[Outdated] KNOWN ISSUES AND POSSIBLE FIXES

1235»

Comments

• Gooche_EsquireGooche_Esquire Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186142Members
    edited July 2013
    Hey zaggy,

I've tried all the steps including the clean install and nothing is working. When I hit play game on steam a black screen will briefly (2 seconds top) flash in and out on my screen then it crashes. Here is my Dxdiag info. And I am updated on steams end too.

http://pastebin.com/9L3nMQSC

Thanks for the help.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Hey zaggy,

I've tried all the steps including the clean install and nothing is working. When I hit play game on steam a black screen will briefly (2 seconds top) flash in and out on my screen then it crashes. Here is my Dxdiag info. And I am updated on steams end too.

http://pastebin.com/9L3nMQSC

Thanks for the help.

Hi Gooche,

Thanks for the dxdiag.
    Could you try launching the game with launch option "-w , this should start the game in windowed mode.
    If this fails, could you start a new thread in Tech Support please.

• ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Went through all the steps from the original post, including full reinstall. Running fullscreen windowed to at least get rid of the alt tab crashes. Currently game crashes when it's almost done precaching and when I should be entering the server. Running at 1024x768 with everything set to potato.

log
    http://pastebin.com/FPFLGzGb

dxdiag
    http://pastebin.com/E6CBCL9z

I've happily played NS2 on this machine before up until build 236-ish I think. Then it just started crashing like a maniac and I moved on. Wanted to check out new features, still crashing.
  • chunkysoupchunkysoup Join Date: 2013-09-17 Member: 188297Members
    Hello NS2 Techsupport and forum members,
    I am currently having a problem with the menu screen where every thing starts up fine and then when I am prompted for a one time optimization I click on it and nothing happens so I click skip it and it disapeares when I click on the normal button such as the following that do not work: play, train, and options the item I clicked on moves over and then just sits there with the awesome background and sound track going and nothing happens. I am so-so with the tech savi skills, I have followed Zaggy's advice one page one, I have not played this game in several months But! I did buy this game with steam on its release date, and had no problems and many happy months of playing the game.

log:
    pastebin.com/ymZRbMtq

dxdiag:
    pastebin.com/L91W2cbP

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Hi ChunkySoup, I found this in the NS2 Steam discussions forum:
    steverock 30 Aug 2013 @ 6:10am
    OK this solution worked for another player with the exact same issues, so try it:

Delete these folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\core\lua
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\lua

All paths relative to your steam directory of course. And then after deleting, go into Steam and re-verify your game cache (to redownload those particular files, only a few MB).
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846963165426276176/?fp=2#c846963165435339135
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zaggy have you got any advice for me in your bag of tricks? I'll come over and bring you a fresh nonnevot or some vlaai. :)
    ThinG wrote: »
    Zaggy have you got any advice for me in your bag of tricks? I'll come over and bring you a fresh nonnevot or some vlaai. :)

Try posting your techsupport.zip please, instructions taken from :
    You do a rightclick at Natural Selection 2 in your steam libary > Properties > Local Files > Search Files. Now the explorer will open the NS2 folder.
    Inside it there is a techsupport.exe. Run it. Afterwards post the generated tech_support.zip here.

Please create a new thread while doing so, include log and dxdiag as well please.
    Haha love it, saved!
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    "1. Run dxsetup" worked wonders when the game always minimized itself. Game has been freshly installed before.
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3178Members, Constellation
    An issue magically started to occur where when the game launches, it just stays minimized. If I try to maximize the game, it comes up, screen is black, the main menu mouse, and background sound launch, however it just minimizes again.

The only change on my computer from when it worked to when it didnt was I installed Adobe Creative Suite and Sins of a Solar empire :x
  • AZealousRetortAZealousRetort USA Join Date: 2013-10-23 Member: 188804Members
    edited October 2013
    An issue magically started to occur where when the game launches, it just stays minimized. If I try to maximize the game, it comes up, screen is black, the main menu mouse, and background sound launch, however it just minimizes again.

The only change on my computer from when it worked to when it didnt was I installed Adobe Creative Suite and Sins of a Solar empire :x

I have the exact same problem, and i did just recently install Adobe Creative Cloud, it is as if it crashes the display as my screen show the tag of what input it is on when the game reminimizes.

EDIT: Closing the Creative Cloud thing on the right side of the toolbar fixed this issue for me.