3-4 marines, doing the same thing over and over the entire game

1. spawn from ips
2. spots a gorge hideout with hydras
3. spend all their ammo on the hydras while the gorge heals it from behind
4. get killed by hydras, gorge spit, skulks
5. re-spawn
6. run back to the same place
7. repeat

So the real question here is, why do people do this? How does the human mind work? My take on this? People do it because this is exactly what they do in games like Call of Duty, you spawn, you run to the last location where you saw hostiles, you try to get some kills there, you die, you re-spawn and you repeat.

*Edited title to be less offensive -Ironhorse*

Comments

• SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    'Retard' as in a mentally handicapped person?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Maybe it's lock on the hydras... mentally of course.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    Veil is the best. I've seen Marines lose that map because they keep focusing on the sole Gorge in Skylights vents. Instead of just 2 marines getting into the vent and kill the Gorge, they spend the first 10 minutes trying to shoot the Gorge from outside of the vent with a single marine getting into the vent from time to time (easily killed). It's fun to see 3-5 marines kept busy by a single Gorgie :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Especially stupid when you can just walk the other way around (e.g. a gorge blocked cafe - landing pad, but not cafe - central).

And no matter how often you tell them, they go via landing pad.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Especially stupid when you can just walk the other way around (e.g. a gorge blocked cafe - landing pad, but not cafe - central).

And no matter how often you tell them, they go via landing pad.

A thousand times this. Bunch of people doing nothing but wasting ammo, when you can just rape that gorge by entering elevator from the hub...
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kalakuja wrote: »
    noob com no meds when rushing gorgi

This. Comms that don't support their marines midfight with any lifeform should just stop commanding all together. Backseat commanders, hate them with a passion.
    Worst have to be the ones that think they are smart by rushing prototype with no W/A upgrades and ignore shotguns.

I've lost way too many games where 2-3 marines or more are distracted by just one gorge either in a vent or blocking an entrance. Either rush in and try to kill the gorge as a team with medpack support, go around and flank or just ignore it and secure another position if there are multiple gorges/skulks protecting.

• EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whenever I'm on marines and there's 3-4 just shooting at hydras in some corridor, I show the example, run past the hydras and kill the gorge (naturally I usually die doing this, but it's worth getting all those rines to do something).
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RaZDaZ wrote: »

This. Comms that don't support their marines midfight with any lifeform should just stop commanding all together. Backseat commanders, hate them with a passion.

Supporting stupidity isn't the way.
    If there is a better way to accomplish this task, and it was mentioned by other players or comm and they keep doing it wrong, they should learn the hard way.
    I cease to support people who ignore my orders and keep being ineffective. There are people who ignore my orders and are effective, and those who listen to me and are not good still, those are supported no matter what. Not even speaking of those who are good and stick to the plan.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    One of my favs is when gorges block the south entrance at either repair or ET on tram. People spend so long trying to break through forgetting you can just walk in from hub shooting right at the gorges killing them.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I usually support my marines always - except when they do what I just told them not to do.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not cool to use the word "retard."

That being said, this drives me crazy to no end. I can't tell you how many rounds I've lost, usually on Veil, because half of my team spends the entire game trying to kill a gorge in the skylights vent. This tends to happen to me when I'm commanding, and even though I tell them not to focus on Skylights, that if the aliens are putting so many lifeforms there it will be easy to take the rest of the map, they just keep on going. Sometimes they will even use their mics and tell the rest of the team to go to skylights because "we really need that RT."

That being said, this drives me crazy to no end. I can't tell you how many rounds I've lost, usually on Veil, because half of my team spends the entire game trying to kill a gorge in the skylights vent. This tends to happen to me when I'm commanding, and even though I tell them not to focus on Skylights, that if the aliens are putting so many lifeforms there it will be easy to take the rest of the map, they just keep on going. Sometimes they will even use their mics and tell the rest of the team to go to skylights because "we really need that RT."

Well, if you own both Sky and Sub, that gorge can deny you 2/5 of your RTs - but with a bit of teamwork, you can easily enter the vent in Overlook.

Few seem to know this, and I agree with you.

And Nano is overrated sometimes. Fully packed team kills one hive out of two, naturally, they should go and finish the last hive. And what do they do? Go to nano. Why would you need nano if you are all exo and jpers already? So they waste time killing every structure and then asking to drop everything droppable in there, while aliens getting new hive up again.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Well, if you own both Sky and Sub, that gorge can deny you 2/5 of your RTs - but with a bit of teamwork, you can easily enter the vent in Overlook.

Few seem to know this, and I agree with you.

Usually, I'm talking more about going around the rest of the map, because this tends to happen when the aliens start in Sub. With 2/3 gorges and even more skulks up in skylights, it's easy work to simply walk around the rest of the map and grab pipeline and maybe even cargo.

I think it's just a problem that arises with this game, since a lot of the time the best thing to do is to go where the enemies are not... People are used to games that are only about combat so when they see a bunch of enemies attacking one of our natural RTs they figure that the best course of action is to defend it, but in a game like this a lot of the time the best course of action is to let them hold skylights and focus on the rest of the map.

I just wish people would actually listen to what their commander is telling them. In any given game I command my team is roughly 45% noobs who don't seem to listen at all, 45% backseat comms who are convinced they have a better strategy than I do, and 10% people who actually cooperate and help the team.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    A comprehension of value for your actions only comes after much play, and for some, never comes. These "retards" prob have less than 20 hours of play, but if not, I totally agree, they are prob not the brightest people.
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    A comprehension of value for your actions only comes after much play, and for some, never comes. These "retards" prob have less than 20 hours of play, but if not, I totally agree, they are prob not the brightest people.

This is certainly accurate, and I don't fault a player with <20 hours of gametime for not knowing what is actually useful. My problem is that they refuse to listen to people who have clearly played the game much more than they do and have a better idea of what must be done to win games.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Another great spot is in Mineshaft at the Gap, when marine base is in operations.

Move around in the chasm in obs range and bite every now and then, result: 2-3 marines trying to find out where you are.

Some even drop into the chasm trying to shoot you. :D

It's not actually surprising, it's hard to remember that NS2 is also RTS, and in an RTS time is of the essence.

Basically, you should always think like this: While YOU'RE doing THAT, someone on the OPPOSING TEAM is doing SOMETHING ELSE. How likely is it, that the thing you're doing is more useful?
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Xen32 I didn't say that I support ignorant players but I'll definitely agree with not supporting stupidity. Despite that, I'll still drop a medpack or two to keep them alive in a tough spot that might turn the tide despite them being obnoxious. My main point was how little public commanders use support of their own initiative. How often do you see public commanders that drop meds/ammo even when people don't ask for them? Even if those players are contributing immensely? It's almost never because all they are focused on is tech and don't understand how important medpacks are.
    With 2/3 gorges and even more skulks up in skylights

Lol. Never seen that many :D
    I just wish people would actually listen to what their commander is telling them. In any given game I command my team is roughly 45% noobs who don't seem to listen at all, 45% backseat comms who are convinced they have a better strategy than I do, and 10% people who actually cooperate and help the team.

So true. Although 10% may be a bit optimistic.

But seriously, I wonder about these people daily. Given, not everybody's good at english (Europe here), but you have to know at least a basic amount to play the game, as the GUI is english.
    2/3 gorges is less common, but I've seen it, lol.

One time I just sat in that vent and bit the air over and over again. I ended up getting 3-4 marines to just sit by the vent and wait for me to come out, which of course I never did :D
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Hydras kill marines like crazy, especially if not focused on. This pretentious wanker post is as pretentious as the rest of you wankers that responded. Engaging the gorge, which is by far the most cost-effective and dangerous alien on the team, is noble, valuable, and profitable, but only if you're not a dumbass marine that gets killed.
    2/3 gorges is less common, but I've seen it, lol.

One time I just sat in that vent and bit the air over and over again. I ended up getting 3-4 marines to just sit by the vent and wait for me to come out, which of course I never did :D

Yes. You can be very effective even as a single skulk. Especially if you manage to parasite the marine(s) that you distract. Just switch between Sky and Overlook and drive them mad.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Sammey wrote: »

Nope, retard as in fully functioning person that is too stupid/lazy to use their brains for anything other than responding to the first thing they see.

I hear MMORPGs are full of them :P

• AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Zalamael wrote: »
    Sammey wrote: »

Nope, retard as in fully functioning person that is too stupid/lazy to use their brains for anything other than responding to the first thing they see.

I hear MMORPGs are full of them :P
    Savage burn :D lol
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    This can work, gorge nests are not so tough you just have to focus the hydras. 1 gorge can easily outheal a single rifle marine shooting a hydra, and the fact that the heal is aoe means he can outheal many as long as they target diff hydras.

Also people do this cause they have no clue how to play game.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My problem is that they refuse to listen to people who have clearly played the game much more than they do and have a better idea of what must be done to win games.

Listen to other players and show actual team-work? What kinda daft idea is that. Never had to do that in call of dooty.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013

This a thousand times. No joke I say on mic "I'm going to rush this gorge in x comm, prepare to med me I'll need help." I run in and die after almost killing it :|

They are aware until the gorge dies you can't take the area right?
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    On the Internet everyone but yourself appears to be stupid.

One of the unwritten laws of the Internet.

Also, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different result.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My personal peeve as Marine comm is that we'd usually do quite well and then midway through the game the aliens start making a comeback with gorge bile-bomb attacks. It looks like everything's falling apart and then I take a look at the scoreboard.... multiple people on 100 res, most on 60+.

I've rage-quitted as Comm in some of those games. The way I see it, if the players don't want to contribute and just want to res whore for Exos, they do not deserve to win.