Steam is not nice to UWE

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I am trying to do my bit to help continue funding NS2 by buying a 4-pack in the sales to gift to my friends. Unfortunately, steam is telling me no-go, because i already own the game. Is this a deliberate Steam policy or a bug?

Comments

• WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It is a steam policy. You can only buy a four pack once for each game. It is to prevent people from buying tons of copies and selling them individually at a slightly cheaper rate.

You have probably already bought the ns2 four pack at some point.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Make a new steam account on a new email in 1 min, gift yourself the pack?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    No, I have bought the Deluxe Black Armor pre-order edition, which gave me a free game, but I have not previously bought a 4-pack.
    Xao wrote: »
    Make a new steam account on a new email in 1 min, gift yourself the pack?

If I do that, it will automatically give that account 1 copy of the game, so that would just be a waste. I want to increase the playerbase too with this purchase..
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    You cant buy a 4 pack of a game you already own. This is steam's doing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That is a shame. I am disappointed. Oh well, I will buy 2 individuals copies then, but I was hoping for the 4 pack.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You will get over it... some day...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    the entire point is to stop people buying loads of 4 packs and reselling the individual keys for profit. Because of the obvious fact that a 4 pack is essentially buy 3 get one free. But if you're rich enough to just be giving away keys, then surely you can afford to buy 4 copies of the game, especially if it were on sale, just grab 20 next time ns2 is on sale(although I personally hope that never happens again).
    I am out of work, I am certainly not rich enough to be giving away keys, however, I know some amazingly talented programmers, modellers and artists who I would like to get involved in my modding projects. It also expands the playerbase. I have spent as much money as I have been able to afford over the years to support UWE, and I will continue to do so, however, my contributions are minor.

With these keys, I hope to bring on people who can help create amazing mods and tools for the community, and thus hopefully expanding the playerbase and generating further revenue. I do what little I can, and I understand the need for the protection against reselling. I just won't be able to invite in as many people as I was hoping, that's all.

I will get over it eventually :P
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    You touched my heart @Soul_Rider.
    I just bought a copy and you can give it to some1.
    Its waiting in my inventory.
    X
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Buy a 4-pack on one of your lucky friend's account and have him gift the other 3 to your other friends. You're welcome! :)
    @CCTEE - Wow, thank you, that is awesome.

@PoNeH - If I can catch up with them before the end of the steam sale, that is exactly what I will do!!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    np let me know who to send it too. I guess i only need a steam username for that (?).