Natural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

G’day everyone! Build 256 is now live on Steam and your clients will update automatically over the next few hours. Official servers will drop offline momentarily while they are updated as well. We’ve broken our own rule: Never patch on Fridays. We do not normally patch on Fridays because on the off-chance we blow up the game, it is much harder to fix on a weekend than a weekday. But we feel unusually confident about 256, as it as been gestating for several weeks and not undergone too many changes over the last few days. Regardless of the day of release, as with most new NS2 builds, many mods will break. We suggest disabling mods until modders have a chance to …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Aaaaannnddddd here's a comment thread!
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    i was going to be first before hugh, but I noticed too late when steam was downloading as I was browsing the internet,
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • platovplatov Join Date: 2013-05-03 Member: 185111Members
    Thanks for hard work, guys! Good build.
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SnoweySnowey Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183020Members
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    GODDAMMIT, i just had a ninja tunnel up and the game boots me :(
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    Laughin!!!!
    Late night incoming :)
  • FursFurs Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188365Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    The game keeps getting better and better!
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    When I launch the game it asks me to optimize or skip, I cannot click on anything. The only way to exit is with Alt-F4. I've deleted everything in the "%appdata%\roaming\natural selection 2" and tried again but same dealio julio.

Anyone else got a broken UI?

EDIT: Ugh Nevermind fixed it. PC problem!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    -pANIC- wrote: »
    When I launch the game it asks me to optimize or skip, I cannot click on anything. The only way to exit is with Alt-F4. I've deleted everything in the "%appdata%\roaming\natural selection 2" and tried again but same dealio julio.

It freezes for a moment at that pop-up. How long are you waiting?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    Aaaaannnddddd here's a comment thread!
    Holy crap man, it's like magical and stuff. What's for your next trick :-O
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Free Gorge tunnels. I like that. Bundle them with a bus pass and bunch of food stamps, and you have a chance in some elections.

Seriously, good work. Did not expect it before next week.

And now, Mr. Scotty.... OPTIMIZE!
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Narfwak wrote: »

Same here, if you hit ESC that window disapear, but mouse pointer do not work properly if your resolution is lower than desktop one.

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    that looks awesome. Thanks for fixing the mouse 4, 5 and 6 buttons on Linux!

But the strange rectangle around my mouse cursor is still there.
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Encountered a small problem with the mouse and selecting options in the menu. Say if you wanted to back out of menu, or change a setting you had to place the mouse pointer about 5 or 6cm to it's top-left hand side, quite a way from the box itself. Haven't tried the build in game yet, they haven't even updated the servers I play on! It's been out 20 minutes already! (sarcasm for those who don't get it)
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Karba wrote: »

Same here, if you hit ESC that window disapear, but mouse pointer do not work properly if your resolution is lower than desktop one.

Yeah I have the same problem, mouse is offset by quite a bit.
  • HankyDHankyD Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188364Members
    I have a very odd bug that's been preventing me from playing the game for the last week or so. I switched one of my graphics settings to "OpenGL" to see if it would reduce lag, but when I went to start it up again a black screen came up, followed by a white screen and a not responding message. This has happened every time I've started the game, I have tried validating the game cache and reinstalling but I cant seem to fix it. I just tried build 256 and I still have this problem. If you can, please explain to me what the problem is and how to fix it if I can. Thanks!
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    custom reinforced taunt not fixed =((
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Karba wrote: »

I tried the resolution thing, it works. Thanks.

• -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Are there any differences between using D3D9 vs D3D11 other than the black screen and lack of 3D rendering in D3D11?
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HankyD wrote: »
    I have a very odd bug that's been preventing me from playing the game for the last week or so. I switched one of my graphics settings to "OpenGL" to see if it would reduce lag, but when I went to start it up again a black screen came up, followed by a white screen and a not responding message. This has happened every time I've started the game, I have tried validating the game cache and reinstalling but I cant seem to fix it. I just tried build 256 and I still have this problem. If you can, please explain to me what the problem is and how to fix it if I can. Thanks!

open %APPDATA/Natural Selection2/system_options.xml

search for "<device>OPENGL</device>" (Or something similar, I am not sure if it is "OPENGL" or some abbreviation) and change it to "<device>D3D9</device>"
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Main menu pointer is "off" unless you use your desktop resolution, or play in fullscreen windowed... this got through playtesting how?

It also applies to all in game menus.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Known issue: running the game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution in fullscreen mode causes the cursor to be offset slightly from objects in the menu. As a workaround you can toggle to windowed mode to fix your resolution by using ALT+ENTER to toggle windowed/fullscreen, or you can edit the config files to change your resolution manually. I'd recommend not playing the game at a different resolution than your desktop resolution right now if you're using fullscreen mode (either increase in game resolution, or if your system really can't handle it then decrease desktop resolution before you play the game).
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    See nothing in here regarding strafe jumping.
  • kais_4kais_4 Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157127Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Fixed bug where suicides counted as a kill in the score board" Many lols were had with this glitch! :D

Great patch UWE! Thanks for the hard work!!
    See nothing in here regarding strafe jumping.
    That is correct. Gorge tunnel research requirement being removed is the only balance change in this patch.