Step-by-step Mouse fix for NS2 (Windows 7)

schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
How to fix mouse lag issue in NS2.

//Disabling Mouse Acceleration in the Windows Registry//

Go to this link

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Download and run the mouse acceleration fix.

Restart your computer to confirm the change.

Do this change if you want. I have it for every game i play with Enhance pointer precision off in the mouse options of windows.

//Before launching NS2//

If you're running windows 7

-Right click your desktop

-Click Personalize

-Scroll down to "Windows 7 Basic"

-Click it.

Aero is now disabled.

Go to your Natural Selection 2 folder.

It is located under "Common" in your steam folder.

Find the NS2.exe

-Right click NS2.exe.

-Click Properties

-Go to compadibility tab

-Check "Disable desktop composition"

-Click ok

//After launching NS2

-Go to options

On the general tab locate "Raw Input" and "Mouse acceleration"

-Turn mouse acceleration "ON" and then turn raw input "Off"

-Click apply

-Close NS2

-Relaunch NS2

-Go back to options and undo what you just did.

Make sure mouse accel is off and make sure raw input is on.

-Click Apply

-Close NS2

-Relaunch and play.

Your Mouse is now fully fixed. Enjoy.

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    will this mess with other games? I know I know, what other games? with a 1000 hours sunk, it's a valid question, but please answer the question good sir.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This will change your sensitivity in every game due to no maccel in windows.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    You don't need to run some installer to disable acceleration. Just set the notched dial to position 6/11 from Mouse -> Pointer options, and it's off.
    You also need to set the pointer speed dial to 6/11 in addition to disabling pointer precision, to globally disable acceleration. If the "raw input" option in NS2 works as intended, then of course there's no need to do this. I'd do it anyway though because mouse accel is cancer.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    what ended up working for me was, changing from full screen to full screen windowed, in the back options. as we'll as changing to dx11, and some combination of the listed mouse fixed in this thread. basically, I did a modern day raindance.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Works for 255 - thanks!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Or try DX9 and fullscreen. It should be the same as pre 252 (which it is I tested)
    DX9 still causes input lag here...
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    remove aero from windows. Just kill it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    kalakuja wrote: »
    remove aero from windows. Just kill it.

Hey fk you buddy.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    do not use the mouse fix, disabling enhanced pointer precision turns off accel

If you still have accel it's in your mouse sensor(which means you'd need a new mouse), don't touch your registry if you don't know what you're doing

Run ns2 is dx9 fullscreen

Rightclick ns2.exe and go to properties - go to compatibility tab, check disable visual themes and disable desktop composition, apply, ok

Now you're fine; only now when you launch ns2 will it disable aero and etc, once you close the game aero will return
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If you run in fullscreen you don't need to diable desktop composition. They fixed it so DX9 fullscreen (only) works fine without it.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited May 2016
    Years later, this fix just worked for me. (Disabling desktop composition/visual themes). I can't believe I've been playing so long with a laggy mouse.

I wondered why CS: Source at 60fps had much sharper aiming, whereas 60fps in NS2 felt like 30fps. I just put it down to an engine/fps issue, but this fix works for other games I've tried too, namely Unity ones.

Turns out it's Aero being a dick.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Stardog wrote: »
    Years later, this fix just worked for me. (Disabling desktop composition/visual themes). I can't believe I've been playing so long with a laggy mouse.

I wondered why CS: Source at 60fps had much sharper aiming, whereas 60fps in NS2 felt like 30fps. I just put it down to an engine/fps issue, but this fix works for other games I've tried too, namely Unity ones.

Turns out it's Aero being a dick.

Just make sure you delete system32 as well. That slows your computer waaaay down. ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Stardog You're not playing in fullscreen windowed are you?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Stardog You're not playing in fullscreen windowed are you?

Wait, does that have negative effects? Because I'm pretty sure I am.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes of course it does :)
    It uses the windows compositor / Vsync ..
    So it's akin to using double buffered vsync in game... added mouse latency due to delayed frames.

Always use exclusive fullscreen.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yes of course it does :)
    It uses the windows compositor / Vsync ..
    So it's akin to using double buffered vsync in game... added mouse latency due to delayed frames.

Always use exclusive fullscreen.

But it makes alt tabbing a pain... I'll give it a try and see if I feel a difference.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Windowed fullscreen ftw
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    @IronHorse I was using exclusive fullscreen, but the input delay was still there.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Well if you have Windows 10 fullscreen won't help reducing input lag because vsync is always on by default (and cannot be turned off).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Well if you have Windows 10 fullscreen won't help reducing input lag because vsync is always on by default (and cannot be turned off).

No?
    @RevanCorana do you have a source for that?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    @RevanCorana do you have a source for that?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969540(v=vs.85).aspx
    Desktop composition uses vsync to remove tearing from ui animations since windows vista and it cannot be disabled since windows 8.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but since people playing in fullscreen with windows 7 recommend disabling it I assume it applies to fullscreen too.
    @RevanCorana No, as far as I know exclusive fullscreen changes the priority to that program, and therefore does not render any of the OS or background stuff - so no compositor.
    It's been like that since Vista. You are correct however that you cannot easily disable it otherwise.. it requires some registry editing ;)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @RevanCorana I can with 100% confidence disconfirm that claim. I have no problems turning off vsync in all my fullscreen applications on win10.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2016
    Hi i am originally one of the initial beta testers that Marc actually chose for this fix when Windows 7 was released as he used to frequent a forum back in the NS3.2 days (gameplanet NZ).

Originally i found out the bug that, if you uptick enhance mouse pointer precision then apply the fix it actually still applies some form of acceleration, which is why to truly get rid of it you need to leave windows 7/8/8.1/10 settings as the default. Apply the fix, restart. Disable acceleration in NS2 settings and set raw input off.

Or the other bug if you move too fast in y axis it throws your acceleration off and doesn't apply, those were fixed in the early stages and i'll thank the skulk for being the testbed :) so you can somewhat thank NS for the mouse fix everyone who enjoys pro gaming has, oh and you know how mice companies advertise that they have no acceleration? well Microsoft applies there own through windows and the only way to disable it is to use raw input(atleast with CSGO) or the mouse fix.

Just so happens i was also an alpha tester for the CRU refresh monitoring tool which allowed you to overclock your monitor, i had LCD panels overclocked before it even became a thing, so if you need any help on the correct way to Optimise and just generally to get your performance up to a progaymer standard i'll help you.

I am writing a guide and a website to account for all of my struggles in computer gaming and i'll be using NS 3.2 as a reference model as well as NS2. Natural Selection 2 is an interesting case to use though just simply because of the Spark engine and how inconsistent it is with computer hardware.

@RevanCorana That's incorrect in regards to v-sync
    @Ghost3
    Yeah, don't use a registry edit for mouse accel, just untick enable pointer precision. The reg fix is based on windows XP which had problems disabling it.

That's incorrect, the registry fix for MarC was released because the original mousefix.reg that everyone used prior for XP no longer worked for windows 7 and that was because microsoft changed how mouse input was handled, ignorance is great these days and i love conversing with people in game till they no longer spew from there mouth.