The Post Your Screenshots Thread!

Comments

• MoconnorMoconnor Join Date: 2002-07-26 Member: 1004Members
    Architecture is really interesting Joseppe! Looking forward to seeing how it looks after a pass with some lighting. Must be a pain to texture all that though!! Can you use 3D Max or Maya? Would be good if you could model some of those chunks of geometry. If you can't it would be a good project to start to learn to model.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited August 2013
    deathshroud said:
    you're putting so much effort into this map joseppe its mind boggling, you must have some serious free time. Would be a real shame if after all this it isnt usable as a map by the time you get close to finishing i doubt my computer can even load the map up in the editor
    i try to finish it. the ideas are ready, but it only takes a lot of time to finish it all.
    so far 3 techpoints (with ressource nodes) + 3 independent ressource node locations are almost done.

to finish this (the whole map concept is not completly done) i need to do 2 more techpoints and 1 more ressource node.
    but we will see...
    Tharos said:
    @Joseppe Your map looks fantastic :D
    thank you!
    Moconnor said:
    Architecture is really interesting Joseppe! Looking forward to seeing how it looks after a pass with some lighting. Must be a pain to texture all that though!! Can you use 3D Max or Maya? Would be good if you could model some of those chunks of geometry. If you can't it would be a good project to start to learn to model.
    sry, but i am not going to lightning this right now (lightning is my weak spot). i want to finish the geometry to get a working map.
    the fountain you see is going to another room (image: left side). the model would be not in a reuseable state.
    if i would say now: ok, mapping is stopped... have to learn modeling (maya, 3d max) first to continue work... what would you think / say ? ;)
    (i would think: shit... just finish the map, so we can PLAY IT!!!)

btw:
    * i know 3d max/maya, but i dont have any kind of knowledge using it. i am mapping for fun and i dont get paid for this... so i am not going to try this out, sry.
    * i am not really texturing everything. for a lot of curves i use a "texture without borders" so i dont need to align it. example: brown metal texture on the floor.

at angelous: (you said: Going through some post I feel ashamed of showing my first messy attempts at mapping...)
    looks great so far. Please dont think negative about your own work when you see other people posting here.
    example: my work did really take a lot of hours. if i would map your level it would me take maybe 100+ hours to finish it.
    its all about time and i am going the other side, not: greyboxing to detail, but rather: room -> detailing, next room.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Thanks @Joseppe , I am still trying to learn how to be efficient on the Editor, so it'll take a while to bring it to a desireable state :)
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Joseppe A fool proof why of lighting is orange lowlights and blue highlights.
    edited August 2013
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice work @JOSEPPE. I like the first image which has a view of the catwalk outside.
  • TwitherTwither Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160287Members
    A few screens of my WIP ns2_co_enigma, a 1:1 recreation of my ns1 combat map.

SyBHLnb.jpg

CS8sKIC.jpg

kHM1Esl.jpg
    edited August 2013
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    Double helix says "Hello!".
    Not as impressive as the rest, but nice anyway.

Looks a lot better ingame though, can actually see the electricity zap around!
    ( DO NOT TRY TO REMAKE THIS, YOUR WRIST IS GOING TO HATE YOU )

2013_08_01_00001.jpg
    2013_08_01_00002.jpg
    2013_08_01_00003.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Same thing as the last post, however i didn't expect the following to happen.
    Also, forgive me, it is a video. If it wasn't you might not understand why it's weird. :D

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Private movie? maybe make it public? ;p
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    What map is this?
    See something familiar?
    khp4.jpg

Like I did to recreate ns2_co_pulse
    cjkm.jpg

Here is the original extracted file ... Or most for a reference
    iozt.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Dang Joesppe! You know there is such a thing as props right? Although... your map seems to be doing just fine without them! I'm guessing the plants are geo as well? :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Something I am currently working on. ns2_skybase (if you come up with a better name I'd be happy). It's a research station floating in the sky.

This is actually greyboxing, but, as you know, the current build editor hates dev textures, so here are some basic textures.
    JIWHzN7.png

Some thoughts about layout. It will either be based on refinery or veil.
    7HcSI2y.jpg

(Scanned from my notebook.)

Ware = Warehouse
    Plat = Platform
    Drop = "The Drop"
    Sec = Security
    sth power = Something about power (didnt come up with a name yet)
    Sky = Skygarden
    Lounge is the one displayed in the picture.

AS/MS = Alien/Marine Spawn
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    One thing that stands out to me in the layout is how Hangar / Reception are connected similarly to Fusion / Cargo in Tanith, i.e. both exits from hangar lead to the same place. Granted, the west exit leads to a junction so you can access other areas as well, which is the same with Fusion in Tanith. This means you can cover both exits from one location, which isn't good.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    One thing that stands out to me in the layout is how Hangar / Reception are connected similarly to Fusion / Cargo in Tanith, i.e. both exits from hangar lead to the same place. Granted, the west exit leads to a junction so you can access other areas as well, which is the same with Fusion in Tanith. This means you can cover both exits from one location, which isn't good.

Yes. It's just some scribbles so far. What do you suggest to solve it?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @F0rdPrefect I would probably just remove that connection altogether.
    I messed around with the layout a bit, but it always ended looking like veil :\
    nk0mfz2.jpg

Crates. You can never have enough of them, that's why we build a warehouse for them.

Think of those textures as grey dev-textures.
    Might have overdone it a bit on the size of my Cargo Bay. I should probably half the length... But then it's too high D:
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Co_kestrel in progress...
    I'm liking how it looks. What do you think?

8ED1746D6DCB7E013C00819F3810E472610CF4BE
    edited October 2013
    [=Alex=] wrote: »
    What do you think?
    looking really good, i like it too. But two small things (i noticed after some seconds)...
    • on the left side: you can see the transition between the props and the wall
    • lightning: is to generic (= white), btw: i am really, really bad at lightning things :)
    keep in mind: i see this as a static image... if i would play it, i wouldnt really notice it.

EDIT - location: radar (ressource point), image 1 = outside area, not reachable ingame
    rVQEz4us.jpg NgVLEVrs.jpg kwFgRsxs.jpg
    I think this is a new record: My geometry is displaced one fifth of 0.13m to the rest. How is this even possible working entirely on grid???
    edited October 2013
    How is this even possible working entirely on grid???

i hope the following is the right answer for your question.

- its possible to increase / decrease the grid size (as we all know)
    - if the grid size setup is < 4" (so 1", 2") the vertices go off the grid sometimes if you move your geometry
    - solution: try to use a minimum of 4" on the grid size, so this shouldn´t happen (<<<< I am not quite sure about that, somebody said this)
    - btw: i am using "1 all the time and i get off the grid, really, really often... but it can be repaired with the scaling-tool really fast after a movement
    - if possible, dont use the snap-to-grid option on triangle / squared faces, because:
    -- it does move all your vertices on the grid again,
    -- BUT it sometimes doesnt restore the "actual size" of your selected geometry, so sometimes the geometry is transformed by 1" after using snap-to-grid
    - you can / have to use the snap-to-grid option on arches / circles, because:
    -- they are usually always off the grid after creation
    -- after using snap-to-grid not all faced are equal sized (otherwise it would logically off the grid)

EDIT: god dammit mistypes all the time...