New Alien Vision

Comments

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    What if alien vision had 3-5 presets you could choose from in the menu? Then people can use a variant that they want to use without fiddling around with the mods menu or subscribe in the workshop.

This would be perfect!! The community is already divided comp vs. pub ... 6v6 Vs 10v10. ... Etc. allowing the player to choose without a mod would add simplicity for the player and remove judgment from competitive players...
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My more honest opinion is that I think the change to AV was a precurser to a change in how the lighting works for all the rooms. The three seconds a room is made completely dark from a loss of power is the only time I consider turning on AV before the emergency lighting causes me to switch back. I believe they plan on introducing an alien mechanic for either gorges, drifters, or the Khammader to place a special structure on power nodes that were either destroyed or never built to kill lighting or make it dim enough to give a solid reason to turn on AV. Or to just have infestation do it automatically once it gets close enough.
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alien vision should improve a lot once they add the complete darkness in unpowered rooms. Right now it is briefly useful in complete darkness, and sometimes useful in auxiliary lighting and normal lighting. The color differentiation between enemies and terrain is just enough in most cases and is helpful for parasiting at long distances, even in lit rooms, but I can see its effectiveness dropping in close combat. The two changes I would like to see done to it are a small increase of contrast between terrain and structures/players as well as changing the color of text and the hud while it is on. Most alien stuff is orange, and becomes nigh impossible to read when alien vision is on, such as damage numbers or anything said in chat.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    And still not a word from the developers. Keeping your heads down on this one, @Hugh, @Sewlek, @Squeal_like_a_pig ?

If it's an intended feature that players on aliens should have headaches, then man up and say it.
    For the love of all that is reasonable, give us the option at the very least to change the colour of the highlights.

I'm a huge supporter of NS, I've been around here for donkeys' years and I care about the longevity of the game. The new alien sight is hopeless and gives me headaches. Worse, in comp matches I can't avoid it with mods as they're not allowed.

If you're not even prepared to defend your decision to remove the perfectly good old AV, what does that say? "We ****ed up here, fellas, better keep quiet and hope they forget about it"

• MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited September 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »

For the love of all that is reasonable, give us the option at the very least to change the colour of the highlights.

^^ THIS!!!

I actually can't use AV at all anymore because it's so harsh on my eyes. It has actually caused me to avoid rooms that are dark, and stop taking out power nodes.

It's sad that people like me are punished because others used AV 24/7. They not only screwed up AV so I can't play in dark areas without sore eyes. They also stuck us with that stupid outline when AV is off. (which as I said before, makes it much harder to track Marines)

As a result:

Players who had AV on 24/7 now keep it off 24/7 and nothing much has changed for them.

Players who used AV correctly are now punished with AV that causes eye strain when on, and makes Marines hard to track when off.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Completely disagree.

current AV does not hurt your eyes in any dark environment. I have eyes which are more sensitive to bright light then most folk I know, and I can use AV just fine.
    Perhaps you just have your gamma on idiotic settings?
    AV should not be used in light areas.

As for tracking with the outline, that is also opinion. I find it a lot easier.

In the end this entire topic is mainly filled with opinions stated as facts. Atleast I know im spewing opinion, rather then fact. Wish more would see themselves in that regard.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2013
    I like the new one. For those of you saying it is bad, thats because you are not supposed to use it when there is light, obviously.

Also I believe in the beta test video there was new alien vision, so why dont you stop ranting and start paying attention.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Completely disagree.

current AV does not hurt your eyes in any dark environment. I have eyes which are more sensitive to bright light then most folk I know, and I can use AV just fine.

In the end this entire topic is mainly filled with opinions stated as facts. Atleast I know im spewing opinion, rather then fact. Wish more would see themselves in that regard.

My headaches are a fact.

I do not want to take away your favoured vision mode(s), I want the old ones added in as an option so everyone can have what they want. I happen to think that's not unreasonable.

Also @coolitic : I'm not talking about AV 'F-on', I'm talking about the default normal alien sight. I've made that very clear. Unlike the alien sight, which is anything but clear in comparison to the old alien vision, which did away with all the texture clutter.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Completely disagree.

Wow... just wow. This post is so full of fail it's not even funny.

You begin by stating that AV does not hurt my eyes as fact...
    You then imply that nobody can have eyes more sensitive than yours...
    You follow it up with a thinly veiled insult by suggesting I have "idiotic" gamma settings...
    You ignore the fact that I stated I don't use AV in light areas...
    You state one opinion...

Then you wrap everything up by saying we're the ones stating opinion as fact, and that you are saying only opinions....

I lol'd.

• IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I....I will be honest, i stopped using alien vision.

However I do have a quick question - The guy who made the new vision, did he try switching the colors around. What I mean is, Make the world white, and the players orange? Just switch it around and try it out? Would that be easy to do? or can someone make a mod for steam works to try?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited September 2013
    Atleast I know im spewing opinion, rather then fact.

And there is the line really saying I know damn well everything I said is a opinion, not a fact.

I stated my eyes are sentitive. Nowhere I said others can not have more sensitive eyes.
    I did imply idiot gamma settings could be a problem, I never said only folk who have those settings have problems.

Also @Roobubba
    Im always for more options to choose from. :)
    @ironman there are mods that have changed the colors around, unfortunately they don't look as "cool" in a screen shot or in a teaser video so they won't make it in game...
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »
    New alien vision:

1: Half screen orange
    2: Entire screen orange

i wanna have no highlights, no lines just plain immersion in the map and the game, not glowing super neon orange colors across the entire map.

As he said, i don't understand why there isn't an option to not have any orange-help-line on screen.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep I've stopped using it all together now because it is fucking shit.

Especially in rooms where there's still quite a lot of light when the lights go out.
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    They changed AV because they wanted people to use it situationally, as a tool, involving decisions. Right?
    As of now, I use AV maybe 1% of the time, or less, in those few seconds when lights are completely off.

Before patch:
    AV - always on

After patch:
    AV - (almost) always off

Aside from colour schemes, CQC tracking etc...
    if the goal was to make people use their brains, and think whether to switch AV on or off... well, it's exactly the same as before.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    it's useless, andthe entire change negatively impacts my skulking. so I treat it as a massive alien Nerf. which might be fine, but they already nerfed the hell out of aliens and buffed marines moderately.

too many changes to even hope that they considered balance before they decided to implement them all. skulks still feel sticky, fades are nowhere near as good. gorges got nerded badly, timingwise. res model is all kinds of fed up, biomass doesn't give health boosts to a diverse team until you unlock...

they say they needed to push out new content for reinforced, and yeah, understandable. but what's the reasoning for rolling out balance changes at the same time?

none of what I listed is new content, except maybe vortex and stab... did they really playtest the hell out of the changes before then released them? the last time they touched balance, they tweaked it for half a year with actual players contributing to the fine tuning.

there was no pressing need to roll this out with reinforced, from what I gather. they got complaints from the playtesters about alien vision, and they ignored them. I haven't spoken to anyone who liked the older new alien vision, the one that literally was orange on orange and they hotfixed within a day.

a proper hectic release would have been to rollout the new content, and see how it affected the game balance. throw boneshield in, throw in the female skin, throwin the grenades, hell, throw in the strafe jump and jetpacks changes andexo changes, more options can only be buffs, or useless.

this was not a measured approach, and they deserve the anger they're getting for it.
    One thing I would like to say though, JUST incase.

TVs and Computer screens are, in most cases, very very badly calibrated from the manufacturer out. That means sharpness, contrast, brightness, colour, all are configured pretty bad.
    Enter stuff like dynamic contrast and it becomes even worse.
    Most computer screens can not even be fully calibrated by hand.
    (I just checked, my screen is just as bad)

For example..
    I have a dell P2211H on dvi, and standard it ships with a contrast and brightness of 75. If I run blackness tests with that, I dont see a single black bar (when I reset my monitor to default).
    /exaggeration... its as bright as the sun.
    /More serious.. brightness is often seen as awesome, so they pretty much all ship way way to bright and with way to high contrast.

If I try to calibrate by hand, meaning no dynamic anything, setting contrast & brightness to show both light and dark adequately... it fails. Its either to dark, or to bright. (I took a middleroad on the 'dark side' and gave up hehe)
    Many monitors can not be finetuned enought for 'perfect'. (depends on monitor price I assume)

What I am trying to say here is that some in this topic may very well suffer from very badly calibrated monitors. It may be worth it to check how close to perfection you can calibrate your monitor.
    A perfectly calibrated monitor shows all colors and black/white/greys exactly how they are supposed to be.
    For the folk who care:
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Note I didn't say there are not folk who still will suffer from brightness & eye pain even on 'perfect' settings, im sure there will be.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alien Vision
    1) Why is it important
    2) Why is it used

I'm here to give some feedback based on my personal experience playing as an Alien.

Okay. The reason why alien vision is an important tool is because it filters the clutter of engagements and allows focus.

What am i talking about?

Simple, when you move fast and you're flying wall to wall dodging people, its easy to get overwhelmed by the environment because you're playing in first person mode with melee combat.

The human brain will try to naturally filter out things, however it becomes hard to focus when there are multiple targets, colors, bullets, flares and explosions going on.

You have to constantly repositioning yourself to see targets then move back in to attack. This gives you a better overview of environment.

It is because the alien is melee in first person view that makes it challenging and sometimes disorientating. The alien vision help you focus and orientate yourself and is infact an important part of the game. And it also greatly adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I think it is a bad idea to focus on alien vision only being viable under certain conditions.

Alien vision does not create any sort of exploit. Sometimes Alien vision can be a hinder in itself. I find my self switching it on and off to gauge my environment.

And...yesterday i found myself using the new alien vision more, even though i enjoyed the other one more. Because there was just...way too much happening on the screen.

I use the current vision:
    * For dark to low light areas.
    * biting rts, and seeing the light marine, in a dark orange enviroment, walk towards me. (well, dark in comparison to)
    * For dark to low light areas.
    * biting rts, and seeing the light marine, in a dark orange enviroment, walk towards me. (well, dark in comparison to)

* For .... hmmmm..... oh wait I DONT USE IT
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited September 2013
    wopwop wrote: »
    They changed AV because they wanted people to use it situationally, as a tool, involving decisions. Right?
    As of now, I use AV maybe 1% of the time, or less, in those few seconds when lights are completely off.

Before patch:
    AV - always on

After patch:
    AV - (almost) always off

Aside from colour schemes, CQC tracking etc...
    if the goal was to make people use their brains, and think whether to switch AV on or off... well, it's exactly the same as before.

I turned the old AV OFF more often than I turn the new one ON. There were plenty of reasons to use normal vision prior to this abomination of an alien vision, it just wasn't primary.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm pretty happy.

Tracking without AV isn't too hard after all. Sure it's harder than with the old AV, but I'm damn glad seeing more than 2 colors. Yeah I'm such a fancy pants, enjoying pwetty graphics and all.

New AV works well for those pitch black rooms. Only problem is, it's a super rare occurrence.

Solution? MOAR DARKNESS! :ar! Longer blackouts before emergency lighting. Like REALLY longer. 4-5 times maybe.

Or maybe some completely new mechanic involving darkness.

Suggestion: If the new AV is supposed to work only in pitch black rooms, wouldn't it be easier to have an automatic transition effect when you enter a dark room, instead of a toggleable ability? Not to mention the transition would be cool as hell...
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Technically one could say that the new alien vision is always on, because it is. Now we have a toggled dark (or night) vision.

Personally I have no problem with the new alien vision, the passive outlines and slight tinge it gives is more than enough during lit engagements for me. In the dark when the power is cut, I turn on dark vision and it's still fine. The only issue I have, and it's slight, is that I think the contrast is a little low once emergency lights turn on- that's it.

I was happy to see the change from the hideous green on eye-straining orange, I never would have imagined this would ever become such a big deal for folks.

P.S. Incoming potential changes include permanently dark rooms once the power is built and then destroyed (until the power is built once again) which would give exponential importance to the toggled alien vision- think about it. [Source: BT Workshop Mod]
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    CD121 wrote: »
    Technically one could say that the new alien vision is always on, because it is. Now we have a toggled dark (or night) vision.

Personally I have no problem with the new alien vision, the passive outlines and slight tinge it gives is more than enough during lit engagements for me. In the dark when the power is cut, I turn on dark vision and it's still fine. The only issue I have, and it's slight, is that I think the contrast is a little low once emergency lights turn on- that's it.

I was happy to see the change from the hideous green on eye-straining orange, I never would have imagined this would ever become such a big deal for folks.

P.S. Incoming potential changes include permanently dark rooms once the power is built and then destroyed (until the power is built once again) which would give exponential importance to the toggled alien vision- think about it. [Source: BT Workshop Mod]

Alien vision is that orange and white abomination you get when you press the F key. Alien normal vision has some issues here, but it's not the main concern. The alterations to normal vision do not make it "technically also AV", it's still "normal vision" or some variant for sake of discussion.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I will agree, alien vision used to be a pretty much always on type of thing for me. The main reason was cause as fast as you have to move and dodge randomly it's pretty hard to keep track of a marine who is blue/grey/green, which tend to be the colors of the map. It's like marines almost blend in on a lot of maps so the heat vision type of outline made sense. Now everything is bright orange and it's just... not good. This whole whirl wind of changes.... just not good.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I used AV to be able to track marines (who are typically close to the same colors as the backgrounds like @Davil said) while I'm moving at a fast speed and in melee (where you typically have a smaller FOV on the target since they are within biting range). The new normal vision isn't bad, but I definitely have trouble with tracking which, imho, is a nerf to aliens (not commenting on if it's needed or not).

The new AV is used maybe .000000000000001% of the time by me. In a room with any light, the colors hurt my eyes after 2-3 seconds. In a room without any lights, it's useful, but the lights only stay off for around 1-2 seconds so I typically don't even bother turning it on. If the goal was to make people stop using AV, it was successful, but if aliens are supposed to be able to track their targets while running circles around them and only have brief glimpses of them as they circle and bite, then either AV or normal vision needs to make it so you can more easily track.

I'm fine with AV being a darkness only mode, but I'd greatly like it if the orange outlines were more prominent in normal vision and weren't so bloby when looking at a marine far away. Seems like the outlines are too thick at distance, but not thick enough close up... kinda seems backwards to me.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    Know pain wrote: »
    Vast majority of the NS2 community do not like the new AV but the devs have said it’s staying the way it is.
    Oh? You have run a survey on the NS2 playerbase asking for everyone's feedback on the new AV? Can you please display these results/link me?
    Vast majority of the NS2 community do not like the new AV but the devs have said it’s staying the way it is. So in other words the devs do not care about the community but still have the balls to ask for more money.

You are an idiot.

Yeah... the developers don't care about the community because a % of people don't like the new AV. Perhaps you should think of the big picture instead of your own personal reasons for why it was changed.

Any other wisdom bombs you care to drop?

Making blanket statements is retarded, you're opinion is simply 'i don't like the new av'.

fyi: Not a single person from my clan has complained or even brought up the new alien AV. I suppose good players never really used it...
    I want a version that has no outlining what so ever. Just the normal vision of the map
    This.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Vast majority of the NS2 community do not like the new AV but the devs have said it’s staying the way it is.
    Oh? You have run a survey on the NS2 playerbase asking for everyone's feedback on the new AV? Can you please display these results/link me?
    Vast majority of the NS2 community do not like the new AV but the devs have said it’s staying the way it is. So in other words the devs do not care about the community but still have the balls to ask for more money.

You are an idiot.

Yeah... the developers don't care about the community because a % of people don't like the new AV. Perhaps you should think of the big picture instead of your own personal reasons for why it was changed.

Any other wisdom bombs you care to drop?

Making blanket statements is retarded, you're opinion is simply 'i don't like the new av'.

fyi: Not a single person from my clan has complained or even brought up the new alien AV. I suppose good players never really used it...
    I want a version that has no outlining what so ever. Just the normal vision of the map
    This.

and those lines and your sentiment makes me believe that literally nobody likes the ground they've settled on. some people that they can't get grey on grey, others that the outlining is weak, and a large portion that hate what they did to alien vision in general. for me it's the anti anticluttering of the changes they implemented.
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still no response from the devs ? I'm disappointed . :|