Build 255 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

13»

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Still crashes after 10 minutes. Seems there's some memory leak or something.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    cpt000 wrote: »
    UWE, please stop messing balance and just focus on the netcode and performance please. Heavy action scenes are still a mess of random jumps/warps. Eye candy/Balance is no where as important as the gameplay, especially for the new player and retaining players. I've played over 700 hours and it's tiresome to keep adjusting my gameplay and learn new stuff. Just for once, can you please stay away from the balance (unless really critical) ...

UWE is a team of people each with their own specialization and function. Andi Sewlek (As you see in balance test.) does all the balance tweaks right now and new gameplay features, and basically focuses on that, meanwhile we got three other coders working on performance/engine updates pretty much all the time. So just remember when you make that argument that UWE is a team of individuals each with a specific focus all of them together are constantly working on engine improvements, as well as the balance improvements, new features and art work.

• A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    cpt000 wrote: »
    UWE, please stop messing balance and just focus on the netcode and performance please. Heavy action scenes are still a mess of random jumps/warps. Eye candy/Balance is no where as important as the gameplay, especially for the new player and retaining players. I've played over 700 hours and it's tiresome to keep adjusting my gameplay and learn new stuff. Just for once, can you please stay away from the balance (unless really critical) ...
    ixQlNtc.jpg
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Isn't that what life is about, learning new stuff and adjusting?
    Also, that "tiresome" new stuff is what keeps me interested for NS2. I'm waiting curiously for a new build to see what has changed and therefor to adopt. Well, I guess as much there are different people as much there are different mindsets.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    Im using DX9 full screen >> Still random crash about 15-20 minutes of gameplay , im already write a topic about this "random crash" in build 254

Sadly >>> This update is all about Reinforced skin ,players model

Would love to try...but...

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132143/255-black-screen-only-windowed-possible-xl2420t#latest

GG. Still.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    THE NUMBERS, PAKARS! WHAT DO THEY MEAN!

Blonde, brunette, redhead..
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Changing to DX9 and display from default to display 1 did do the trick for me in 254 fixing mouse lag. Now it's back again. Have said settings om fullscreen - how to fix the input lag? This is barely playable atm.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @blind undo what changes you've made to your default display?
    Leave a post in tech support forums, if not.
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No probs here, dx11 struggling with maintaining 80fps, dx9 I'm doing better than 250, maintaining at least 100fps with avg having to be around 130. 3325x1920 reso... Thanks!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @blind
    Which part? You shouldnt need to disable aero or desktop composition now if you are using DX9 fullscreen.
    Wondering if the toggling of the raw input and accel settings did it for you, then?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have serious issue with this build, nothing X menu related is working for me, including menu itself and hotkeys for taunts, requests.

I'm not using any mods.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    Performance got way better for me (dx9 fullscreen). Waaaay less mini-stuttering. More stable FPS .... i can now even stream ( thx to OBS as well..) + play without any harm to the gameplay/feeling.

Keep going!

Regards
  • nawoanawoa Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174777Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thanks for fixing the thing with cysts trying to connect to unconnected ones, that was a PITA.

I'm kinda unclear, what's the point of the DX11 mode?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    xen32 wrote: »
    I have serious issue with this build, nothing X menu related is working for me, including menu itself and hotkeys for taunts, requests.

I'm not using any mods.

When you say "menu itself" I assume you mean clicking on the menu as opposed to using hotkeys. Can you get any video of this in action, particularly on a server you can verify has no server-side mods? I've seen another report or two of this on techsupport/steam forums (can't remember which) but we can't seem to reproduce this. Creating a listen server and joining marines should be sufficient as you don't need the round to start to use the voice menu.

Edit: apparently this is actually already fixed for the next release build. Thanks for the report nonetheless. :)
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    The alt key sometimes pops up the system menu even in full screen mode and pressing other keys while having it pressed causes a beeping sound.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hm, I'm aware why and how this happens in windowed mode but fullscreen...dat ain't right.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Gorge tunnels - check the console after entering. If you want to be extra cool, use the "loadtimes" command and check the console any time you notice a large hitch or stutter like this as there might be an asset that isn't being precached that needs to be.

Console spams "Cooking Mesh ..." when entering gorge tunnels. Gives me a damn 10 second freeze. After that, the game got unplayable. Freezes of 1 - 5 seconds without any indication what would cause it.

I could imagine that cooking the meshes of the gorge tunnel needs RAM and therefor the process unloads textures to get free space and later freezes to reload those textures.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    Am I the only one who can't start the game anymore with the renderer crashing?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Open the system_options.xml file in notepad (found in %appdata%\natural selection 2\) and change the <device></device> value to <device>D3D9</device>.

If it's already DX9 then change the <window-mode></window-mode> to <window-mode>fullscreen</window-mode>.

If that still doesn't work, well shit.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Milanium wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can't start the game anymore with the renderer crashing?

Try switching render. I can't start the game with OpenGL.
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\system_options.xml

Edit this line:
    <device>
    D3D9
    </device>

Options are D3D9, D3D11, OpenGL
    Beat you to it, SUCCESS!
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited September 2013
    Linux Mint 15 x64 Cin. I have 16GB of system and it says: Could not allocate memory. I am having file match errors, cannot play on modded servers, got the red connection issue bug and sometimes certain inputs will just stop working and play back minutes later without me being able to do anything about it.

Windows on the other hand works fine. Mostly just some sluggish movement and i dunno from where it comes, but otherwise it is lovely. And i find the update to be quite meaningfull.

I just wish UWE would break the game less often.

It really has become abit of a hassle. There is no warnings, nothing. They just force it upon you and then you gotta deal with it. I dunno, if im gonna support you for that.

You guys need to give yourself more time for such massive releases
    and let people playtest more.