Wacky Idea of the Day

tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
edited October 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
In an attempt to make Skulks more useful in late game, what if parasite reduced medpack effectiveness by an amount - for example 33% ?

My feeling is that the game would be better if higher lifeforms weren't so imperative after the 10 minute mark. Especially when you're playing in a pub server where perhaps you don't want to be a twitchy 'try-hard', ergo you try more risky/less boring plays and effectively end up urinating your PRES down the drain. If the team resources and map control is more or less equal by about 10 minutes, it seems like Aliens need higher lifeforms to even have a chance - so I'd like to discuss the Skulk having more indirect damage potential.

I can play super conservative as a Lerk or Fade and get 30:1 KDR's like a regular pub hero, but it's just nowhere near as much fun as playing more risky and attempting the ridiculous like winning a 1v3. But this really isn't possible as if you lose your TRES then you almost always feel like you've lost the match as a direct result of your 'non boring' playstyle. On the other hand, the Assault Rifle Marine can spend 0 PRES and go on a non-boring, no-risk rambo mission with potential to deal plenty of damage with commander support. In my opinion, this is a big gameplay problem.

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    On the other hand, the Assault Rifle Marine can spend 0 PRES and go on a non-boring, no-risk rambo mission with potential to deal plenty of damage with commander support. In my opinion, this is a big gameplay problem.

That's a bit of a problem even if everyone is playing carefully. Once aliens start losing lifeforms it really hurts, A3/W3 marines vs Skulks really hurts.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Bite extractors.

No matter where you are in the game that is a good idea. This is about late game where skulk loses combat ability. I don't know if I agree that this is a problem, but I understand both viewpoints. To further the OP:

What about when you are forced to engage in combat, and are unable to bite extractors late game. You might say that they deserve to lose then if are unable to be offensive. What if they can't be offensive because they lack late game combat ability?
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Skulks lack combat ability? Skulks are excellent in drawing fire away from higher lifeforms. You just can't play like in the early game when a3 and shotguns are up. Believe me, creating some chaos by simply moving around the marines so they can't focus all their rifles in one direction is plenty of combat ability. If you want 30:1 k/d rates, become a fade.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Late game skulks:

- have invisbility when not moving
    - make no sound while moving
    - loljump thoughout the map at the speed of light
    - have about 150 effective hp, enough to survive shotgun most of the time

I don't think they need further buffs.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited October 2013
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Bite extractors.

i agree with this, but when aliens have less extractors than marines as a direct result of having too few higher lifeforms - that's when i wish skulks had something universally useful that lasted after you get instagibbed by a shotgun (unlike 2-3 bites which gets healed up by medpack/welder in a second).

additionally, i've been hoping parasite gets some kind of improvement to justify the creepy bug-crawly animation - rather than "ooooh noes, you're covered in bugs which means that aliens can see you through a wall" - which they already can if they have 2 hives (aura) or if the marine is standing in a good defensive position where it doesn't help to have wallhax.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like the idea, honestly, removes the effectiveness of medpack spam without dimishing any aspects of the game. It makes parasite a little bit more useful than just a show-off way to kill a marine.