Natural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    well, nice. thanks for update.

whats the best setting now? D3D9 Full/Window? D3D11? Do we still have to turn off Aero to reduce inputlag etc?
  • SadenkiSadenki Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187780Members, Reinforced - Gold
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES OMG YES !!!!

I'm gonna check soon, I hope there is no rollback now :)
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    I can now fully play in dx9 without any noticeable input lag. I also get slightly better performance compared to dx11.
  • exaltexalt Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184821Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Reminder: if you're experiencing the cursor in the main being offset simply toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode using alt-enter will correct the cursor position.

Tried setting the resolution back to where I had it and the issue came back, but I "alt entered twice" that did work. The work around till next patch, then.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah its a workaround but the game doesn't run as well in fullscreen windowed as it does in regular fullscreen, at least for me.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    Yea I can't even log in; black screen and menu music only... :(

Maybe Fox can look to see if it is just me when he gets home.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    "32bit players will still experience memory issues." You mean crashes by that or checkerboards? I hope not. Would be the 5th weekend for me with crashes and I thought 90% of this patch was dedicated to make the game stable for 32bit users?!

Thanks for stopping the "danger music". But why add even more news to the menu? Is there a way to disable them? I would rather want to see the background since I check the news in the forum anyways.

I started with a black screen. And it took a while to load the menu. That never happend before. In addition to that, the console is spammed with "couldn't load cached compiled shaders" messages. Same spamm appears if you "optimize". Is that a bug? Shall we ignore that? (**** that cursor bug is annoying).
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold

Aren't you running a Linux client, are you?

No.

• ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reminder: if you're experiencing the cursor in the main being offset simply toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode using alt-enter will correct the cursor position.

Thank you good sir!
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Great fixes, thanks guys. Better framerate on Biodome as well! So nass!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's the verdict on whether to use GPU Accelerated PhysX?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    We're working on a hotfix right now. With any luck we'll get it out tonight. This is why we usually don't do Fridays. /facedesk
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    "32bit players will still experience memory issues." You mean crashes by that or checkerboards? I hope not. Would be the 5th weekend for me with crashes and I thought 90% of this patch was dedicated to make the game stable for 32bit users?!
    There has been a lot of work to reduce memory and sort out some of the fragmentation issues which are leading to the 32bit crashes, that made it into this patch, but more work still needs to be done. This patch was originally intended to fix that completely, but as it is a pretty large problem to address and since there were a lot of other good improvements done, we figured it was worthwhile to put the patch out now, while work continues on the 32bit crashing side.
    I started with a black screen. And it took a while to load the menu. That never happend before. In addition to that, the console is spammed with "couldn't load cached compiled shaders" messages. Same spamm appears if you "optimize". Is that a bug? Shall we ignore that? (**** that cursor bug is annoying).
    That console spam is normal. It should only happen once since the version number changed on the cached files.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now we can really see the hit reg issues. First 5 mins I was merking all the filthy peasants. I noticed full shotgun rounds doing 0 damage. Blood goes everywhere, shotgun down skulks throat. Test your game please. AND FIX IT.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now we can really see the hit reg issues. First 5 mins I was merking all the filthy peasants. I noticed full shotgun rounds doing 0 damage. Blood goes everywhere, shotgun down skulks throat. Test your game please. AND FIX IT.

If you see Blood, it's not hitreg, it's lag.

• ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I don't know what happened, but now when I try to start the game all I get is a black screen. Steam overlay works, the pointer is visible, and if I move it around I hear it moving over the main menu options for ns2, but I can't see anything.

Local file integrity check came back clean. Might as well get started on uninstalling and reinstalling.

Deleting local content and redownloading did not fix the issue. Time to google search.

Hey there, I was having the same issue just a minute ago. I tried around a little and found a fix.

Go to the system_options.xml just like GISP described and set the device to d3d9.

Mine was set to d3d11 and started up clean when I changed it.

edit: grammar.

Just to clarify. I did wait some time so it could update files/whatever but it was stuck at black screen.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I said it before.
    if anyone has 'hitreg' issues run permanent with net_stats 1.

Big chance your on a server which is tanking its rates.
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    edited September 2013
    [img][/img]

I can confirm the b*tch is back.
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Argosh wrote: »
    I don't know what happened, but now when I try to start the game all I get is a black screen. Steam overlay works, the pointer is visible, and if I move it around I hear it moving over the main menu options for ns2, but I can't see anything.

Local file integrity check came back clean. Might as well get started on uninstalling and reinstalling.

Deleting local content and redownloading did not fix the issue. Time to google search.

Hey there, I was having the same issue just a minute ago. I tried around a little and found a fix.

Go to the system_options.xml just like GISP described and set the device to d3d9.

Mine was set to d3d11 and started up clean when I changed it.

edit: grammar.

Just to clarify. I did wait some time so it could update files/whatever but it was stuck at black screen.

Hey, thanks for the tip. Right before I saw this I ended up fixing it by using the instructions provided by GibbyLOL over on http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/118991/ns2-loads-to-black-screen

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Known issue: running the game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution in fullscreen mode causes the cursor to be offset slightly from objects in the menu.

does that only apply to Microsoft Windows users? Because I'm running the game in window mode and on a much lower resolution than my native desktop resolution and I don't have that bug, only difference is that I'm on Linux.

*edit

also to everyone running on Linux and having severe performance drops in-game compared to 255, set the frame sync to double buffered, the FPS in the main menu will drop (for me it dropped from 60 to 40), but in-game it'll rise to a level were it's somewhere between 30 and 40 (again, for my setup. I'm using a AMD HD5870)

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Well, than good luck with the fixes and thanks for the informations.
  • Dj_ESideDj_ESide Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35337Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sweet! Thank You, Unknown Worlds! Keep up the awesome work.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited September 2013
    We're working on a hotfix right now. With any luck we'll get it out tonight. This is why we usually don't do Fridays. /facedesk

Also biodome differs on server than client and people are getting booted for the consistency checks. Took it out of my rotation for now. Other maps may be affected but I'm not sure.

Update Descent too

TOPIC STARTED HERE
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Like I've always said : if you can provide video evidence of actual hit registration issues you will win front page credits, a copy of the game, and some other goodies from me. (video must be 720p 30 fps minimum, h264 compression, and net_stats enabled)

Until then, my guess is you are either missing the tight hit boxes, or experiencing high latency /low tick rate.
  • HaFFelHoFFHaFFelHoFF Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188374Members
    this black screen shit is so bullshit, srsly we are not beta testers and we should not been put up with editing some fucking configs, get the game right or don´t do the fucking upgrade, and btw try to help ppl on this thread as well for fuck sakes. ---> http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132463/black-screen-after-update-256#latest

And yeah i just made a fucking account here to rage about how retarded this is.........
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    the new Alien tech map UI is SO MUCH BETTER. Only thing I can point out is to remove dark gray and keep it as gray like the biomas icon. And instead have a different colour for dark gray so you can at least see the icons. But overall, GREAT IMPROVEMENT.

ps: Would be awesome to have a nice layer around the on the Alien tech map UI, so it wont be so squarish with the black lines :)
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DX9 still best for me
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    How can such big bugs get through the playtesting? :/
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    SeeVee wrote: »

Also biodome differs on server than client and people are getting booted for the consistency checks. Took it out of my rotation for now. Other maps may be affected but I'm not sure.

Update Descent too

TOPIC STARTED HERE
    I alerted the crew, they're on it. We tested specifically for this issue yesterday so we're a little perplexed as to how it managed to sneak in but we'll figure it out.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why is it everytime I join a game, the game stutters everytime I see something new on screen?