Natural Selection 2 World Championship - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 World Championship - Natural Selection 2

As a game developer, our primary business concern must always be to create great games. The emotion generated by our bond with the Natural Selection 2 player community must always be kept in check: If we aren’t careful, we will end up happily spending all our money – and more importantly, time – doing fun stuff like making Gorge plushies, throwing tournaments, and partying with fans at shows. The end result of such behaviour? We can’t create games to our full potential, and you all receive sub-par games. But what do you do when players present you with a plan that is so stunningly ambitious, it reminds you of why you create games in the first place? A plan …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    May this thread be open and be the greatest comment thread the internet has ever seen!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm not too big on competitive, if not at all, but I wish you guys luck on funding the event, just try not to make it your primary focus.
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Indubitably this ought to be spectacular, yes.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Great! I will be around Köln on those dates :D let's make this happen!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    minsci wrote: »
    Indubitably this ought to be spectacular, yes.

This comment is amazing :D
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Unable to contribute at the moment as gofundme is showing the campaign as ended :(
    I've been on the phone to WasabiOne - Apparently GoFundMe has suffered a pretty severe error. More details to come, I'll pass on any information on the NS2 blog as it comes.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wtf, the fundraiser got reset?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Whoops. Double post.
    It did - Here is what happened: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/accidental-beacon/

Let's get back into it and support the NS2WC team!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited October 2013
    Doesn't really matter, they would have never reached $30k regardless. Trying to hype this up just makes you look like a fool as you are hyping something that will never happen.

I'd be all for it though if UWE actually knew how to make changes to the game that retained new players, then there would actually be a large enough player base to support trying to get $30k in donations.

But no..... all UWE knows how to do is to cater to the veteran players and make their player base dwindle.

I fully expect this post to be deleted as the last 2 things I called them out on (and I turned out to be right as well), were deleted.
  • DrathekDrathek Washington Join Date: 2007-01-06 Member: 59450Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So no more paypal donations? :(
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    @Res haha man, you must just be such a terrible person to hang out with. I imagine the happiest, most positive people in the world getting depressed and wanting to commit suicide by just seeing you walk up. That's a rare talent my man! Keep it going! ;)
    edited October 2013
    Bellicose wrote: »
    @Res haha man, you must just be such a terrible person to hang out with. I imagine the happiest, most positive people in the world getting depressed and wanting to commit suicide by just seeing you walk up. That's a rare talent my man! Keep it going! ;)

No, I just use common sense to realize what is going to happen, which many people around here, including UWE are missing. So far, I haven't been wrong using mere common sense.
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    1. As a game developer, our primary business concern must always be to create great games.

( Please stop making me LOLLing) Great Beta Game that is ns2 mmmm feels like beta release once again 10 steps forward 50 steps backwards what happen to ns2 luajit i remember that big update your company released not only did it see a peak of players rise but it had almost every player in the community once again active.

2. If we aren’t careful, we will end up happily spending all our money – and more importantly, time – doing fun stuff like making Gorge plushies, throwing tournaments, and partying with fans at shows. The end result of such behaviour? We can’t create games to our full potential, and you all receive sub-par games.

( FML another LOLLING statement by UWE) YAY let's make gorge plushies with $170k Wooohooo great idea I just heard UWE just won 2014 nobel prize with this statement well done guy's.

And now letting community member such as WasabiOne who has no share's or stock in your company shift prime focus on setting up a tournament funding program that is purely to keep umm mmm mmm lets say active 300 players who are in clans around the world. WE just donated over $170k towards one program and you guys are getting greedy so quickly to fund another $30k.
    Yes i know what UWE will say hey but look this is community funding program incorrect it's a funding that was passed by the gaming company to let other people outside the company create a funding program so UWE your signing away all your paper work away taking ns2 to this next level.

Not smart idea but then again i guess i'm waiting for UWe to burn they own bridge.

Like i said I will always love ns but i'v always hated the people who are behind closed door coming up with idea's such like this one.

Just hope uwe quickly make's a huge mistake in the gaming industry so they can get down to the last tier only to figure out what went wrong until then I will not donate a cent towards any programs that are listed by UWE or UWE letting pig's brains run programs.

NS2 the greatest Unfinished Game to be viewed by less then 1000 viewers the day ns2 gets over 1000 viewers that will be the day i say right uwe is a great company but until then i might as well go watch 2 guys playing lego war's rather then watch a game that can't even get 1000 viewers!!!

With all respect I loved ns1 and still do but out of over 500 game's i'v played and over 10+ years invested towards this company i'm saying your company is going the wrong track.

But hey GoodLuck!!!!!
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    "We can’t create games to our full potential, and you all receive sub-par games."

LOLing hard. So true.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Bellicose
    People tend to go all extreme in unstable times. Extreme Left or Right. Black and white, never grey.
    Or like it is the case here, overly negative or blindly positive. But what's really important is to realize that something is wrong. Worst would be just to ignore. The anger, so many pissed off people born from frustration. Loving something but seeing it go down and beeing unable to do something against it (and just after you thought you were actually helping more and more bad news come in). Hence Hugh disappointment.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I agree the initial media hype and communication about all this was abysmally bad. However, communication is now once again clear.
    its community driven, community focussed and uwe is only 'helping'.

People complain about uwe's games.. Ok fair nuff.. I disagree, but everyone his/her voice.

But I dont see the reasoning for complaining uwe is helping with this. Its not as big surprise now is it folk?
    I mean, its been on the about page for eons:
    Unknown Worlds is an independent game company in San Francisco, CA (team and office videos). Our goal is simple, but not easy – to unite the world through play.

Unite the world through play is what you try to do with tournaments.
    What exactly would go wrong? You have PR budget and coding budget. Its stated ns2 development wont go down due to this. They are working on bugfixed, performance and (gasp) ideas for new games.

The ones who confirmed HAVE been busy with this are Charlie & Hugh.. hmm.. the boss & the PR guy. That doesnt sound weird in my ears at all.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get that some of you may have just reason for being frustrated, or upset and have every right to be critical. Throwing sarcasm into the mix doesn't help to make valuable constructive feedback to guide the improvement of the situation. Keep it civil, and it will work towards all your desires, besides I can think of far worse things to worry about in one's life.
    Well, @RedDog already laid down the law. But here's another one:

WHXB0GS.png
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @kurupt
    SAY IT! Uwe is a great company! SAY IT ! Say it gawddammit!
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    authoring and releasing press and webpages isn't helping - it's doing their work for them
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hugh wrote: »
    Well, @RedDog already laid down the law. But here's another one:

WHXB0GS.png

What the hell happened back then?
    edited October 2013
    The graphs remind me of Obamacare.......

"Look we got so many visitors to our website that it crashed!!!"

"So how many people actually signed up?"

"Oh.... a hundred or so."
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    edited October 2013
    lol @Res - missing the whole point yet again. It's so obvious via your posts that you are blinded by so much hatred. It's like you tried asking out someone at UWE on a date and they rejected you, so now you're on a mission to mend you're poor broken heart. :x

I forgive you though - as well as respect your opinions. However, instead of just bashing left and right - how about some constructive feedback as to how to help the situation? You may be thinking that 'that's what you have been doing'; but it sure isn't coming across that way. Here's a hint: the way things are said is just as important as the subject itself. You can keep the $20 for that one. :)>-

Do you wish UWE to fail or something? Did the person you tried to ask out make fun of a receding hairline and that's a touchy subject? :D

I kid, I kid! In all seriousness though - do you even like UWE?
    edited October 2013
    Bellicose wrote: »
    - how about some constructive feedback as to how to help the situation?

I have many times. I'll reiterate though.

If NS2 is going to grow (although it may already been too late), then certain features of NS2 need to be added, changed or completely removed in order to retain new players that enter the game. Whether those changes are by implementing a 'carrot on a stick' or by changing the learning curve or whatever, THEN NS2 will actually be able to grow as it will be able to finally retain players.

NS2 will never grow by UWE constantly only supporting and throwing money at the esports side of things.

I use to like UWE before Hugh and company came up with the fact that esports was what was going to make NS2 grow, when it clearly won't.

However, they are starting to realize that NS2 is not going to grow, as referenced by their statement that they are not going to work on NS2 full time anymore, I doubt they have put 2 + 2 together to realize why though.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013