). :p

(Though it might also be because I am a such a terrible shot compared to other PTs that I get murdered in pretty much every engagement :/)
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Its like every new map keeps getting more and more beautiful

Summit is becoming like the old ex GF who stays true and reliable and is one you can always give a late night call to for a good time... but is beginning to look a bit ugly in comparison to the new hot ones you're dating lately, so you feel a little less inclined to answer those texts/votes.

All Summit needs is a meteor storm, where you can see fiery meteors crash through the atmosphere. Would be ultra cool from Crevice and Atrium. The engine does reds and oragnes VERY well and that's why I like Refinery visuals. Maybe once in a while, the whole map could shudder from an impact?
  • BlauerRayBlauerRay Germany Join Date: 2013-12-07 Member: 189905Members
    Missing Squads and Fade balance!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ...I thought I was seeing double.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    I can only hope the eclipse update launches before the "holday season" fully ramps up.

Releasing around that time is too chaotic. Do not have time to usually play games then... would rather have it before!

You do realize that at the same time the blogpost came out, the patch went live on steam and you can play it?

edit: ups, thread necromancy
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited December 2013
    Great map, especially with marine start, i sometimes wonder if ns2 would be more popular today if they went with the more interesting themes of biodome, descent and eclipse instead of refinery and mineshaft, i really never liked the dark theme and i reckon it puts a lot of people off, as well as the obvious performance and balance issues...
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Electr0 wrote: »
    i sometimes wonder if ns2 would be more popular today if they went with the more interesting themes of biodome, descent and eclipse instead of refinery and mineshaft, i really never liked the dark theme and i reckon it puts a lot of people off
    Different people, different tastes. I really love the dark/gritty/industrial theme of Tram and Refinery. Biodome is very nice too. But Descent and Eclipse are just "meh" for me... the art does its job, and does not get in the way, but I don't find it as exciting as the other maps.

Given that Tram is one of the most popular maps, too, I doubt that the art style "puts a lot of people off". (I know you were talking about Refinery, but these are very similar to me.)