New Alien Vision

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    -Edit: Dont even know how this got here, ignore-
  • MapiarzMapiarz Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187833Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Still don't understand the logic of removing an ability because you never turn it off. And then replace it with an ability you never turn on.
    Ditto. That's pretty much all there had to be said in this thread.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Shoot, people still complaining about av? I agree it seemed like an ugly, weird move, but adjust already. it's seriously not affected my gameplay at all. you can see the new outlines pretty well w/ out having av on.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    2cough wrote: »
    Shoot, people still complaining about av? I agree it seemed like an ugly, weird move, but adjust already. it's seriously not affected my gameplay at all. you can see the new outlines pretty well w/ out having av on.

AV was used to track marines in melee, the old AV was very good for this, much better than just outlines, and it was a much required advantage for aliens. Also, the new alien vision is ugly as sin and painful on the eyes and should never be a part of the game for that reason alone.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I never use the new alien vision at all now. I used to have old AV on permanently.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    @2cough I have adapted as well, but it still bugs me when my reflex hits "f" and my eyes start to burn..,
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Rabble rabble rabble *subjective opinions masquerading as facts* Rabble rabble rabble

Rabble rabble rabble *complaining about a feature that's always on when it was always turned on by the players anyway* Rabble rabble rabble

Rabble rabble rabble *complaining about a feature that doesn't need to be used with no consequence* Rabble rabble rabble

Rabble rabble rabble *can't adjust to a change in the enviornment while playing a game called Natural Selection* Rabble rabble rabble
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    AV should be reverted until a more useful AV is created. Even in the dark it's difficult to use and track marines due to them being a blinding white color.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    amoral wrote: »
    really, you could say exactly the same thing for marine flashlights, there's literally no reason not to have it on the entire time... except in certain circumstances.

False. Flashlight shows aliens which way you are looking. It can also give away your position since it seems to pierce walls. I almost never use it unless the power just went out. Even though Im not fond of the old AV, it seems we have reversed it. I never turn on AV now unless the power just went out lol
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @maD_maX_ i feel ya man, I used to be a constant av'er, but as far back as 237 when I first got ns2, I felt like av was so cheap, but got used to using it all the time.

@sotanaht I know, and I think the new av actually makes it harder for tracking, but i really feel like I dont notice anymore. I dont think I agree that it was much required, but since it was so easy and beneficial to use, you'd have been dumb not to. But imo, the new outline addresses that prob. Plus once I'm able to get aura, I have a good idea of where I'm gonna be chompin anyways.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    it was a much required advantage for aliens.
    Desther wrote: »
    I never use the new alien vision at all now. I used to have old AV on permanently.

I don't complain at all because I rarely used AV if ever. Only when the power went out which is how they wanted you to use it. I have friends that always had it on as well and I for one am glad they made the change. It may have given an advantage but not a "required" one. Learn to fight without it. I don't see any negative effect on gameplay with the new AV. Although, I still never use it.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »
    really, you could say exactly the same thing for marine flashlights, there's literally no reason not to have it on the entire time... except in certain circumstances.

False. Flashlight shows aliens which way you are looking. It can also give away your position since it seems to pierce walls. I almost never use it unless the power just went out. Even though Im not fond of the old AV, it seems we have reversed it. I never turn on AV now unless the power just went out lol

@joshhh and old AV made it more difficult to see those flashlights. the two were very parallel, if everybody was using AV, it was safe to leave flashlights on, but you should toggle it in certain scenarios.
    @vengaboy for the record, I didnt say that, i was quoting someone before me.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    edited September 2013
    Haven't been playing much after the reinforced cos most of it sucked including the performance. And those few hours have been on marines because they made aliens so weak and because that wasn't enough they made alien vision some stupid LSD vision that blinds u. Not gonna donate money for making the game worse.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not usually one to criticize UWE's decisions but alien vision is absolutely awful right now, far too bright and fugly, cant really see the thought process behind it. Would like to see Huze's alien vision implemented.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I've gotten somewhat used to the default vision now, but its still a pain.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, must say that the AV change didn't really solve anything. Now no one uses AV as opposed to virtually never using normal vision.
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    casan0vax wrote: »
    Like I said before, if UWE wanted everyone to use AV, they'd remove the option to play without it: they'd make it the only vision available. When a feature of the game is unanimously utilized, without drawback or penalty, then there's something wrong with it.

You mean like the strafe jumping and reloading while jumping?
  • DecoDeco Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71288Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also, this is important:

I mentor a lot of rookies in Australian servers, and they too have complained about the alien vision.

I tell them "Use it, you'll develop better reflexes and be able to spot unexpected mines."
    At least 7 have complained, so it's not just those who were spoilt with the older alien vision.
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Deco wrote: »
    637x358.resizedimage

Minimal Alien Vision is exactly what the vanilla alien vision should be like.

The textures of the room don't change at all, but there is a very soft grey outline to everything. Also, marines and structures are highlighted.

They say they want you to admire the art of the game... well, orange EVERYWHERE is horrible.

My vote: Minimal alien vision with a slight orange tint.

I use this mod, it works wonders and makes me appreciate the level designs at times Vs an ALL ORANGE display.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @2cough Forgive me if you're a better comp player than me - there are many who fall into this category and I don't know all of them by name. Keeping track of marines in close quarters combat, especially with FF on, is an absolute horrid mess now for aliens. Normal alien vision is too cluttered. The black/orange or old green/orange AV is just so much better because of the lack of visual clutter from inclusion of textures along with teammates, buildings and opponents all highlighted in the same colour at the same time, but only with outlines.

I'm sure there are plenty of the comp players in div 2 and 1 (and those who are better than me in the lower divisions, too), who may not mind the changes, but I know I am at least not alone amongst my competitive brethren in absolutely despising this change to alien sight. @Hugh @SteveRock @Squeal_Like_A_Pig @sewlek please for the love of God guys hear our complaint about this.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @vengaboy for the record, I didnt say that, i was quoting someone before me.

The record has been fixed
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Old AV was significantly less cluttered, it was much easier to pick out enemy players and buildings. Now I have a hard time distinguishing enemy players from terrain/surroundings. I'd like a different color outline, or a thicker outline to enemy players and buildings at the very least.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    @chikun Thanks for the clear argument, although its much clearer then the reasons the DEV's game us for the change. We shall continue to "rabble" until we have a reason.

At this point what I want, Is for someone to explain WHY they made this change. BY someone I mean @hugh @swelek @squeal_like_a_pig someone whose opinion has some weight to making changes. At which point either we may understand their reasoning, find some compromise, or at least be able to make arguments that are directed at the issue.

Granted the DEVs dont need to explain, but historically they have been very transparent and its frustrating to have such a big change (that has frustrated a large number of players) get swept under the rug.

If they have made an official response i apologise for not finding it...
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What if alien vision had 3-5 presets you could choose from in the menu? Then people can use a variant that they want to use without fiddling around with the mods menu or subscribe in the workshop.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    New alien vision:

1: Half screen orange
    2: Entire screen orange

i wanna have no highlights, no lines just plain immersion in the map and the game, not glowing super neon orange colors across the entire map.
    @Roobubba to be honest, I've only played about 56 hrs since 252 was released, probably only like 16 - 20 of actual games. I've given up comming/playing in vanilla because I'm one of those gross 32-bitters (for now) experiencing the crashes. So, in the mean-time I've been playing pretty much only on combat servs since I can run that like 10X longer w/ out crash. That said, my experience is coming from combat so far more than actual play. But even clusters of marines in combat, I feel like I'm still able to track at least enough to land bites without AV on, it's definitely more difficult. I think the more difficult thing for me has been adjusting to marine jumping beans and trying to get better at predicting their movement. But the new bunny-marines coming at the same time as the snowblind aliens, I gotta agree was poor timing. No time to adjust to one or the other, compounds the problem.

Still stickin to my thinking that the former av was a little op, though. Hopefully tweaks will come out down the road to find a median.