Build 255 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    aeroripper wrote: »
    With the choose spawn option, I see contaminate + egg echo + gorge eggs being an interesting strat now. Tell all your players when they die to select the eggs hidden near marine start to all spawn as gorges and rush base. Throw in a shade for good measure.

Also dropping off eggs around the map for people to spawn at.

I also like the idea of choosing your upgrades while waiting to spawn.

Pretty sure echoing eggs cost res, and you're going to risk all of your team being dead for a push that may fail, don't forget any marine who catches this at spawn can most likely kill the eggs, or give the que for the team to to push
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I read about the D3D9 "improvements" and tried it out. I still miss around 60 fps in the menu compared to a few builds ago and when I load biodome and join a team, my fps is between 2-58 and everywhere are checkerboard bugs. I decided that it isn't yet the time for me to enjoy biodome and pressed esc -> crash to desktop! Oh, and every single time I load a map, stuff compiles...don't tell me it will take 10 builds and 1,5-3 months to iron this out...pls
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    Pakars wrote: »

THE NUMBERS, PAKARS! WHAT DO THEY MEAN!

Seems someone has been slacking recently on the newest Dan Brown's fascinating revelations. You need to catch up, man, it's all fabulariously, astonishingly amalgamizing!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    any plans on letting us bind mwheelup + mwheeldown in the options?

I'd love you long time
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know DX11 performance is still being worked on. That is fine. I hope part of the work includes getting SLI/Crossfire to work again. When I play DX11, it runs exactly like I don't have a 2nd video card, yet DX9 is fine. I know the SLI profiles have been out a very long time. They must not work for DX11.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited September 2013
    win 7 64. Dx9 fullscreen. i7 3770k 3.5GHz. gtx570. 16GB. All SSD.

- Still getting a black screen when loading has finished. Stays like that for about 5 second.
    - Biodome = Still lag-odome. Parts of this map go from 114 FPS to 15 FPS. I can play it, but it's a mess of mixed performance.
    - Marines are very hard to kill as Skulk. Haven't played marine for a while but they jump (high) all over the place, endlessly.

- Remaining pre 255 bug: Losing sounds again. Playing as Fade, i can't hear the 'woosh / blink' sounds suddenly.

Don't care about the sounds for now, performance is what makes the gameplay fun.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Is the input lag completely fixed with this update?
    Like before 251?
    (I can't check, uninstalled the game)
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    hozz wrote: »
    Like before 251?

You know the best way to find out, don't you?

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I was hoping for more changes on alien side and/or balance (or removal).
    I will update and then play... combat.
    Sad.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was hoping for more changes on alien side and/or balance (or removal).
    I will update and then play... combat.
    Sad.

Dude... first update after reinforced. They have their priorities right: get the incentives out to those that supported. They already made some performance improvements (so more people can play better). They'll get to balance.
  • B166ERDKB166ERDK Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187770Members, Reinforced - Gold
    OMG why did you not fix any of the Linux bugs? for example the bug that you have to start Steam with LANG=en_US or else you get a black screen?

Or the bug that makes the game crash if you use the high textures setting??

Cmon son!!!
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Like before 251?

You know the best way to find out, don't you?
    You mean, like asking people? :P
    Don't worry, I'll reinstall soon enough.

But:
    I don't want this thing fixed for me alone, I want it fixed for everyone.

For the same reason why people react aggressively to things like "mouse acceleration is activated by default" (not the case in NS2, but other games). Nobody likes an advantage that other people can't be expected to have as well, by default, in a competitive game. That ruins the fun of winning, if you won just because the playing field wasn't even.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    edited September 2013
    zeep wrote: »
    win 7 64. Dx9 fullscreen. i7 3770k 3.5GHz. gtx570. 16GB. All SSD.

- Still getting a black screen when loading has finished. Stays like that for about 5 second.
    - Biodome = Still lag-odome. Parts of this map go from 114 FPS to 15 FPS. I can play it, but it's a mess of mixed performance.
    - Marines are very hard to kill as Skulk. Haven't played marine for a while but they jump (high) all over the place, endlessly.

- Remaining pre 255 bug: Losing sounds again. Playing as Fade, i can't hear the 'woosh / blink' sounds suddenly.

Don't care about the sounds for now, performance is what makes the gameplay fun.

Same for me , load map times and spawn time are huge. Make boring while loading screens if server change map very continuosly. Get some random desktop crash fixed but still some with a memory windows warning. I still seeing happens very often when servers are near full i think when more ppl trying to join makes me crash.There is a perfomance pc hardware filter? consistency check? Maybe then is what makes me crash coz i have oldie pc. amd4600 x2 2gb ddr400 nvidia gts250 1gb ddr3
    Btw seems more stable hope next will continuing fixing.

ths
  • LtJunoLtJuno Join Date: 2011-07-08 Member: 109043Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Correct. Will be available SOON™.
    Yup, the model is going through the high poly stage right now. It will likely still be another few weeks before they are fully modeled, textured and rigged and added to the game.

Cool thanks both of you.
    I am no man, I want to be me. :p
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    edited September 2013
    Uhmm so, Pulse Grenades now work like Mines? Or do they have a lifetime limit?
    If they don't, I think this is a quite dangerous change. I'll explain why.

1 Mine:
    125 LIGHT damage, 5 res cost

1 Pulse Grenade
    110 NORMAL damage, 1.5 res cost

I could stack 5 pulse grenades, for a total of 550 dmg, at a mere 7.5 cost, and instagib a 40+ res fade.
    This is assuming they deal full damage in their radius as they explode, I might be wrong there.

Edit: I've just tried pulse grenades in Explore mode and... they just explode normally :O
    Maybe the proximity thing is to make them explode even earlier in case they get in contact with an alien....
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Some weird stuff and black armor in options when it should not be there. Don't know if b255 specific.
    UjaAF7P.jpg
    menu
    K9tX713.jpg
    female marine deluxe armor
    yeIGn15.jpg
    male marine reloading

Also female marine walks/runs oddly while reloading(rifle at least) at the same time. And black armor = green armor for me, so at least it doesn't work.

edit: yes, thirdperson view. anyway that worked better before :)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Are you using the thirdperson cheat? There's a lot of weird animation bugs that appear using thirdperson that you won't see in-game normally.

As for pulse grenades: the proximity fuse means that the grenade doesn't require you to get a contact hit for them to be effective, and the grenade will detonate nearby an alien if you miss it by a few feet. It's still a grenade, and still has a (short) timer fuse as well.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've noticed the babbler icons ingame keep disappearing and re-appearing for different players.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The icons disappear for a brief moment when players swap models. If you can see them disappearing for longer amounts of time any repro steps would be helpful (as that was supposed to be fixed).
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    UWE, please stop messing balance and just focus on the netcode and performance please. Heavy action scenes are still a mess of random jumps/warps. Eye candy/Balance is no where as important as the gameplay, especially for the new player and retaining players. I've played over 700 hours and it's tiresome to keep adjusting my gameplay and learn new stuff. Just for once, can you please stay away from the balance (unless really critical) ...
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    cpt000 wrote: »
    UWE, please stop messing balance and just focus on the netcode and performance please.

What makes you think they are not focusing on the performance issues? There is more than 1 programmer and making minor LUA code changes to change balance does not take a long time.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    Like before 251?

No, it's not. There is still massive input lag in dx9 for me whilst dx11 has some minor input lag. So it's pretty much the same as before.

This patch brought some really nasty lag issue though; every time a round is finished and you're supposed to go back to the ready room everything stops (that red connection icon appears as in if you're having a connection error) and after about 15-20 seconds everything goes back to normal.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    pro:
    * performance WAY better for me YAY!
    * no input lag at all for me
    * DX9 around 80 - 90 fps (gForce 660Ti)
    * extreme long freezes are mostly gone

con:
    * skill info system in server browser seems borked
    * red plug of doom error back
    * "compiling shaders" in console keeps appearing every map load
    * one real nasty freeze when entering the gorge tunnel for the first time
    * errors appearing in console
    * some stutter from time to time remains (freezes up to 1 second, especially when moving through PG)
    * server performance seems to remain worse than before reinforced
    At the risk of sounding condescending (and directed at no one in particular), do make sure that you are using fullscreen D3D9 first before trying other render modes. Also, fullscreen is not the same as fullscreen windowed.

The console is lying to you when it says it's compiling shaders on every map load. If it was doing a full shader compile it would take much, much longer. I'm not Steve/Dushan/Max so I can't tell you why it's doing that but that's what they tell us.

We're looking into the "red plug" problem now.

Gorge tunnels - check the console after entering. If you want to be extra cool, use the "loadtimes" command and check the console any time you notice a large hitch or stutter like this as there might be an asset that isn't being precached that needs to be.

Last but not least, the technical support forum is the best place to get problems resolved. Be detailed in your explanations and provide system specs so that people can help as much as possible. :)
  • hyckshycks Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186848Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    focus on the netcode and performance please !!! some lags some rollback :( with B255
  • SkulkBaitsSkulkBaits Join Date: 2013-06-13 Member: 185549Members
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Waiting 4-8 seconds to respawn only to spend an additional 3-6 seconds to upgrade is a huge difference

If time is really that important your commander should be misting you.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Performance is the same, maybe even slightly worse, but the mouse lag is worse for me in 255. Nearly unplayable. Running dirx9 and deffo have fullscreen on and not windowed.

Marine spaz jumping is out of control now. In all my years of gaming its the most frustrating thing ever as a Alien and laughably easy to do as a Marine. Im average and getting attacked by 2 or more aliens doesn't bother me at all even when ambushed. It was bad enough before and now its just a joke tbh.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    ^ @skulkbaits no.
    Reeke wrote: »

yes to the above.

• HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I'd love you long time

Most important is having a binding option per class! OR am i wrong?
    For Aliens the classes would be obviously Skulk, Gorge, Lerk, Fade and Onos.
    For marines it would be Foot Soldier, Jetpacker, Exo. Or maybe even better you define your Marine classes by yourself through gear combinations!
    And last but not least separate commando bindings for Marines and Aliens.

Is it soooo difficult to implement?! I would you love even longer time, @UWE. :x