What happened to weldable, breakable door?

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
I remember they were a part of the originally promised features.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    They weren't very fun in practice I think so they got taken out until such time that they could be made more fun, if ever.
  • XiianXiian Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187711Members
    I like the idea of welding a door shut. I can see how it could backfire on the marines though.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    They weren't very fun in practice I think so they got taken out until such time that they could be made more fun, if ever.

I really don't get what's up with the designers of NS2, they'll add in ridiculous things like making all but 2 weapons hopeless explosives, yet won't do something which makes the game feel more dynamic like welding areas shut.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members

All they ever tried was doors.

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As far as i can remember in a pre-release Q&A it was said, that it should work, but they don't know why. It didn't fix itself, so I think the idea was dropped due priorities
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We tried it in playtests, it wasnt proving to be fun, and had a lot of gameplay issues so the best solution was to just drop them.

Sometimes a feature sounds cool as hell, but in practice turns out to not be. You have to try these things otherwise you'll never know. :)
  • victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    except now i can't try it. =(

i mean.. you couldn't have made it a *toggle* at least? people on my server seem to miss the feature
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    victort wrote: »
    except now i can't try it. =(

i mean.. you couldn't have made it a *toggle* at least? people on my server seem to miss the feature
    Ditto. I never saw and knew about this when I played NS2 during my Christmas 2012 break. :(
  • X3N0X3N0 Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186662Members
    edited September 2013
    +1 for welding vents. Perhaps if the welded vent could be bitten through, or a weld kit had to be researched and bought. I'd buy that every marine game on Veil for that damn skylight vent...
  • victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    X3N0 wrote: »
    +1 for welding vents. Perhaps if the welded vent could be bitten through, or

yah, +1 to this..

it would be awesome if you could weld the doors, as marine. but could only break the weld with Onos, or dissolve the weld with Gorge.

US$0.02++
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welding vents was always a pretty cool feature in ns1. Welding doors however sounds great on paper but comes with too much troll factor and gameplay issues. Imagine rookies welding every door shut because they think its a good idea.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Welding vents sounds cool, I did not play NS1, what the aliens could do to counter it? Bile bomb?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    NS welding was a one way thing per round, weld shut/open (engine limitations?)

NS2 welding was supposed to be an anything goes type of scenario I think
  • LordNecromancerLordNecromancer Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35859Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah, The good old days on NS1
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    edited September 2013
    US$0.02++

3 cents?
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    NS welding was a one way thing per round, weld shut/open (engine limitations?)

NS2 welding was supposed to be an anything goes type of scenario I think

In Hera you could open/close the weldable door multiple times
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    If I recall correctly, doors could be locked\unlocked by the commander. Later aliens could chew through the doors and break them forever. Both features were removed.

I would like to see vent welding come back in some fashion though.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I really liked the "tenseness" of breaking into alien territory and trying to get a vent/door welded closed, so you could establish a forward base. I suppose the problem is that aliens have no similar ability, making it hard to balance and make fun.

P.S. I agree welding vents is a bit more interesting, as it doesn't block both teams.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    wopwop wrote: »
    US$0.02++

3 cents?
    Well technically it keeps adding up using ++ like that, one way to make moneys I guess >:)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NedStar wrote: »
    Welding vents was always a pretty cool feature in ns1. Welding doors however sounds great on paper but comes with too much troll factor and gameplay issues. Imagine rookies welding every door shut because they think its a good idea.
    That's pretty much what happened in practice when it was in the beta. More often then not, marines were hurting themselves more than helping with door welding.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited September 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I remember they were a part of the originally promised features.

I added those features in my ExtraEntitiesMod:
    www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123297

Breakables, elevators and trains are not working perfect but the rest does its job.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited September 2013
    Maybe UWE could limit the amount of doors to be welded shut... like only 1 door welded shut per level so there is not multiple doors all over the place welded closed. once door is broken by the aliens, the marines could either go choose another door to weld immediately or re-weld the busted door after a very long repair process.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What I was hoping for is that after the aliens broke the door back open, only they could use it somehow (maybe infestation). That way, the marines get an early advantage when the door is welded, but aliens get the reverse later on.
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    None of the maps have doors well one map has like 2 doors. But +1 to welding vents :D
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    Sorry for the bump, but I really am interested in this. I think that adding weldables back into NS2 will promote new strategy in game players.

I remember many times in NS1 matches, things were pretty gridlocked and a few times on marines we had to do a few 'bet the farm' strategies on weldable areas. The risk was losing base while trying to open up new territory (welding took a many seconds perhaps a few minutes) but the reward was unlocking an area of great strategic value. While the areas generally favored the marines, it was always an exciting twist as an alien seeing the map geometry change when you discovered marines unlocked access to new areas that you once controlled.

All in all, I think this should come back. Also, for those who wish to recreate NS1 maps, without the weldable functions, they may not be able to bring back the entire flare of the map (NS_lost comes to mind.)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'll..allow it.

Why wasn't this put into NS2 again? Time limits? Balance?
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah its a shame. I really miss weldable doors... Added a nice dynamic