How often do you see people do this?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    my number 1 annoyance is definitely marines not listening.

A fault I do myself at times, and am always trying to remember to not do. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Idleray wrote: »
    My personal peeve as Marine comm is that we'd usually do quite well and then midway through the game the aliens start making a comeback with gorge bile-bomb attacks. It looks like everything's falling apart and then I take a look at the scoreboard.... multiple people on 100 res, most on 60+.

I've rage-quitted as Comm in some of those games. The way I see it, if the players don't want to contribute and just want to res whore for Exos, they do not deserve to win.

While I understand you, I do think ragequitting as comm is never, ever, excusable.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    My personal peeve as Marine comm is that we'd usually do quite well and then midway through the game the aliens start making a comeback with gorge bile-bomb attacks. It looks like everything's falling apart and then I take a look at the scoreboard.... multiple people on 100 res, most on 60+.

I've rage-quitted as Comm in some of those games. The way I see it, if the players don't want to contribute and just want to res whore for Exos, they do not deserve to win.

While I understand you, I do think ragequitting as comm is never, ever, excusable.

Why? A commander is also human. It also takes a lot more patience to put up with marines that doesnt listen than it does with a bad commander. Nothing prevents a marine to just enter the chair.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    kalakuja wrote: »
    noob com no meds when rushing gorgi

The thread is about marines who sit back and shoot hydras while getting outhealed by a gorge (either cause of shift or not enough marines or not focus firing or whatever) and wasting commander's tres for ammo/meds.

Not about commanders who don't med a marine trying to rush down a gorge.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter

The beauty of pres.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

That's another thing, when it's like 6-7 minutes into the game and some guy on the team says, "I have enough for an exo... are we getting those soon?"
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    frivolous gamers are frivolous.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I confess to committing this atrocious sin. I'm simply not a reliable enough a shot to spend +20 res on a shotgun + welder + whatever, so I tend to just hoard my res for dem exo goodness.

Only time I buy a shotty+welder combo is when we have so many bases it's actually worth your time staying home and defending them. Going frontlines with mah shotty with no jp? No thhhxxxx. :P

P.S. What up with researching shotguns on 0/0? Dats some bad voodoo. Or does w1 make a diff anymore in skulk one-shottability? Can't keep track of the shotty changes.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    w1 makes a huge difference. Shotguns with w0 are so bad that they aren't even really worth using. I, too, have seen lots of comms research shotguns before w1, and it's not a good time.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Damn it I was only 2 posts off from getting to bring up the farcry 3 quote.
  • megafinzmegafinz Join Date: 2013-09-16 Member: 188272Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey guys, no need to be that offensive.

I bet that the major portion of that "stupidity" comes just from a lack of experience. I have about 30 hours of play, and I really understand that I'm not a great player at all yet, so I try to watch videos, listen to more experienced guys and read some community stuff to gain some more knowledge, bla-bla-bla. When I was like 0 to 10 hours, I was totally like OH WOW WHAT DID I JUST PICK UP OH WOW THAT'S A SHOTGUN LET'S SEE WHAT IT'S WORTH!

The problem is that noobs have no chance to gain exp otherwise than play live games with cool guys like you. Bots could probably aid this shortcoming a lot, but, seriously, they suck big time, bot matches have nothing to do with live games at the moment. Merely useful to familiarize yourself with some basic commanding stuff. Probably future builds could introduce some advanced bot AI, but that's unlikely to happen, I believe. Community mods could help.

The other side of this problem is that more experienced players barely want to aid noobs. I like Hugh's position very much: be nice to people! I often see "pros" end up mumbling about how much their team sucks, instead of participating in the commanding process. You have no chance to find out what you did wrong, you just "suck", end of story.

I don't deny the fact that some players having a hard time learning stuff, but, seriously, be nice, be open-minded, and share your experience, the others would be grateful.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    I have seen 3 marines shoot at each other for almost a minute(on a free to play weekend),before they realize the game is not human vs human,but alien vs human instead.
    I bullshit you not...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Madd0g wrote: »
    I have seen 3 marines shoot at each other for almost a minute(on a free to play weekend),before they realize the game is not human vs human,but alien vs human instead.
    I bullshit you not...

I tried for so long to come up with a reply to this...and I couldn't.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    I confess to committing this atrocious sin. I'm simply not a reliable enough a shot to spend +20 res on a shotgun + welder + whatever, so I tend to just hoard my res for dem exo goodness.

Don't worry, one or a couple of rines saving up their pres isn't a sin it's when most of the team isn't doing anything with their pres even though the commander has researched shotguns and/or mines. Frustrating as hell. Some won't even bother buying welders. -_-
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    megafinz wrote: »

I bet that the major portion of that "stupidity" comes just from a lack of experience. I have about 30 hours of play, and I really understand that I'm not a great player at all yet, so I try to watch videos, listen to more experienced guys and read some community stuff to gain some more knowledge, bla-bla-bla. When I was like 0 to 10 hours, I was totally like OH WOW WHAT DID I JUST PICK UP OH WOW THAT'S A SHOTGUN LET'S SEE WHAT IT'S WORTH!

The problem is that noobs have no chance to gain exp otherwise than play live games with cool guys like you. Bots could probably aid this shortcoming a lot, but, seriously, they suck big time, bot matches have nothing to do with live games at the moment. Merely useful to familiarize yourself with some basic commanding stuff. Probably future builds could introduce some advanced bot AI, but that's unlikely to happen, I believe. Community mods could help.

The other side of this problem is that more experienced players barely want to aid noobs. I like Hugh's position very much: be nice to people! I often see "pros" end up mumbling about how much their team sucks, instead of participating in the commanding process. You have no chance to find out what you did wrong, you just "suck", end of story.

I don't deny the fact that some players having a hard time learning stuff, but, seriously, be nice, be open-minded, and share your experience, the others would be grateful.

Some good points there.

But on the other hand, you get sick of trying help them by force after telling them for five minutes straight to not go there, but there, please, and defend that room, or kill that harvester.

I usually try to help rookies, answer all the questions, give useful tips; and it works fine, if the rookie is responsive.
    But often they are as communicative as a brick.
  • Butane45Butane45 Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186444Members

Some good points there.

But on the other hand, you get sick of trying help them by force after telling them for five minutes straight to not go there, but there, please, and defend that room, or kill that harvester.

I usually try to help rookies, answer all the questions, give useful tips; and it works fine, if the rookie is responsive.

I find bricks to be very communicative. When one flys through the window of your house or car, you can effectively assume someone is unhappy with you.
    edited September 2013
    Butane45 wrote: »

Some good points there.

I find bricks to be very communicative. When one flys through the window of your house or car, you can effectively assume someone is unhappy with you.

Yes, but it's not the brick communicating with you. It's someone communicating through the brick ;)
  • megafinzmegafinz Join Date: 2013-09-16 Member: 188272Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That could be probably due to rookie not speaking english :) I play mostly on russian servers, and from time to time there are a couple of english speaking players that do not understand a single word the com is saying. In this case somebody can take a role of the Com Google Translate for those guys, I usually try to help in such situations. Doesn't work the opposite way though.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Actually, it's quite possible to kill the gorge even among the hydras, provided you keep moving or move to a place where hydras do not have LOS. Against gorges, you have to be extremely agressive, get as close as possible and pump her full of bullets, reload, it will die on second clip. If you are fast and com throws you a medpack or two, it's actually easy, boom, 8 res for gorge gone, plus 9 for three hydras. That's half a lerk that could give you great map control. And if you die, you just respawn.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    I've had a game as com where we (the marines) had most of the map, armor/weapons 3, exos and jetpacks, yet we still lost because every marine except one went his own way.
    After a lot of politely asking people to move to place X I just gave up.

How do we learn people map awareness?
    Or prevent people from herding together and only running to one spot all the time?
    That could be probably due to rookie not speaking english :) I play mostly on russian servers, and from time to time there are a couple of english speaking players that do not understand a single word the com is saying. In this case somebody can take a role of the Com Google Translate for those guys, I usually try to help in such situations. Doesn't work the opposite way though.

In Europe it's actually quite hard to find someone who doesn't speak any of the server languages; also, there are many server with country-tags.
    It's surely true for some, but it can't apply for all non-responsive players.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I bullshit you not...
    What... The...
    0rgC6.gif

• VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    I bullshit you not...

Damn casuals.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    "If I didn't succeed the nth time, I'll surely succeed the n+1th time. I'll show that gorge how tough I am and he won't show me up."

Fast forward 2 minutes - fades with biomass 6+/cara/adren appear, marines still with a0w0. Game over, do not pass go. A:M wins 70:30, UWE nerfs oni jump height and reduces buttock size. Repeat.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited September 2013
    Loke wrote: »

Don't worry, one or a couple of rines saving up their pres isn't a sin it's when most of the team isn't doing anything with their pres even though the commander has researched shotguns and/or mines. Frustrating as hell. Some won't even bother buying welders. -_-

I buy welders pretty often, but I don't usually buy other weapons until jetpacks. Feels like throwing my Pres away because I know I'm going to lose it in like 5 kills or less, and it also means I can't risk going after RTs or anything. Besides, I'm actually pretty decent with the LMG.

I still can't see how mines could be worth the price, 5 pres to maybe kill a skulk, nothing else and he can always just come back again in like 15 seconds.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I've seen mines do incredible things.....
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mines need a damage buff, I never see them get researched anymore :( which is a shame, they used to be the shizzle
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    AMB Go back to pugs, you're drunk.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I rage every time my fellow rookie aliens attack the RT instead of the big glowing Phase gate in the room. Even if you tell them to focus the PG atleast one guys goes bite the rt and one guy bites the power....
    Mines need a damage buff, I never see them get researched anymore :( which is a shame, they used to be the shizzle

Mines are very underrated in pubs I feel. I always research them though about the same time I finish PG. IF they are going to recieve any buff then I think that should be weapon upgrade scaling, or do they already do that?
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    edited September 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    I still can't see how mines could be worth the price, 5 pres to maybe kill a skulk, nothing else and he can always just come back again in like 15 seconds.

I always buy mines as I find them incredible useful if you now how to use them properly (i.e. not placing them in well lit open areas "HEY GUYS, THERE'S A MINE OVER HERE!"). Apart from mining up PG's and RT's they're also great for vents and around corners. Though to be honest I'd like them to be cheaper (not too cheap though or you'll get minefields).