Massive FPS loss, and Weird Mouse Movement

124»

Comments

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe

Thanks to Samusdroid (Orphan Black) for picking up on this ! :-)

Yup, this fix is the best one so far. B-)

I tried this as well and it did help a lot, however the game still does not feel as smooth as before, I still get some microfreezing during early fights, and one very annoying thing is I noticed whenever I fire the shotgun with marines my screen microfreezes, maybe only for .05 seconds but its enough to throw off my (already questionable) aim big time.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    After aero disabling, try swapping back and forth between full screen and Windowed. As well as toggling mouse acceleration on and then off, and raw input off and then on.
    Finally, ensure to jack that FOV up in your options... It unfortunately defaulted to the lowest setting this patch, giving the feeling of being slow and floaty.

I didn't have my FOV go back to default, sounds like this only occured to some (or maybe just you?)

yeah, that sounds like a problem I've had before, where the game decided I was a rookie again, andthat I'd like a retarded fov. not too bad, im partial to the green text.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    joederp wrote: »
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

I tried this as well and it did help a lot, however the game still does not feel as smooth as before, I still get some microfreezing during early fights, and one very annoying thing is I noticed whenever I fire the shotgun with marines my screen microfreezes, maybe only for .05 seconds but its enough to throw off my (already questionable) aim big time.

Probably a long shot here, but have you tried changing your particle effects in the options? Even if it's set to low already, try setting it to high and see what it gives.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    So where on the FOV slider is the 90 for default marine?
  • tchontchetchontche Join Date: 2009-08-11 Member: 68423Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I have the same thing, when i use mouse mouvement, there are a little delay... I'm running on Windows 8 Professionnel 64 bits.

The problem arrived when the Build 254 was available.

A new build incomming?? A fix next update?

Thanks for your attention,

Tu SorS | NS2-Fr.com ,
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    countbasie wrote: »
    So where on the FOV slider is the 90 for default marine?

Why is it (and sens) not a number value instead of a slider again?
  • javey93javey93 Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186630Members
    edited September 2013
    joederp wrote: »

Unfortunately, disabling 'Aero' or ticking "Disable Desktop Composition" on the Exe isn't an option for users on Windows 8. I can't even end DWM.exe (Win8 version) as some websites claim I should try and do, because it's required 24/7 for the metro start screen. It seems UWE don't have a copy of Windows 8 in the office or on the list of playtesters!
    2u69.png
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    With the new patch I have reverted ns2.exe to run as normal and my FPS is back to normal. However, I am still seeing some microfreezes during times where I give damage or take damage from other players.. which is quite obviously a very bad thing for winning fights. I also had my first total lockup last night! Repeating sound and everything.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    javey93 wrote: »
    It seems UWE don't have a copy of Windows 8 in the office or on the list of playtesters!

I hope that's a joke. Maybe that's why so many people have issues on Windows 8 and performance.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    Although disabling aero for NS2.exe removed the input lag almost entirely, today I tried to play the game on my native res (1920x1080 which ran fine before, but prefer 1280x800 for the extra fps) and the input lag was INSANE. It feels like a 100ms delay. DX9.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Shouldn't have any on DX9 fullscreen, if you do it's not the games fault, THAT mode is fixed.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have any on DX9 fullscreen, if you do it's not the games fault, THAT mode is fixed.
    tbh, i think higher fps is masking mouse issues. When you get sudden fps tanks (like getting beaconed back to some crazy action packed room), the mouse does indeed become very delayed on dx9/raw input/fullscreen. Feels like the sensitivity suddenly becomes much lower as well during those scenarios.

It's weird. Atleast for me, mouse responsiveness is very dependant on fps.
    edited September 2013
    Hm, I run around on 170fps most of the time, and it performs fine. If there is mouse lag in dx9 fullscreen then something else on your pc is messing with priority.

EDIT: If your RAM almost hits capacity the game starts lagging really bad too.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    If you read some responses after the patch you will know a lot of people still have issues regarding input lag and micro-freezes/stutters. None of these I had before these patches (the update before reinforced introduced it).

If you have a high spec PC it's probably not noticable. Guys with not so good PC's always notice when there's even a 10fps difference in a new patch.

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited September 2013
    elodea wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    tbh, i think higher fps is masking mouse issues. When you get sudden fps tanks (like getting beaconed back to some crazy action packed room), the mouse does indeed become very delayed on dx9/raw input/fullscreen. Feels like the sensitivity suddenly becomes much lower as well during those scenarios.

It's weird. Atleast for me, mouse responsiveness is very dependant on fps.

I get this a lot also. Sometimes I'll have a high FPS but everything feels so sluggish and unresponsive. Mouse feels like shit and I get bad stuttering. I run everything on low using dx9. I've tried fullscreen, windoded, fullscreen windowed and it's all the same.

Another thing I noticed, turning on medium or high textures makes the problem 20x worse.
    HerZeLeiD wrote: »
    If you have a high spec PC it's probably not noticable. Guys with not so good PC's always notice when there's even a 10fps difference in a new patch.

That's BS. If you haven't noticed, quite a few ppl with high end systems have been complaining about it. Maybe your idea of a high end system is a $2000 machine?
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I was sat at 140 fps pre reinforced and the first patch dropped me 60 frames, I god damn noticed.