Xbox or PS4 Controller??

DetonNationDetonNation Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188103Members
Maybe Im the only one.. ;) Im really enjoying NS2, I think a controller would be a huge boost in game playability. To me its a royal pita to be slamming keyboard keys and moving quick. A game like Diablo 3 works well with the mouse for example... but you really need quick reflexes and the keyboard really slows you down. It doesnt seem like the amount of keys are too many for a controller conversion. Maybe some stay on the keyboard idk. Any opinions, thoughts?

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Too many more keys than there is on either controller for one.
    And tracking skulks on a controller? Gunna be too hard.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You will never aim as fast with a controller as with a mouse. But there are tools to Map keys to XBOX controllers so you can try it for yourself.

But I would recommend one of these:
    Logitech_Driving_Force_GT_fullres.jpg
  • DetonNationDetonNation Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188103Members
    Lol... So I could set it up with a plugin or app. I have a black adder mouse which is pretty good you can map 3 of the buttons. I know razer has the diablo or mmo mouses mieces. I can't imagine remembering what button does what. Couldn't you just set the controller to turn really fast to follow skulks. Idk. It seems to have it as a supported option might be a good way to go
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not about the speed, it's more about the precision. There is a reason why they don't mix Console Multiplayer with PC Multiplayer. (And why most Console FPS have an aim assist)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Controller vs Mouse in FPS... Oh boy, you just entered a world of pain. :D
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    image.jpg

Lol, I used this to use my keyboard and mouse with an Xbox back when halo first came out.... Everyone used to laugh at me when I showed up to the LAN party with a keyboard/mouse (until I started destroying them all)

@_Neckro_ Lol, but we all know keyboard>controller... ;)

so much win, that'd sure make an Xbox more bearable... naw, i'll keep my PC :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I have a mouse/keyboard setup I used to use for PS3 cod4 back in the day. The only problem was there was mouse accel and you couldn't disable it. lol Still better than aiming with a thumbstick.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 has no aim assist and mostly consists of fast movement with twitch or careful tracking aiming. Now without aim assist you're just going to hurt yourself and the ones around you, due to throwing the controller at some random person in your vicinity after a while :P

With that out of the way, there are indeed ways to do this as posted in this thread...
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    Just imagine using a programmable mouse and keyboard with Xbox (woot macro). "Oh that combo, I just hit mouse 9"
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    but you really need quick reflexes and the keyboard really slows you down.

What the... People these days. You should never play anything that has a cursor or a crosshair with a controller, just as you should never play driving games or something like Arkham Asylum on a keyboard. That's just... ugh.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I like playing driving and fighting games on a keyboard. Only time I use a controller is for PS2 games I emulate and the very occasional 360 title I never finish.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    Can you imagine playing as a Lerk with a gamepad? Damn. The sensitivity would have to be insanely high, but then you will lose all precision as well.

Gorge & Onos would be do-able. :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Playing with a Wacom is fun as well, you can make spinning moves really fast using the ring. Not very useful, but funny in any case!
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    B3rT wrote: »
    You will never aim as fast with a controller as with a mouse. But there are tools to Map keys to XBOX controllers so you can try it for yourself.

"Hold on while I shift my skulk from 1st into 5th gear"
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Am I the only one who actually wants to plug in my racing wheel and see what happens?

• Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited September 2013
    You can use a pad to play NS2, but it would be like competing in Tour de France on a unicycle. Unless you're some kind of joypad prodigy you'll get your ass handed to you, so I wouldn't recommend it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    B3rT wrote: »

"Hold on while I shift my skulk from 1st into 5th gear"

Not a 5th gear skulk!!! Anything but that!
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually wants to plug in my racing wheel and see what happens?

Like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=zQBAj8zj6cM
    LOL that's amazing.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    LOL that's amazing.

Indeed!
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hahaha good stuff guys, now we need one with the NES Rolling Rock or the NES Power Glove :D
  • DetonNationDetonNation Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188103Members
    Ok Mouse it is!!! :) Ill pick it up... Love the game anyways!
  • ShnagenburgShnagenburg Join Date: 2005-07-04 Member: 55235Members
    I actually did this once; alien was playable, marine was much harder. Keep in mind that most console games (Halo, CoD, etc) have really subtle aim assist that ns2 doesn't have. I set up joy2key to have an "iron sight" button that lowered the sensitivity while held. That way by default its high so you can spin around and shoot fades, but it could be lowered it for shooting skulks down hallways. It was fun to sit on the couch and play on big screen, but don't expect to get the same KDs you're used to!

I used
    joy2key:
    http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey English Version.htm

and a wireless xbox 360 controller with a pc adaptor:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1378903282&sr=8-14&keywords=wireless+360+adapter

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013

It was funny for a little bit, but now it's time to leave this place.
    You can use a pad to play NS2, but it would be like competing in Tour de France on a unicycle. Unless you're some kind of joypad prodigy you'll get your ass handed to you, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Racing a formula 1 car around a circuit riding a lead cube sounds a bit more appropriate. The unicycle can actually compete.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Just imagine using a programmable mouse and keyboard with Xbox (woot macro). "Oh that combo, I just hit mouse 9"

There already is such a device - it's called XIM3 (or actually the new XIM Edge). The XIM Edge works with PS3 or XBox, but the problem with this device (and other clones such as the one MadMax posted) are that you can never get around the look mechanic of console games. They have a limit on their turn speed so it will never be like playing a game natively on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. With that said, in most games it will absolutely let you destroy console players who are using a controller.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    snaga wrote: »

What the... People these days. You should never play anything that has a cursor or a crosshair with a controller, just as you should never play driving games or something like Arkham Asylum on a keyboard. That's just... ugh.

Driving is actually the ONLY type of game where a controller is superior to a keyboard, but a wheel is better than both. Action games like Arkham or what have you are still played perfectly fine on a keyboard and mouse if their controls are properly bound and set up. Really though it's the keyboard that drags down the combo, it simply isn't as well designed as it could be for gaming.