Kicking for Foul Language

Comments

• ZTrainZTrain Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 183969Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    B3rT wrote: »
    I once got kicked from a french server because I was speaking english.
    yeah, thats the french... never saw anything like that on other servers. (but of course, french people speak only french on other servers, too...)

on topic: the whole discussion is pointless. you can think of cursing like you want. It is still the admins server, he pays for it, so he can do whatever he want. If you don't like his rules you can't play on his server, easy like that. (thats why I try to avoid french servers as much as possible ;))

And no, I'm not offended by cursing people. But if you use more cursing words than non-cursing you should not be surprised if people think you are retarded.

There is rarely a server message disclosing the language rules. He said "fuck" must be pathetic. Cy@!
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    ZTrain wrote: »
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.
    ezekel wrote: »
    I'm surprised people still get offended by curse words in 2013, the way I've grown up to see it, a curse word is just another word expressing another word but in a more 'capital manner'

for example, "I hate you" -> " I F5$#%^#$&^$%&^#$% hate you"

Both have the same meaning, one is just a more extreme than the other.. sort of like water from solid to liquid, and then liquid to gas.. they went through the same process.. but getting to gas just requires that much more heat!

Er no. Cursing indicates vulgarity, which is why it is frowned upon in every human society. I'm not saying insta-banning is ok, I'm just letting you know that this is where society is at, and where it always will be, whether 1013 or 2013 or 3013 (if there are still humans here by then).
    ... In addition, saying "oh gosh!" is apparently more sophisticated than, "oh my f-cking God!"?

So, so silly. So, so illogical. And so, so behind in the times.

apparently? It is more polite to say oh gosh... duh?

"duh?" Explain? I've never thought it impolite for someone to say "oh my f-cking god" and those who do without paying attention to the context are merely being illogical.

Did you know it's possible for the majority of people to be wrong? Mr "the earth is flat duh?".
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nazo wrote: »
    Admins obviously need an ability to "wash your mouth out with soap"

In good old Natural Selection, we admins had slap, slap with damage, slay, force model on player (e.g. force a fademodel on a marine and activate friendly fire (by JoeScylla)) and many more usefull tools.
    ... nowadays, we only can kick their butts or flame back!

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Don't forget stuck with signal beacon xD
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    GameOver wrote: »

In good old Natural Selection, we admins had slap, slap with damage, slay, force model on player (e.g. force a fademodel on a marine and activate friendly fire (by JoeScylla)) and many more usefull tools.

This sounds awesome.
    Why are we not funding this?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    GameOver wrote: »

This is the kind of usability this game has been chronically lacking, though this might be more server mod territory.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm surprised people still get offended by curse words in 2013, the way I've grown up to see it, a curse word is just another word expressing another word but in a more 'capital manner'

Both have the same meaning, one is just a more extreme than the other.. sort of like water from solid to liquid, and then liquid to gas.. they went through the same process.. but getting to gas just requires that much more heat!

Er no. Cursing indicates vulgarity, which is why it is frowned upon in every human society. I'm not saying insta-banning is ok, I'm just letting you know that this is where society is at, and where it always will be, whether 1013 or 2013 or 3013 (if there are still humans here by then).
    ... In addition, saying "oh gosh!" is apparently more sophisticated than, "oh my f-cking God!"?

"duh?" Explain? I've never thought it impolite for someone to say "oh my f-cking god" and those who do without paying attention to the context are merely being illogical.

Did you know it's possible for the majority of people to be wrong? Mr "the earth is flat duh?".

explain? Really? If you can't see why one phrase is more polite than the other you're oblivious. It doesn't matter what you think - it matters to those you are communicating to.

Do I need to explain which would be more polite: make me a sandwich; make me a sandwich, please.

duh.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    EreboZ wrote: »
    Do we want a community of cool & laid back people, or a community full of kids/upset parents, that are too spoiled or "proper", to handle some cursing?

In my experience, the type of "mature" gamer you would normally want to play with is NOT the same person that is constantly dropping F-bombs in every sentence, and just generally showing they don't know how to articulate themselves in any more intelligent manner. Also it's annoying.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Why is this thread not closed? How a server decides to operate is not within the scope of how UWE makes a game. However based on the fact that this forum deems your language inappropriate my guess is that UWE would disagree with you.

Just because your "grown up" enough to use big boy words, clearly doesn't make you mature enough to not use them.
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Why is this thread not closed? How a server decides to operate is not within the scope of how UWE makes a game. However based on the fact that this forum deems your language inappropriate my guess is that UWE would disagree with you.

Just because your "grown up" enough to use big boy words, clearly doesn't make you mature enough to not use them.

Because it is in no way offensive? People are discussing their opinions.

"Brace Yourselves"
    Incoming freedom of speech replies.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Erm, I have never been on a server that doesnt warn you or state stuff like that in the rules, and since I have been playing NS2 for a long time, I believe that it's just you either not paying attention or not reading the rules.
  • Disco_StuDisco_Stu Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187965Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    NO Australian servers ban people for swearing. Why? Because we're f***ing awesome, that's why. You americans are just too damn uptight. Just f***ing relax aye ;)
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Much as I might say that kicking someone for swearing sounds like overall poor showmanship, it falls under that old "It's their house, their rules".

What do you expect? For UWE to moderate and censor the privately-owned server operators capabilities for administrating their own paid-for game hubs?

I don't disagree that kicking for "just swearing" is a 'bad admin choice'.

Unfortunately, if you aren't paying for the server, congratulations on having absolutely no voice on what policies are enforced on the server.

I advise you use the iota of power given to you by virtue of owning the game: Don't play on a server if you don't agree with their policies.

Sympathetically,
    Colt
    ColtColt wrote: »
    Much as I might say that kicking someone for swearing sounds like overall poor showmanship, it falls under that old "It's their house, their rules".

What do you expect? For UWE to moderate and censor the privately-owned server operators capabilities for administrating their own paid-for game hubs?

Unfortunately, if you aren't paying for the server, congratulations on having absolutely no voice on what policies are enforced on the server.

I advise you use the iota of power given to you by virtue of owning the game: Don't play on a server if you don't agree with their policies.

Sympathetically,
    Colt

People aren't reading that I mentioned the servers NOT having the warning messages. Nor did I think this post would be taken so seriously lol. Hence it being in the general tab xD.
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.

explain? Really? If you can't see why one phrase is more polite than the other you're oblivious. It doesn't matter what you think - it matters to those you are communicating to.

Do I need to explain which would be more polite: make me a sandwich; make me a sandwich, please.

duh.

Your analogy made no sense. I have enough basal respect for my fellow human to hope that you're merely trolling and not actually this intellectually inept.

In fact, I can refute it simply: "Make me a sandwich" could be said sarcastically to one's wife (or girlfriend or whatever) as if to imply that one considers her subordinate when really you're saying it tongue-in-cheek because you want her to realise that you know how stupid such a notion is and that you are in fact mocking it.
    On the other hand you could say "Make me a sandwich" to your wife, of whom you frequently abuse, in such a manner as to be openly hostile and oppressive.

So the same sentences with completely different meanings. One impolite and horrid; the other not.

So after summarily destroying your point and making mine, will you concede or will you persist in your illogicality?

"duh".
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.

duh.

I mean just to make you look even more silly:

Sometimes I banter with my friends and we say in a laughing manner, "haha f-ck you, man". Clearly not impolite. On the other hand if someone told me, "you should be quiet" merely because I said something, I think the latter far more impolite.

"duh" ;)

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

As long as it isn't similar to that console "pro gamers" CoD... Sorry I canae type this with a straight face... But you know which gamer tournement I'm talking about right... Now that was some sad display boys and girls :P
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Language is just a medium for the expression of ideas and emotions. People who don't swear usually just replace those words with 'tame' versions (dang, crap, freaking, etc) that nevertheless convey the exact same idea or intent. As such, I don't care about swearing in the slightest.

However, use of racial / sexual slurs or other forms of bigotry are one of the only things we insta-ban for on our server, because that is an idea I have no tolerance for and will not make excuses or allowances for. I'll warn people first for using 'gay' in a negative context because it's so culturally ubiquitous that the word nearly has two separate identities, but if someone starts dropping overt racial epithets I just bring out the banhammer. No use wasting my breath on someone who thinks that's okay to do.

That sums it up pretty well. There's a big difference between a frustrated outburst and casually directing hatred at a specific person or a group of people. Even then it takes a lot to offend me personally. I'd link to a few Louis CK bits here, but I think they'd violate forum rules (ironically).
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    *yawn* another usefull thread. On a side note who loves orange soda?!
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    ColtColt wrote: »

Sympathetically,
    Colt

People aren't reading that I mentioned the servers NOT having the warning messages. Nor did I think this post would be taken so seriously lol. Hence it being in the general tab xD.

I think people, well me at least, are more amazed you're bothering to complain about this. If your sole point is that they had no server messages disclosing the rules, that's irregardless of the fact they obviously don't tolerate it so your problem is clearly solved. Either way you weren't welcome there. Perhaps the hit to the pride with the ban stings, but go find another server and move on with your life and show some maturity. It's plainly obvious if you can't make the very simple connection here on the forums you probably are just generally not a pleasant person to deal with on a server either.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2013
    Disco_Stu wrote: »
    NO Australian servers ban people for swearing. Why? Because we're f***ing awesome, that's why. You americans are just too damn uptight. Just f***ing relax aye ;)
    one word. doombringer. carry on.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    It's really not a big deal to me either way to be honest. I've been randomly kicked for worse, like having a high ping immediately after joining a server (when nearly everyone's ping shows up as 999).

Not if you increase the pressure instead.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's really not a big deal to me either way to be honest. I've been randomly kicked for worse, like having a high ping immediately after joining a server (when nearly everyone's ping shows up as 999).

Not if you increase the pressure instead.

In a closed system...
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    6 years in the us navy (I can cuss like a sailor)... Cursing may not offend me but it does show me how ignorant a person is.

The ability to swear in creative ways is often mistaken as a lack of vocabulary or intelligence. Sadly, this ridiculous myth lives on because of this mindless propagation...
    @Roobubba your right hearing people say...
    "you f***ing idiot f***, what the f*** are you f***ing thinking? Get your f*** ass to f***ing sub sector right f***ing now you f***ing idiot!!!
    ...is clearly a sign of advanced intelligence. (This is not an exaggerated representation of some players)

@ztrain My point is that you are complaining to the community and developers, not to the server operators. You bought the game, but they bought the server. Therefore this is not the correct forum to effect the Change you seek. Feel free to rent a server and operate it as you see fit or contact the server admins to receive clarification on why you were kicked.

The fact that you argue that there is no such thing as profanity makes me sad for you. I hope you win the lotto because growing up and entering the business world is going to be very interesting. And I sympathies for you future children, there is nothing sadder then seeing a 5 year old dropping the f*bomb in front of their parents.

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Roobubba wrote: »

The ability to swear in creative ways is often mistaken as a lack of vocabulary or intelligence. Sadly, this ridiculous myth lives on because of this mindless propagation...

Swearing (or not) and being offended by it (or not) is really a cultural thing more than anything else IMO. Perhaps some folks should use the common rule of thumb when joining a new forum board (to lurk a bit and see how things are done) to prevent a faux pas if they tend to have issues...

The fact is that a word or actions level of appropriateness is defined by the society. One may think it's ridiculous that showing the sole of your shoe could be insulting to anyone but the Arab culture would disagree.

Part of being a rational, mature, and cultured adult is recognizing the beliefs of those around you and respecting them. Because you as an individual do not constitute a society you can not define the appropriateness of a word. So until they stop bleeping cursing on ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC.... You can assume that society still finds a word offensive.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    Dear Ztrain,
    1-4.jpeg

Dear everyone else,
    It's the internet. People swear. Get some thicker skin. The only thing I believe someone can be kicked for would be racial slurs. Those words are used to provoke a specific reaction in someone of a culture/ethnicity. Something that isn't needed in a mature environment.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Language is just a medium for the expression of ideas and emotions. People who don't swear usually just replace those words with 'tame' versions (dang, crap, freaking, etc) that nevertheless convey the exact same idea or intent. As such, I don't care about swearing in the slightest.

However, use of racial / sexual slurs or other forms of bigotry are one of the only things we insta-ban for on our server, because that is an idea I have no tolerance for and will not make excuses or allowances for. I'll warn people first for using 'gay' in a negative context because it's so culturally ubiquitous that the word nearly has two separate identities, but if someone starts dropping overt racial epithets I just bring out the banhammer. No use wasting my breath on someone who thinks that's okay to do.
    This.
    This is how I admin In game.

I dont believe in censorship, but if you are trying to create a bad time for others, language isn't the issue anyhow, your poor behavior is.
This discussion has been closed.