Custom map playtest sessions

Comments

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Ohh we've tried to enforced that.... never seems to happen somehow...
    Well, not to sound harsh, but its not my loss, just the mappers' wanting to playtest the maps.

• ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's a perfectly valid criticism. The only thing I can think we can do to help reduce the occurance of this problem is to wipe the rotation before the start of every session, just activating the one map that is to be tested at that time. Additionally you can try contacting any one of the admins if this should happen again and we will try and fix it asap.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Prison is my baby, weird thing is I didn't update it yesterday during the test, I first came home at 22:30pm and entered the server right away to play Oo Updated it a day earlier. I useally ask the admins, to tell me when there is an intermission, so that I publish, without screwing with the test sessions. I am sorry that my map caused you problems :( !
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It wouldn't be prison if we were playing on it vert, so no need to worry.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    No more videos this week guys, version 255's crashes ate most of my videos. Only caged survived. :p
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The flames of rage burnt the video reels?! Next week we'll have a pregame breathing exercise session :)
    L
    In light of an incident that occurred on the server last night, I would like to try and give a guideline for conduct while playing with pubs during the week on the server.

If you find a map exploit, note it down and continue to play as if you hadn't found it. During the sunday sessions it is fine to use these to make a point, show the creator the problem etc. But ordinary pubbers don't know the deal, so I would ask that we refrain from using them outside of those sessions.

I accept partial responsibilty for last night's incident as I didn't react to the situation and intervene appropriately. I'm pointing no fingers nor attributing blame. I just want to address the issue and move on.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Finally got some time to set the custom map server back up. It'd be great if you guys post a link to your workshop pages in the first post of your threads in the future. I'll be adding them to my thread as well but for the sake of others it'd be a nice time saver. Or at least post your mods hex address.

Thanks in advance. <3
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'd love to contribute a map I'm working on now. What all is needed from me? It's still ~100% greyboxed (ie ugly) but should still play just fine.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174122137

It's called "ns2_hotdogs", set in the galaxy's premier skulk-meat hotdog manufacturing facility.

What time do these playtests usually occur? Living in Texas, I'm not sure how often I'd be able to join in a game if it's late-night in the UK.
    @BeigeAlert I'll test your map on my machine and see if anything needs to be fixed before placing it on our server. I'll post in the map thread should I find anything. The tests happen on Sundays every week and start at 20.00 BST.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @BeigeAlert As Oblivious said we play on Sundays and i think it's a 6 hours difference so 2PM Your time we should be starting. We'll get it tested and provide any feedback we can but it's best if you can show up and get it all real time.(We have a mumble that all testers/mappers are on.)

I'll also say this again if you want your map testing join our group we also post when we'll be playing during the week and post your map here/message one of the group admins (Me/Oblivious/Howser/Flat/Loki/Daan)
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Good chance we will play the map along with many others tonight from 7pm (19:00hrs) onwards UK GMT I shall be milling around on the server
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2013
    Lokee wrote: »
    Good chance we will play the map along with many others tonight from 7pm (19:00hrs) onwards UK GMT I shall be milling around on the server

Mind if I join you?

I'm already in the group. You send a notification, right?

edit: Damn. I figured out the time zones wrong again. I probably can't. -.-
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    server is open to anyone :P no doubt the server will be full quite late in to the night and yeah I shall send out a group notification
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    troops wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert As Oblivious said we play on Sundays and i think it's a 6 hours difference so 2PM Your time we should be starting. We'll get it tested and provide any feedback we can but it's best if you can show up and get it all real time.(We have a mumble that all testers/mappers are on.)

I'll also say this again if you want your map testing join our group we also post when we'll be playing during the week and post your map here/message one of the group admins (Me/Oblivious/Howser/Flat/Loki/Daan)

I definitely want to be a part of it, and 2PM on Sunday is definitely doable. What do I need to do to be a part of this? I heard something about a group... and a "mumble"?
    15 minutes ladies and gentlemen! You know where!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Let's see if I can get in this time.
    Eh, where again?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If you've got a new build of your map that needs testing, let me know! 30 MINUTES TO GO!
  • Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
    I may be some degree of late tomorrow, but there is an uplift update. Whoever's managing maps this week, mind sticking it at the end of the testing queue so I have more chance to make it?
    Ok so as far as I am aware at the moment we will have new builds of

ns2_fusion
    ns2_uplift
    ns2_kodiak

if they are anymore please post below !
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just a note: I might be a little late and possible slightly intoxicated. I know I'm bound to a wheelchair and crutches, but it's the annual bokbier festival, man. I must partake, if not as fervently as usual. :D
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Has anyone else noticed the matches losing some steam over the last month or so? It's becoming rare to find a match decent enough to put up on the youtubes.

Don't know if it's the patch, or playing the same maps with the same comms/players over and over.

I realize the whole goal is to test those maps over and over, could we perhaps mix things up a bit to keep things fresh? Try out the latest balance patch, get some guest commanders to play, have trainee scc commander rounds, mix things up with some custom maps currently not in the rotation.

Also wouldn't mind if we cut short matches that are destined for a one sided turtle 5 minutes in. ;) I know you want to test siege issues but at what cost. think of the children! ;_;

I have noticed the last three weeks have been a bit flat(erectomy?)! Hard to pin-point the reasons I guess its just how the games/teams have fallen.... or that marine strafe jump. Makes me wanna rage every time I get done by one... lets try balance test mod! :P
    Speaking for myself, my current focus is on getting the base art content done for my map (textures, props, cinematics etc) which is just going to take a lot of time. The aim is to get a light art pass on fracture before the start of ENSL season 4 So I am intentionally standing back from my testing duties and forum nattering. It'll be worth it in the long run but for the next few weeks I wont be attending for more than 2 or 3 games if at all. This is not due to the lack of love for you guys, just a need to get my head down and get the work done. With level-design there's a huge bottleneck between having good ideas/finding solutions and mapping so putting 10 hours a week into testing and forum chatter isn't a problem, and with the art side its just good old fashioned hard-work and sadly my time is very limited!
    Don't know if it's the patch, or playing the same maps with the same comms/players over and over.

I'm working on a new map right now... But I'm working on it casually and it won't be ready for testing before 2014.
    There will be a new itteration of Ayumi + Kodiak for tonight
    Thanks for the combat games, it was a refreshing change of pace!

Got a couple of good recordings out of last sunday.
    I would like to draw the attention of all SCC members to the World Championship gofundme campaign and encourage you to contribute at least $1 if you love NS2 and custom maps.

This event wont just be a huge boost for the competitive scene but the ns2 community as a whole. I personally believe that NS2 will have a much longer and brighter future if this event is a success. And if It fails it'll be bit of an embarrassment for all of us and probably the end of studio events like this.

Making maps takes a very long time and I for one would like to see them being played for a good few years to come. There's also a custom cup in the early stages of planning. So all the major comp players and casters will be putting our maps through their paces soon enough. Lets do our best to ensure they'll be around next year to do some more!

I think together we could come up with a community content demo reel they could play at the event or perhaps even get them to play one of the custom maps if the custom map cup is a success. If it goes ahead we'll have to get involved. Only one way that's going to happen....
    Will be a new build of kodiak + Caged (fridays build) and I think goliath tonight
    anymore please post below
    edited October 2013
    Maybe one game on co_courtyard...

There's some small things I want to change; It's (hopefully) ready in an hour. If not, or if the steam workshop mocks up, I will tell you...

edit: Apart from the overview.exe crashing, builder responding with an error message and occlusion geometry not working, the steam workshop doesn't want the way I do.