New Alien Vision

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The default vision mode is alright, but something like the minimal vision mod does it better and is easier to distinguish marines in hectic battles:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

The 'dark room' alien vision isn't useful since there's barely any times where you really need to use it since you have default vision outlines. If rooms stayed pitch dark when power was fully out, then it would be massively handy.

• TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    elodea wrote: »
    Tykjen wrote: »
    Wow. Never thought UE would do a total crap decision..

Ive always hated that Aliens by default have same vision as humans so it made it kooler and more immersive to use the AV. But now? I wont even bother to play ns2 as alien.
    Calm down :p. There are plenty of alien vision mods to choose from on ns2 workshop.

True that! Now I am calm. Thanks
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Hi,

was thinking about make a new thread just to say the same thing. I find playing alien less fun because of it.

I find the new vision horrible, you hardly see if you hit a marine (well, this might be a hitbox & damage-feedback problem, but the vision certainly doesn't help) and you have difficulty tracking things in fight.

However, I find the new parasited-marine vision interesting (when seeing a parasited marine, when not having the alien vision; or I might be too drunk because I didn't play for a long time if nothing changed there).
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Must keep thread active... Squeaky wheel and all that!!

Bring back AV!!
  • PutrefaxPutrefax Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187774Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Isn't it ironic how searching the forums for a phrase leads the white text you're searching for to be hilighted in a bright orange, just like the new Alien Vision?

Although i agree UW needed to change it from before, there was just no reason to turn it off before, this new mode is really hard to distinguish stuff, even in a dark room. If you do use it in the dark, like you're supposed to, it's not identifying marines that's the problem - it's depth perception. Like where corners are and intervening obstacles is REALLY hard to determine when everything is a very similar shade of orange. I think the contrast just needs to be tweaked a tiny bit, just to account for depth/distance, and it should be perfectlly playable.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    There were several reasons to turn it off before. Turning it off made it easier to track bilebombs and spit and to check how dark an area was and made glass not completely invisible.

Not that there needed to be a reason to turn it off. Nothing wrong with having an ability that's useful all the time if it isn't hurting gameplay.
    What would be helpful to address these threads, would be if they made some form of official statement as to their reasoning this would allow us to logically appeal the change instead ofbitch
    and moan... but i guess its easier to ignore bitching/moaning then reason...

@tyrsis no one is really sure why they changed it theory's range from

1. AV was OP (balance)
    2. AV was never intended to look like it did (fix)
    3. AV was not cosmetically appealing (promote bio?)
    4. AV needed a negative (fix)
    5. AV was never turned off (balance?)

I have heard each of these from different play-tester leads/developers/swelek and i have heard each of these denied by them as well.... seems to be only a matter of time of day to determine their stance...

arguments against these have been made...

1. Aliens should have the advantage and be OP in melee combat they sure arnt at an advantage at range against a gun...
    2/3. If its cosmetic let us make the choice (put in an option in the settings) dont make us use mods that snobbish div 1-3 players will sneer at
    4/5. Does normal vision need a negative because I NEVER use the new alien vision... EVER (especially when iv been drinking)

Keep on complaining guys.... they know we hate it maybe they will succumb to peer pressure!!! CHange it BACK!!!!
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I've made two versions of alien vision:

Tweaked orange background: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174440948

Green background http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175139523

and for those lookin' for a "good time": http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175403577

@twiliteblue, The green one looks sexy, thanks. Any chance you could make the highlighted stuff slightly brighter though? What I mean is that the background is pale and disinteresting, doesn't attract the eye (this is good), but to an extent the orange highlighted stuff is too, it needs to "glow" stick out, but not rape your eyes too.

EDIT: Basically would like remade version of your neo one from way back!
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    i think they did a good job with the outlined marines, i personally never use alien flashlight. too overloaded and bright and the normal vision is already really good even in dark rooms.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like the new vision. I have always missed that as aliens I didn't see any artwork. I might have to spend slightly more time locating marines, but it was a bit too easy before.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want a version that has no outlining what so ever. Just the normal vision of the map, and then alien vision to highlight things.

Is that even still possible? The minimal alien vision mod on the workshop is now nothing but highlighting, cannot be turned off at all.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm sure that's possible, just remove the filter on the background things and leave the lit objects.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the old AV should be used when walking on infestation. and the new and "improved" AV could be used otherwise.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013

Finally! Pyro-Vision in NS2! YAY! :D

On a more serious note: I repeat, take HUZEs Minimal Alien Vision as default view. Outlines are not enough when the marine is in your face. You lose track of him, because all you are left with at melee-distance is an orange vertical line. Marines need a colored surface, so you can tell on which side of that orange line the marine is! Like in HUZEs mod.
    @twiliteblue Much better visually (didn't turn my stomach). Still wish we could reduce visual clutter.
  • DayMasterDayMaster Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186277Members
    edited September 2013
    Tell please as I can do alien vision as on screen on main game page ?

3157161m.jpg

As i can shut off orange contours around enemies and play as on this screen without all contours ?
  • DayMasterDayMaster Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186277Members
    Tell please as I can do alien vision as on screen om main game page ?
    3157161m.jpg
    I want shut off orange contours around enemies and play as this screen without all contours.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    I think they need to change the color scheme back to the old green/orange one.

I understand that Alien vision is something that is only supposed to be used in dark areas... but the red surroundings with ULTRA BRIGHT white enemies/structures is just brutal on my eyes. Even in complete darkness highlighted enemies/structures are way too bright.

They REALLY need to go back to the green/orange setup while keeping the "glare" effect when in lighted areas to keep people from using it 24/7. It was just SO much easier on the eyes.

Also I absolutely HATE the way enemies are outlined with normal vision now. It makes them downright HARD to track when up close. Maybe the best solution would be three levels of Alien vision... Completely off - Enemies/structures outlined - Full nightvision.

As someone who only used Alien vision in the dark and liked the normal "off" vision, I feel royally screwed by this change. I don't even bother to attack Marines in darkness anymore because it's so harsh on my eyes.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Vast majority of the NS2 community do not like the new AV but the devs have said it’s staying the way it is. So in other words the devs do not care about the community but still have the balls to ask for more money.

Now for the players that don’t like it I totally agree with you, for the players that don’t care about the game and will just take whatever UWE will give them here’s a few.

• It was op, and your point is? If marines have flashlights, commander has scan and marines have minimap then it should be a bit op especially since as aliens their sight should be better than the marines.
    • If it was a fix then why was the old AV left for so long? This is not about a fix it simply changing it since no one had a problem with it before (now there were some saying that you couldn’t see flashlights, well then there actually was a reason to turn it off).
    • If the idea behind it was fix it so aliens were “forced to see the detail and only use it .1% of the time” then UWE is DEAD wrong.

It very odd how in patches beforehand UWE will change small sections of maps or small details of the game for a few players of the game but when the vast majority of players don’t like the new AV, their solid as a rock.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DayMaster wrote: »
    Tell please as I can do alien vision as on screen on main game page ?

3157161m.jpg

As i can shut off orange contours around enemies and play as on this screen without all contours ?

You can't. They took it out of the game and replaced it with what we have now. I'm pretty sure everyone would like the old alien vision back.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure everyone likes the current alien vision.

See! I can make blanket statements that are not true as well.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Im pretty sure its not changing

So get used to it or mod it

(Starting a new fad)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    DayMaster wrote: »
    Tell please as I can do alien vision as on screen om main game page ?
    3157161m.jpg
    I want shut off orange contours around enemies and play as this screen without all contours.

Alien Vision: Reloaded is now on steam workshop -- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177338785
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    Can someone make that for marines as well?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CyberKun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure everyone likes the current alien vision.

See! I can make blanket statements that are not true as well.

lol you're one of maybe 3 or 4 people that I've seen say they like the new alien vision. take a peek into the /r/ns2 mumble and ask people's opinion sometime.. you'll find that the old alien vision is preferred almost unanimously.

broad generalizations are bad, except for when they're true. the new alien vision provides 0 benefits over the old one. and it's ugly as shit.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I hate the outlined normal vision with a passion. It makes tracking Marines at comp level unnecessarily difficult in cqc.
    I haven't used the new alien vision at all because it is hopeless. Normal vision is better in the dark. So we've gone from most people using av only to almost everyone never using it.

FFS UWE change it back or at the least give us an uncluttered alternative like old av. @Hugh are you even listening? ??