New Alien Vision

Comments

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    mattji104 wrote: »
    What's your argument to me, a fellow player/consumer, who has wanted NO ALIEN VISION AT ALL since day 0?

I'm super happy with the changes, and while I'm ok with the alien flashlight part of it, I'd rather aliens be simply unnaffected by the lights going out.

But I think even the outline is too much help for aliens. I think it's all a silly handicap that aliens simply don't need and moreover, shouldn't have.

What say you to me

I would say that before the change, you had the option to not hit "f" and have exactly what you want. This would solve any personal dislike of AV.

If you dislike playing against players who have AV because you think it's unfair I could simply say LTP like everyone says to the people who liked AV. But again because the old AV lowered the skill ceiling it can not be OP. It did raise the skill floor, so maybe you didn't like beginners having a chance.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @mad_max I don't care if people are using it, couldn't care less. I never used it even when it was green and orange. I also don't need to l2p thx
    @mattji104 Then I'm vary confused by your previous post where you said you wanted no alien vision from the start. No one forced you to turn it on. In fact since the change you are now forced to use minimal AV so I would thing you would also be upset by the change...
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Every time I press F, I feel like the sun went supernova in my eyes.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I pop my head back in to these forums from time to time to see how alien vision and strafe jump are going.

Don't plan on returning to NS2 until normal alien vision is the same as 'rine vision, and alien vision (f) has the option to revert to ye olde type.

If you take the first post of this thread as an indication of what the community wants, it's clear that in this case what the community wants has been ignored.
    Right now 31 want original vision to be an option vs 13 who don't.

The diplomatic solution would be to keep both styles of vision and provide them as options for people to use what they want.
    That way every one wins, except for those tw@ts who want to control what other people are forced to look at.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's come a long way since it was first introduced...
    8QO7a3i.jpg
    bh2NHxd.jpg
    It COULD be a LOT worse.

^ This x1000 ^
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    8QO7a3i.jpg
    bh2NHxd.jpg
    It COULD be a LOT worse.

Not sure why you would say it could be worse, when it should be better. You point out an obvious fact... anything can be worse/better, but you should always strive to make them better. It's currently an eye sore...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mac1OMan wrote: »
    8QO7a3i.jpg
    bh2NHxd.jpg
    It COULD be a LOT worse.

Not sure why you would say it could be worse, when it should be better. You point out an obvious fact... anything can be worse/better, but you should always strive to make them better. It's currently an eye sore...

Just a reminder they HAVE attempted to fix it before they got slammed trying to fix remaining issues with performance and server issues. Not like they want to fix it AFAIK at this point.
    Attempted to fix it, by doing something other than what the majority of people here asked...

I want to hear the official UWE reasoning on why they decided to break it in the first place.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Just because you dont like it does not mean its broken

It functions pretty much like it used to (except its orange, OMG)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nazo wrote: »

it highlights much worse, however I didn't even use the vanilla default I had to modify it because it made me motion sick/headache, now that pretty much every server disables customs and I haven't been able to get it the same I just play with it off, although I much preferred having everything greyscaled

edited October 2013
    Nazo wrote: »

If it was "just me" who didn't like it then I would accept that I'm on the wrong side of history on this one and move on peacefully. But the fact remains that I'm not the only one, and the majority seem to be on my side. (look at original post)

Again, why can't we have both options. If you like the new vision you use it, and if you like the old vision you can go with that instead.

• Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Actually, even though I like the new default vision, it could be toned down so that only marines are outlined. Then it would be perfect for me. It is a bit messy when fighting in marine base. I found the old alien vision boring since I couldn't see the pretty graphics and felt that it was way too easy to spot a marine hiding, but if I wanted to have the edge, I kept it on. And last thing, it is harder to follow marines now that they jump so far, but still doable if I actually concentrate. If you lose the track of a jumping marine, it's not because of alien vision, but because you get confused in your head when he jumps out of sight and you predict his and yours movement wrong.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    If so many people want another alien version, convince the organizers of competetive events to allow your favourite vision mod.

As for the I don't like it argument, I don't like getting shot as skulk. Give me godmode UWE!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Don't worry the alien vision will be changed, I mean what has stayed the same on aliens since release?
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    At this point I just wish they would remove the stupid outlines when alien vision is OFF.

I never have it on, and for me the outlines make it harder to track marines up close.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I complete stopped using alien vision. The current default "off vision" is more then good enough so it doesn't bother me that much.
    I do miss the old vision though, it just worked. Short of not seeing transparency the vision was great and served a purpose.

I get the feeling the current alien vision is supposed to be a last resort, only to be used when you get into a dark area where normal vision would not function.
    I get the design concept behind this as it ruins a lot of the beautiful artwork in the game. But the current implementation does more harm then good.

I'd suggest getting rid of the white glow, the weird bloom effect around it is an eyesore.
    Furthermore playing with the contrast is needed.

Look at how neotokyo does it.
    neotokyo_thermalvision.jpg

It has a much darker contrast with the white. Far less of an eye sore and can easily be used for long periods of time.

An alternative would be to make the targets black as can be seen in arma3 with the nighthunter scope.
    600px-Nightstalker5.jpg[img][/img]

versus
    600px-Nightstalker6.jpg

Not as easy to spot targets versus the white but its easy on the eyes. Course the old alien vision was pretty solid albeit slightly funky looking.

Now I understand that they don't want you to use this vision 24/7 to preserve the graphics of the game. Few ways to go around this, make it function like a NVG, so lit up areas make the vision useless.

Have it auto activate ONLY in dark rooms, simply see if the power is out and if yes enable. Taking control away from the player is the last route I'd ever take though.

Or the more interesting approach would be go for a heat based vision with a twist. So if the marines are moving/have recently moved or are shooting they show up like a Christmas tree.
    Where as if they would "camp" for lets say 5 seconds the nanites in the body armor would hide the heat signature.
    This forces players to have risk versus reward. I always liked this about AvP.

Now I'm well aware that the last option would be another radical change to ns2. I'm just throwing out a few suggestions to point out plenty possible options.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Most the time I can't see the chat if I have AV on...because it blends in...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    8QO7a3i.jpg
    bh2NHxd.jpg
    It COULD be a LOT worse.

Sure it could be worse, they could be jamming the hot poker in my ass along with my eyes, but it's still more than bad enough.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Still no official word on this?

This awful broken sight means it's no longer worth biting power down ever (like it was barely worth it previously...) as it now puts aliens at a massive disadvantage to do so.

Please for the love of God give us the CHOICE to either stick with your alien sight/vision combination or use the old AV or normal sight with no outlines at all!!!!

The headaches have returned after a week without playing NS2. This issue isn't going away. Cmon @Hugh - some of us are huge supporters of UWE, hell I've even bought all tiers up to an including Shadow in support of you guys - but this alien sight is a big problem still :( Please make my headaches go away :(
    Lol, they are just waiting for people to forget the old AV...

They won't address this because the only reason to remove the anti clutter is to show off the graphics... So for them to comment would be for them to say graphics>game play.... This would start a different issue altogether
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Still no official word on this?

This awful broken sight means it's no longer worth biting power down ever (like it was barely worth it previously...) as it now puts aliens at a massive disadvantage to do so.

Please for the love of God give us the CHOICE to either stick with your alien sight/vision combination or use the old AV or normal sight with no outlines at all!!!!

The headaches have returned after a week without playing NS2. This issue isn't going away. Cmon @Hugh - some of us are huge supporters of UWE, hell I've even bought all tiers up to an including Shadow in support of you guys - but this alien sight is a big problem still :( Please make my headaches go away :(

We'll need to see a note from you doctor to enable this for you.

(Seriously, might want to go talk to one for persistent headaches regardless of what sets them off.)
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Lol, they are just waiting for people to forget the old AV...

They won't address this because the only reason to remove the anti clutter is to show off the graphics... So for them to comment would be for them to say graphics>game play.... This would start a different issue altogether

What's funny about that is the new alien vision looks like someone smeared a toxic after-grog-bog (AGB) across my screen.

I can't believe after all this time there is no official story on why this was implemented.

I've seen some argue that it makes no difference in gameplay. So if that is the case, then why not give us the option to have both types of normal and AV? Allowing us to use what we like the look of?

I've seen others argue that it makes it harder to track, and is a balance issue.
    If that is the case, why did aliens deserve this nerf?

#OldAVNeverforget
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    I can't believe after all this time there is no official story on why this was implemented.

You don't need a story, they've already said it was removed because they want you to see the purdy textures! Screw the immersion, look at the sick graphics bro!

Alien vision has become worthless to me and I never use it anymore. Before it was a neat feature that made me feel like I was actually playing some exotic Alien preying on victims like a predator. There was a great unique feel to playing Aliens before that you don't get in a lot of games. Now it just feels like I'm just playing another standard FPS character.

The only time it's actually beneficial is when it's pitch dark, and that doesn't happen that often. When it does happen, the room stays dark for what, like 10 seconds? Then it gets lit up again without anyone building the power! It makes absolutely zero sense. Are Aliens supposed to enable it for 10 seconds of use then disable it?

They should nerf the Marines flashlight too. It makes textures look too bright in a lit room and there is no drawback to leaving it on. /sarcasm
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I really don't understand why the completely fucked the av.

Balance reasons are laughable, sure you could immediately see marines with it, but the same can be said for the new non av.

New av is complete garbage and utterly useless.

Now at close range it doesnt matter if you have av on or off, as either way its a visual clustfuck. The outlines get confusing and the new av its a slightly brighter orange blur. Pray to god they're not by an armory or extractor as you can't see shit.

It's not like it makes it that much harder, just more annoying. I personally loved the old AV, I just like it from an aesthetic point of view. It looked so clean, made me feel like I really was a predator just hunting down some humans.

http://i.imgur.com/DEQryVw.jpg?1

I do really miss it, and after all these updates I really do appreciate the direction the game is going, and I generally agree with UWE changes. But this has totally ruined aliens for me. I just loved having the old alien vision, I downloaded some old school av mod but it only works on some servers.

@hugh I'd really love to see an option to switch between the two, as the reason appears to be that they wanted people to appreciate the art, well I do love how the game looks but can't I just have that option?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    At least give us cool AV animation back (how it swallows the scene when turned on)
    ns2isgood wrote: »

You don't need a story, they've already said it was removed because they want you to see the purdy textures! Screw the immersion, look at the sick graphics bro!

Damn I was asleep when that happened. So which member of UWE posted this and where is the post?

Every time I see comments added to this thread I eagerly log in to see if UWE has decided to finally weigh in and defend themselves... Obviously I'm still waiting...